We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Chelidonium majus var. lacinatum  (Read 1174 times)

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
Chelidonium majus var. lacinatum
« on: June 08, 2016, 08:09:23 AM »

I saw this plant for the first time two weeks ago when visiting Bide-a-Wee Cottage Gardens http://www.bideawee.co.uk/ having only read about it previously.  Its a weird form of Greater Celandine where the leaves and the flowers are finely divided; an old-fashioned variety associated with E.A. Bowles.  You can buy seeds but I have never got any to germinate, despite the fact that the ordinary form happily seeds itself around my garden.  Does anybody grow this?  I'm looking for fresh seeds (a bit later in the year) or small plants that can be raised and left to self-seed.
Almost in Scotland.

Richard Green

• Journal Access Group
  • SRGC Treasurer
Re: Chelidonium majus var. lacinatum
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2016, 06:26:23 PM »
I did have it growing from AGS seedlist seed (Autumn 2013 I think).  The Hardy Plant Soc also had it in their list a few years back.  It was not as strongly growing as the standard type, so I must check whether it is still alive with me this year.
Richard Green - Balfron Station, West Central Scotland

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
Re: Chelidonium majus var. lacinatum
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2016, 07:44:21 AM »
Any tips for getting it to germinate, Richard?  I did wonder about its strength and vigour as it seems to remain quite small.  I also came across a few plants growing at Fullers Mill Garden http://www.fullersmillgarden.org.uk/ when I was there earlier this week. 
Almost in Scotland.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal