We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: New Meconopsis Hybrids  (Read 2748 times)

Allan Jamieson

New Meconopsis Hybrids
« on: May 28, 2016, 04:13:52 PM »
I don't post here very often on this website but thought I might share some images of some interesting and brand new hybrids which I have flowered for the first time this springtime. They are from a cross that I made using pollen from the plant originally thought to be true betonicifolia (now thought to be a hybrid) ex Stanley Ashmore in Alaska, which I think is maybe MG93 on the current Meconopsis Group List and crossed onto a seedling I grew from allegedly wild collected grandis seed which I obtained some years at a Meconopsis Group Meeting in Edinburgh. The grandis plant produced a single stunning flower on a fairly long single stem, I was kind of hoping that the seedlings would take after this side of the family as the other parent was fairly unremarkable in its flowers, although it had attractively betonate leaves with fairly sharp indentations compared to the usual more rounded baileyi foliage.

Will enclose some of the hybrid images in next posting

Allan Jamieson

New Meconopsis Hybrid, Parents Part 2
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2016, 04:21:35 PM »
Don't know what happened there but did try to attach 4 different images to first post but only got one showing, they should all be visible in this post

Allan Jamieson

New Meconopsis Hybrids
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2016, 04:38:03 PM »
These are a few images of the seedlings which grew on very strongly last summer after germination and all had foliage very similar to George Sheriff Group plants. However, these plants are on the whole very much taller than George Sheriff Group plants, I measured the tallest plants flowering stems yesterday and averaged somewhere around 1.25 metres in height, which is rather impressive. Just over half of the plants have produced flowering stems similar to good grandis and George Sheriff Group plants and the rest have produced some very unusual pygmy flower stems which then split and produce very long individual flowering stems, one of them looks almost like simplicifolia with no flowering stem at all and just a few short individual flowers on separate stems with no leaves on the stems. The flowers are also pretty good quality too, good colour of blue in most of them, some have round buds and others more usual elongated buds, some have deeper, more cupped flowers. Not clear how perennial they will be as yet, as so far only around 9 of them have produced any offsets but more are still appearing and these seem to run, appearing some distance from the flowering stems, which is I think similar to the alleged betonicifolia side of the family. The first flowers on some of the plants were very large, which maybe isn't obvious in these pictures.

Here are a random selection of images from these seedlings, I have loads more but don't want to bore people with too many images!

It was nice to see that people seemed to like my Meconopsis hybrid seedling which was used on the Harperley Hall Stand at Chelsea, pity I don't even have a single plant of it in my own garden!

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: New Meconopsis Hybrids
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2016, 06:17:30 PM »
Very interesting to see these plants, Allan. Thanks for sharing. 

(I have merged your  various posts into this thread - you can simply click "reply" to add another post to the thread - no need to start a new topic each time)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

ichristie

• Former President
Re: New Meconopsis Hybrids
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2016, 07:28:50 PM »
Hello Alan all plants very interesting indeed I have a supposed M. betonicifolia which flowers here very tall around  very different to any of yours not open yet 1.65 meters very different flowers not open yet will post later ,cheers Ian the Christie kind.
Ian ...the Christie kind...
from Kirriemuir

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal