We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Anemone pavonina  (Read 2067 times)

P. Kohn

Anemone pavonina
« on: May 21, 2016, 07:59:48 PM »
Some years ago we obtained a very fine scarlet form of this species from Rob Asbridge at Buckland Plants and would dearly like to propagate it. We have managed to divide the plant and a portion is now on the Mediterranean Bed of the Sheffield Botanic Garden but we would also like to propagate from seed. Although we can germinate seeds- for example, seeds sown on Boxing Day germinated in late February and have developed to small seedlings but these now have decided to die back for the summer and previous experience suggests they will not reappear in the Autumn. Does anyone know how to overcome this problem. Presumably being Ranunculaceae they might benefit from sowing fresh but I think we tried this and didn't do any better - small seedlings by Autumn but no reappearance in Spring. Presumably the plant doesn't rely on vegetative propagation alone so what is the secret ?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 08:26:54 PM by Maggi Young »

Tristan_He

Re: Anemone pavonina
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2016, 09:48:10 PM »
I'm afraid I don't know. However, Ashwood Nurseries grow a lot of this species from seed. Perhaps you could ask their advice?

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2016, 11:34:07 AM »
We grew Anemone pavonina from SRGC Seedex seed a few years ago, kept in a pot till 2 years old then planted out in a raised bed where they are now self-seeding. Moving the small tubers when only a year old invariably means their death :'(
I would suggest keeping the seed-pot dry over the summer once the foliage yellows off to avoid the tubers rotting,
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

P. Kohn

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2016, 12:28:32 PM »
Thanks for the advice, Fermi. We have the bad habit of pricking everything out as soon as we can handle it. Works really well for most things but sounds like Anemone pavonina is an honourable exception !

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2016, 11:56:45 PM »
I think we talked about this somewhere else recently, maybe Pulsatilla aurea and occidentalis? (Anemone's close relatives of course.) And Chadwell and others recommend for An. biflora, leaving the seedlings severely alone until they have finished a second season in the seed pot. I lost a potful of An. caucasica from moving them out too soon. Occasionally neglect or laziness turns out to be the best policy! ???
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal