We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Switching Hemispheres  (Read 3186 times)

Calvin Becker

Switching Hemispheres
« on: December 04, 2008, 11:37:17 AM »
Hi all

I'm wondering if there are any techniques/methods that can be used to help switch the growth cycle of bulbs/corms etc from one hemisphere to another?

Thanks
Plant pathologist (in training)
Johannesburg/Pietermaritzburg, South Africa

Ezeiza

Re: Switching Hemispheres
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 02:52:36 PM »
Hi Calvin:

In case of crocuses, do not waste your time. Seed is easy but corms practically fade away and leave nothing by planting time, no matter what they tell you. We have tried dozens of crocuses and it was almost impossible to phase them in. As seed, they are quite easy.

Regards
Alberto
Alberto Castillo, in south America, near buenos Aires, Argentina.

Thomas Huber

• Neustadt Croconut
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 04:26:57 PM »
I can't agree with you Alberto!

Meanwhile I have switched a lot of Southern Crocus to the Northern hemisphere.
But I agree that it isn't easy and I have lost a lot of the plants. The ones that survived
have obviously suffered from the hemisphere-changing and most will not flower in
the following season, but it IS possible:

Plant them in pots as soon as you get them, put them outside to imitate their winter.
They will flower from March to May. After flowering you have to put them in a cool place
to avoid dormancy as long as possible (NO direct sun!!).
In June they will wither, next season you can plant them like
the other plants from the Northern hemisphere.

This works also with Galanthus, but as far I have tried not with Fritillarias.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 04:31:46 PM by Thomas Huber »
Thomas Huber, Neustadt - Germany (230m)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2008, 07:48:45 PM »
Generally I would agree with Thomas. I NEVER leave them out of the ground or chill them as this inevitabley uses up whatever reserves of energy they have. I almost always pot them and yes, they'll come up out of season but as Thomas says, keep them growing as long as possible in cool conditions, and they will either die down then come up again at the right time or they will sometimes come up half way, taking 2 full seasons to adjust. Oddly, it is often the easier bulbs that are most difficult to acclimatize. Frits I've had no problems with, nor even juno irises but narcissus for example, I've struggled with. Crocuses have been OK and cyclamen likewise.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Ezeiza

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2008, 08:51:06 PM »
Hello:

Sorry for my telegraphic message. I should have added "except in cool climates". Admittedly for you people it is normal to phase corms in (most corms are annual, bulbs are perennial and can endure the change of Hemispheres routinely) in New Zealand as is here in cool Patagonia. BUT, from a cool North Hemisphere origin to a warm South Hemisphere location the problem is a serious one. From fat nice adult corms what is left at the end of the season is a miserable tiny new corm. Mature corms capable of reproduction are not the best material.

Curiously, one or two year old seedlings phase in a lot more easily.
I apologize for not being clear enough.

Regards

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2008, 07:38:57 AM »
Hi all

I'm wondering if there are any techniques/methods that can be used to help switch the growth cycle of bulbs/corms etc from one hemisphere to another?

Thanks

One suggestion we heard in NZ at the January Study Weekend was to twin scale the bulbs! (Narcissus, galanthus mainly) As the bulbs form bulbils quickly and these will sprout into growth at the proper time for their new home.
Can't try it myself as all bulb imports have to go into quarantine for many months; I just buy from nurserymen who do the importing.
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2008, 04:28:50 PM »
I have acclimatised Narcissus successfully by planting the dormant bulbs immediately on arrival (I use a clay pot) and keeping just moist (mine are plunged in damp sand) and cool/partly shaded until leaves appear, which can be quite quickly, depending on what is the normal growth period. Once growing, keep moist as long as they are showing growth, and they will eventually go dormant at the right time for you, with any luck. After that treat as normal. If you have enough, try chipping one and they will probably form good bulbils within a couple of weeks.
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Ezeiza

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2008, 07:00:50 PM »
Hello:

We are drifting to "Switching subjects" now as the original question concerned phasing in ANNUAL corms and not PERENNIAL bulbs.

Best
Alberto

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2008, 05:17:55 AM »
Alberto,

I'm confused Alberto.... I can't find where only annual corms were mentioned?  The original request was as follows.....

Hi all

Thanks

Am I missing something?  In a later response Calvin talked about Narcissus and Galanthus etc, so I'm even more confused as to the annual bit?  ???
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Ezeiza

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2008, 12:17:38 PM »
Hi Paul:

The original question was how to change Hemispheres for crocuses, which is not a straightforward process. You are right that Calvin also asked about bulbs. But the degree of difficulty for both groups of plants is not the same.

Best and great to find you so well

Alberto

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2008, 12:59:02 PM »
Hi all

Thanks

Here is the original question.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Tim Summers

• The Bulb Baron
    • Kindred Bulbs
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2008, 01:57:39 AM »
Hi all

Thanks

Hi Calvin.
Im a professional importer  of bulbs to Australia, from Holland and a bulb enthusiast. I have been watching Ian Youngs bulb log with great interest. I have a wide experience with acclimatising bulbs of most common genera. Some species are very difficult to acclimatise across hemispheres but it is possible for most bulbs. Crocus and Narcissus are very easy and not a secret in the industry, as many professional growers have been doing it for many years, along with Tulips, Iris Hyacinths and Liliums.
For Crocus, you should plant immediately on arrival and keep as cool as possible (9 degrees Celsius ideally) for 2-4 weeks to allow roots to grow. Then they should be refrigerated (2 Celsius will do) for about 12 weeks or when the flower shoots get too long. You can then bring them out into an alpine/shade house till they flower and leaves grow and senesce. This should be about March in Southern Hemisphere or Sept in north. They then need heating to at least 25 Celsius until  mid May, then planted out. They will emerge a bit late in this first season but come right the next season.

I hope this helps

Regards Tim
Tasmania Australia. The best bulb growing climate in the world

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2008, 04:27:31 PM »
Hi, Tim! Haven't heard from you for a while... hope you are well?
 Very helpful advice, there, thank you.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Calvin Becker

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2008, 05:26:09 PM »
Hi all

Thanks for the all the great advice regarding your switching techniques! Now all I need is to save up and buy some things to try, a slow process at the moment on a student's budget and the dodgy South Afrian exchange rate. :)

My original intention was techniques for both bulbs and corms, sorry about the bit confusion it caused.

Thanks again for the help.

Calvin
Plant pathologist (in training)
Johannesburg/Pietermaritzburg, South Africa

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal