We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Scottish Rhododendron Society show at Garelochhead 30 April 2016  (Read 2391 times)

TC

• Roving Reporter
We decided that we would visit the show and take in Geilston garden on the way.  The last one we had visited was in Oban at least 10 years ago.
I am not a great fan of flowers cut from the plants but I realise it's rather impracticable to uproot a sino-grande to bring to a show.
It was as much a social occasion as a show and it was interesting to talk to some of the growers with largish west coast gardens about seasonal flowering.  All agreed that this is a very late season - in some cases up to 3 weeks behind what would have been expected.  It has been a very mild but wet winter with a sudden drop in temperature which has checked the plants just as they were coming on.

The photography and naming of the flowers was difficult to record so I apologise for the quality but it gives an idea of the event.

After talking to Sue Thornley, we decided to wait another week for Glenarn when hopefully, the RH. Lindleyi and the Cinnabarinums will be flowering.

Geilston gardens was suffering from late flowering - at least two weeks behind normal.
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

TC

• Roving Reporter
Re: Scottish Rhododendron Society show at Garelochhead 30 April 2016
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2016, 10:56:24 AM »
some more
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

TC

• Roving Reporter
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2016, 11:05:35 AM »
A few from Geilston and one from SRC show
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2016, 11:30:10 AM »
Very interesting photos Tom; thank you. 
Do you know what 3669 (pink-orange), 3653 (white, just right of centre & toward back) & 3642 (blueish-pink) are?
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

TC

• Roving Reporter
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2016, 12:12:57 PM »
3669 is a vireya...nothing else on the card.  I got quite excited when I thought it was an out door variety.

3653.  My wife thinks that it is a Lindleyi as she remembers it because of the perfume.

3642 Sorry, i don't know but it was receiving a lot of attention.

It may be the SRC will do a report on their website.
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2016, 01:45:46 PM »
Many thanks Tom. 
Likewise I thought vireya, and wondered what look-alike was hardy in this part of the world.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2016, 03:58:18 PM »
Tom, I was speaking with Barry Starling yesterday and he said he was at least three weeks later than last year.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2016, 05:33:19 PM »
Tom, I was speaking with Barry Starling yesterday and he said he was at least three weeks later than last year.

David - I was shocked when he told me his Rhododendron forrestii Repens was not in flower yet, that was 8 April.  Astounding! Repens started to flower last week here in Halifax despite the hideous weather of the past two weeks, flurries, chill, dampness and wind.  Thursday we went to the Annapolis Valley and as we went over the ridge that separates the coast from the Valley we hit extreme snow squalls and even driving ice pellets.  I'm sure the advanced magnolias in the Valley got zapped that night with frost, here on the coast they're ok as they are less advanced and the night cold was just at 0-1c for a brief moment. Sometime best to be later.

Is Barry cooler than you are?  Seems to be quite high up there in Drewsteignton.

john
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 05:40:49 PM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2016, 05:38:06 PM »
3669 is a vireya...nothing else on the card.  I got quite excited when I thought it was an out door variety.

Tom & Ashley

re: photo 3669

Squint and it could be good old 'Medusa'.  Sorry I can't recall who sent me this photo of 'Medusa'.  R. yak x 'Medusa' is very similar but I have never managed a photo of mine.

john
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2016, 07:30:44 PM »
Might #3669 - in Tom#s first post of this thread, be the vireya  'Belisar'?

I pinched this photo from Twitter - it's by Ben Probert, of an exhibit at the recent RHS Rosemoor Rhododendron show
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 07:55:32 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2016, 08:02:56 PM »
..............Is Barry cooler than you are?  Seems to be quite high up there in Drewsteignton.

Yes John, Barry is around 210m above sea level and I'm around 90m.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2016, 08:45:44 PM »
Might #3669 - in Tom#s first post of this thread, be the vireya  'Belisar'?
Not sure Maggi, but it's a beauty. 
Having too many plant obsessions already I'm trying hard to resist vireyas.  Very possibly a losing battle.

In the meantime Medusa is one to look out for.  Thanks John ;)

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal