We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Turkey April 2004  (Read 5598 times)

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
Re: Turkey April 2004
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2008, 11:04:26 PM »
Lucky begger!
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2008, 03:54:06 AM »
Oh those olives. If we'd known Ian liked olives Maggi...... :)

Great pics Arthur and yes, we certainly do like birds. Does anyone know the name of that delicious little Viola?
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2008, 11:48:18 AM »
Arthur  and I have visited many of the same places in Turkey and seen many of the same plants.  Some pics of my May 2004 trip. This was quite eventful as I wrote the car of 10 minutes after leaving the hotel on the first morning,the picture does not do the damage justice. The other driver(his fault naturally) got out and shouted at me,the only word I understood was idiot.The police came and  wanted to know if I knew any Manchester United footballers.Regretably Mrs W who is a fan was not with me and so I got fined.Avis were great and replaced the car in an hour. The man who crashed into me was very helpful and used my mobile to tell them where I was because I had no ideaThe trip moved on for two weeks with not a flower to be seen until the last day on Ulu Dag when there were a few left.You can book the holiday but not the season and it had been scorching for a month so I was forced to do a bit of culture.
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

art600

• Travels light, travels far
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2008, 01:16:29 PM »
Tony
From the site of the damage it is difficult to see how it could be your fault.

On our trips we have managed to make a wheel square - had it repaired in under half an hour for less than a pound, and given tea whilst they repaired it.  This was on day two of the holiday.

On another occasion we damaged the fuel tank by driving where no hire car should go.  When we noticed it we were in Artvin and were directed to a workshop for repair.  They could not have been more helpful.  Imagine trying to get a garage in the UK to accept a job at no notice, or even a week's notice.

You were definitely unlucky.  On all our trips we have found the Turkish people very friendly and hospitable - part of what makes the holiday so enjoyable, even when you cannot speak the language.
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

art600

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2008, 01:19:17 PM »
Tony

P.S.  forgot to say that your photos brought back memories of a wonderful trip.  Ulu Dag was amazing and should be on all crocophiles list of places to visit.
Arthur Nicholls

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2008, 01:58:35 PM »
Arthur  had the same tyre experience ,it is amazing what a man with a very large hammer can do. Here we would throw it away but over there it is just repaired. Also had the exhaust replaced in a shed,not with the correct make of course but cobbled together and it worked. You are so right about the hospitality,even when my friend and I were taken away at gunpoint by some terrorists they gave us tea.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2008, 03:57:13 PM »
even when my friend and I were taken away at gunpoint by some terrorists they gave us tea.
Oh, well, that's alright then   :P :o ::)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2008, 05:04:52 PM »
here are a few things to see when you lift your eyes from the ground.

The heads on Nemrut Dag have been shaken of their bodies by earthquakes.

The church is an early christian one in Cappadoica.They are covered in paintings from c11 century but lots are used to keep animals in. There is not much sense of history.

The market is in Kas on the SW coast and the tortoise is one like are seen everywhere,a hazard to traffic.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 07:33:19 PM by Tony Willis »

art600

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2008, 06:37:58 PM »
Tony

Have not been to the Nemrut Dag with heads, rather the Nemrut Dag with plants.  This is just above Tatvan.

Will try to scan my slides - did not have a digital camera then - as the plants were magnificent. 
Arthur Nicholls

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal