We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Bearded iris 2016  (Read 17190 times)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Bearded iris 2016
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2016, 11:14:14 PM »
What super, rich colour this has. A real gem for someone currently suffering from Iris bloom deprivation. :'(
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2016, 02:19:10 PM »
It's great that here we can switch hemispheres, especially for genera with short flowering seasons.
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2016, 10:11:45 PM »
You're right Ashley, the Forum is a great extender of seasons for everyone everywhere because someone in another part of the world has in bloom something we haven't seen for months. I have recently joined the huddled masses of Facebook adherents and this morning there's a stunning picture from our Onco friend Han Achilles, of the south eastern American (but photographed in Spain), Iris nelsonii. In recent days there have been wonderful pictures of Mongolian irises and so many more. Also today, the tiny miniature dwarf bearded form called 'Ablaze' which I haven't seen for at least 40 years but remember my mother grew it back, way back, in the day. :) A real delight that one.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 10:16:43 PM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2016, 10:19:23 PM »
I've just been admiring a lovely photo from the talented Fred Depalle of Iris  cycloglossa- but the problem is, in Facebook it become either  utterly unfindable, or  searchable by a tiny number of people - pictures here can be found and enjoyed by ANYONE, anytime.  there is some interesting stuff on Facebook - but sadly it's of little use in adding to the sum of knowledge.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2016, 10:53:50 PM »
You too are right Maggi. Even when I find something lovely and go back later or next day, it has vanished into the ether. I have taken to saving special iris pictures in a file but I'm not sure if I should do that, except that if not, I suppose they wouldn't be savable. I don't plan to use them except just to check, sometimes, that what I've grown from seed or bought somewhere is the right thing (or show my equally addicted iris friend).

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2016, 11:05:19 PM »
It annoys me too, that so many photos are posted with no sign of their names. Some are findable but many are quite absent.

Philip Walker

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2016, 11:07:55 AM »
I reichenbachii

ThomasHe

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2016, 02:17:05 PM »
maybe not the wright place to post a pictures of one of my Iris ?
Please remove if it's wrong, Thomas
Oh, it's called Iris "Gingerbred Man".
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 02:22:05 PM by ThomasHe »

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2016, 10:35:16 AM »
It's in the right place!
Ralph Carpenter near Ashford, Kent, UK. USDA Zone 8 (9 in a good year)

ThomasHe

« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2016, 07:57:08 PM »
Dwarf Iris "Larrikin" with a Flower

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2016, 11:22:55 PM »
'Larrikin' is a pretty one Thomas. I like the blue and purple combination.

ThomasHe

« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2016, 07:01:33 PM »
Yes Lesley, i love this colours as well. Here is an other one. It's called Orangekern

Darren

« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2016, 08:32:18 AM »
This is a screenshot from last night's Chelsea footage on BBC2. We were rather taken with the Iris in the foreground, which was only briefly glimpsed. May be a new variety but can anyone hazard a guess?

Darren Sleep. Nr Lancaster UK.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2016, 11:55:57 PM »
It's hard to tell Darren from the picture here but if it is a dwarf bearded iris as seems likely, we have one here, an American form I think and not recent, called 'Blue Moss.' It's quite like that, with blue or violet blue standards and similar falls but washed with a sort of grey/green mossy-coloured overlay. It's very nice, one of my favourites. They're not in flower now here of course but from memory it does have a sort of yellowish mustard beard too, a bit bumble-bee-like. But if it's at Chelsea, yours is probably a new variety.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 11:58:30 PM by Lesley Cox »

Darren

« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2016, 08:16:09 AM »
Thank you Lesley  :)

Apparently today's footage will concentrate on the displays in the floral marquee so we might get a better look.

Good job too - I was starting to worry about it being the Chelsea Garden Design Show rather than flower show.
Darren Sleep. Nr Lancaster UK.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal