We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: "World of Irises" AIS Blog  (Read 2996 times)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
"World of Irises" AIS Blog
« on: April 19, 2016, 12:37:57 AM »
This morning (my time) Tom Waters wrote an article in the AIS website Blog "World of Irises" about that littlest bearded Iris species, Iris pumila. It is a useful article in that along with habitat, it describes the characteristics of this delightful species and how it differs from the taller but still dwarf Standard Dwarf Bearded irises and even most of the Miniature dwarfs. Tom says I. pumila in the wild may be purple, blue, yellow or white and that it usually has a darker spot or veined area on the falls.

I have one for which I have no correct name. It is a bright gold with white and mustard colouring on it and in full bloom is a mere 6cms in height, the only form I know which is small enough for a (large) trough and therefore dear to my heart. I had it maybe 40-50 years ago but eventually lost it when it became overgrown by larger plants (and weeds) but was able to replace it some years ago at an NZAGS spring show, where it bore the name "Byllee Hannan" (Byllee was the long time Secretary of Canterbury AGS, renamed as NZAGS after Byllee died.) But this was not the "true" name of the little iris, just an identifier of the source and since that time it has been offered by the equally incorrect "Wee Yellow." At one time I thought it may be 'Tiny Treasure,' but I recall that as being yellow with a bright red spot on each fall. Then I wondered about 'April Accent' and the image below uses that name but I'm still not sure about it.

So Tom, if you're out there (here) with your wide experience of American irises perhaps you can give me a correct name for this delightful little gem. It is perky as can be and my favourite among all the brightly coloured dwarf bearded irises. I hope you can help me.
Edit - Please note the attached name 'April Accent' is almost certainly not correct. Ignore it.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 05:00:26 AM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

arilnut

Re: "World of Irises" AIS Blog
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2016, 04:04:06 AM »
Hi Lesley. Here is April Accent.

John B
John  B.
Hopelessly hooked on Aril Iris

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2016, 04:55:23 AM »
Thank you for this picture John. I don't think mine can be 'April Accent' then. I'll change the file name. Now I'm wondering if mine is maybe simply a wild collected form of Iris pumila and not a hybrid at all?
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

johnstephen29

• Hello from East Lincolnshire
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2016, 05:47:21 PM »
You've still got a great little plant which looks like its clumping nicely whatever it's name is Lesley.
John, Toynton St Peter Lincolnshire

Regelian

• waking escapes the dream
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2016, 12:18:26 PM »
Lesley,
it reminds me of 'Bright 'Spring', which has pale stands, almost or fading to white, with that curious lime-yellow in the falls and white beards.  Sorry, I don't have a picture.

j.
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2016, 05:49:04 AM »
Thanks for that name Jamie but I'm not sure. It would have been bought from one of a number of bearded iris nurseries here (now long ceased to trade) many years ago either by me or by my mother and I have to say the name 'Bright Spring' rings no bells in my sometimes faulty memory. But I'll keep it in mind and maybe someday something will "click" with me. As John says above, it's a great little iris.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 05:51:55 AM by Lesley Cox »

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2016, 04:44:33 PM »
Just a note to remind you about Tom Waters' continuing blog entries ...
http://theamericanirissociety.blogspot.co.uk/2016/11/arilbred-irises-little-history.html
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal