We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Pleione leaves  (Read 1847 times)

Alex

• Oxford, U.K.
Pleione leaves
« on: May 25, 2016, 11:58:35 AM »
A quick one: does anybody know the significance of these small pleats that sometimes appear on the edge of growing Pleione leaves?

The below P. coronaria is an example. I was worried about virus, although this plant produced a nice flower with no colour or shape irregularities at all. Could it be to do with water supply in the growing leaf? it reminds me a bit of the leaf pleating one sees in tropical orchids when they grow with inadequate watering.

Thanks,

Alex

karel_t

• Pleione Wizard's Apprentice
    • The Czech Pleione Website
Re: Pleione leaves
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2016, 10:24:49 PM »
Hi Alex,
I'm convinced, that these pleated edges are not due to any virus. However I can't explained them. Sometime they disappear during the season.
Karel
Prague, Czech Republic
www.pleione.cz

Alex

• Oxford, U.K.
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2016, 12:10:37 AM »
Thank you, Karel - that is good to hear. I worry a lot about this! I must say, the pleats are becoming less clear as the leaf grows, which I guess is a good thing.

LarsB

• The Fearless One
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2016, 02:07:16 PM »
Hi Alex,

In many other orchids it would be a sign of irregular or missing watering, so i think your theory about the water is likely to be the explanation.
Lars in Roedovre, Denmark.

sjusovare

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2016, 05:49:15 PM »
I've seen that on some of my pleiones too, but rather than wwater, I'd think it is more irregularity in growth caused by sudden temperature/humidity changes, especially since those often occure on developping leaves,often before the roots even start to grow much, so water intake could not be blamed
Julien

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal