We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Rhodos, Feeling the chill...  (Read 7053 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Rhodos, Feeling the chill...
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2008, 07:12:02 PM »
Arthur, it's Iris histrioides and histriodes 'Major' ... can't recall which is which, though... only slight differences  :-\
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 11:20:17 AM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
Re: Feeling the chill...
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2008, 07:15:45 PM »
Your Rhodo's look very promising Maggi - don't forget to show them when they're at their best !  ;)
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

art600

• Travels light, travels far
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2008, 07:18:44 PM »
Maggi

It might have been the light, but they looked a better blue than I have seen previously.
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2008, 07:28:30 PM »
It might have been the light, but they looked a better blue than I have seen previously.   

That is just the effect of the wonderful eastern scottish light, Arthur  8) It's why we have so many good artists up here, the light is great..... just not an awful lot of it if you're growing in a glasshouse!!

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2008, 11:05:17 PM »
These are the young bullate leaved rhodo, R. yakushimanum x tsariense and R. elegantulum as they appear today... these are the ones that Luit thought looked in a really bad way!
Wonderful how they can react and adapt to the changes, isn't it?

Thank you Maggi!
seems you had a busy day.
I'm glad I was wrong in thinking your Rhodo's were dying off in February.
(I'm just a Newbie  ??? ??? ::) )
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2008, 11:22:43 PM »
There is a good deal of resurrection going on, thank goodness. It is amazing how they respond to stress.... they can droop and curl when too dry in the summer too, though somehow it is not quite the same... I think there are subtle differences between their look depending on the cause of the stress.... they are very sensitive souls these rhododendrons 8)

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2008, 12:29:46 PM »
No resurrection needed here in the south of Ireland because 'winter' has been unusually mild again this year.  Rhodos in the garden look very different to Maggi's austere beauties.

This I assume to be arboreum or a hybrid thereof (pictures 1-4).  Plants are 4-5 m high and wide, about 60 years old and spread gently by self-layering.  Leaves on old, less-vigorous branches tend to carry a fine coating of algae.

Could this one be 'Christmas Cheer' or something like it (pictures 5 & 6)?  It flowers sporadically from about November onwards but usually peaks in early March.  These plants are also about 60 years old, 2-2.5 m high and 4-5m wide.

I'd appreciate confirmation or correction of ids by the experts  :-\
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2008, 09:51:17 PM »
Ashley, what a treat to see these big beauties in flower when mine are still so cold!

I don't think your second one is 'Christmas Cheer'... looks too good, for that, frankly! Just not sure what it IS.... now we have John Weagle around, he will be able to remember more names than I can muster, I'm sure.

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2008, 09:37:29 AM »
Thanks Maggi.  Although these were both widely planted at the time I'm not sure what they are.
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
  • Always room for another plant
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2008, 10:26:11 AM »
Had missed this thread (not enough Rhodo in the title). Great to see your collection Maggi are you the Rhodo nut or is it Ian. You have more than me and some nice plants  :o. Can't wait to see them in flower and in many cases in new growth. We didn't go much below -9 last week and there wasn't that much affect on mine but it always worries me when they start to protect themselves in this way. Some years ago we had a late cold snap which coincided with the sap rising. This caused bark split and I lost some nice plants though some re grew from soil level they were never the same again. Our climate can be tricky can't it?  ???
Ian McEnery Sutton Coldfield  West Midlands 600ft above sea level

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2008, 11:19:29 AM »
I'm the one obsessed by rhodos (and other ericaeous) ... at one point we had several hundred.... no mean feat in a town garden... though many have moved on now as I found new homes for them in new gardens....just as well or we wouldn't be able to get outside. Ian is fond of them but I suspect it is mostly because they make nice protection and companions to his bulbs... that being said, he has grown those we have raised from seed, which is why so many are un-named !

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal