We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Iris polakii - confused with I. barnumae- notes from Brian Mathew  (Read 11276 times)

Janis Ruksans

• Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
Re: Iris polakii - confused with I. barnumae- notes from Brian Mathew
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2012, 08:53:06 AM »
Rafa

I can easily understand the confusion.

Janis thinks that 'Moleskin' is not a hybrid and is a species in its own right - what we have seen in the wild are colour forms of Moleskin. just like the many colour forms of Iris meda.

I await futher information from the botanists.
I think the same. So named "moleskin" is new species, different from meda and, although very variable, really not so variable as meda.
Janis
Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
http://rarebulbs.lv

YT

• Twitter
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2012, 07:35:16 AM »
As Diane mentioned, seeds of "JJA584.750 : IRIS BARNUMAE f. PROTONYMA" look Iris polakii. I bought the seeds from JJA and sowed Nov. 2008. Now a seedling is blooming its first time here 8)

Seed of this plant was distributed by Jim & Jenny Archibald and it appeared in their seed list as
JJA584.750 : IRIS BARNUMAE f. PROTONYMA (Sect. Oncocyclus)  Iran, West Azerbayejan, N of Khoi, Khamsian pass. 1585m. Residual steppe between cultivated areas.  (Possibly the first time material of this sumptuous, dwarf steppe-plant has been available since the 1960's. Beautifully proportioned flowers in pure, penetrating, rich red-violet. The standards are slightly paler than the falls with their glossy, black-violet signal-patches below distinctive beards of dense, short, black hairs, like patches of moleskin. The black-bearded race is endemic to NW Iran and this colony has the finest forms we have seen.)
I was lucky enough to buy a small plant from Jenny Archibald after Jim's death and on the back of the label Jim has written "= I polakii"
Tatsuo Y
By the Pacific coast, central part of main island, Japan

Hans A.

• bulb growing paradise
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2012, 01:36:26 PM »
Perfect grown plant!
Congratulation Yamanaka!
Hans - Balearic Islands/Spain
10a  -  140nn

arillady

« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2012, 12:55:23 AM »
Yes - Congratulations Yamanaka!
Beautiful plant
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

YT

• Twitter
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2012, 08:41:15 AM »
Hans and Pat, thank you :) My place fits for growing aril irises in pots. The only thing is we have a rainy season from end of spring to early summer here. I have to move the iris pots to dry corner during its dormant period.
Tatsuo Y
By the Pacific coast, central part of main island, Japan

Eveline

« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2016, 07:09:23 PM »
Please, do you agree, that this is Iris polakii?

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal