We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus March 2016  (Read 35099 times)

Irm

• Berlin
Re: Galanthus March 2016
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2016, 02:38:10 PM »
Wish you fall in love with RÜSCH'L JÖ.

What a name  ;D  ;D

Irm

• Berlin
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2016, 02:40:58 PM »
Cowhouse Green

Roma

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2016, 02:55:58 PM »
Nothing rare or unusual here
Two clumps of Galanthus 'Fred's Giant'
Three different Galanthus nivalis or hybrids
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

Roma

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2016, 03:01:32 PM »
Galanthus elwesii ( a gift from Fred Sutherland in 1992)
Galanthus 'Magnet'
Galanthus 'Dionysus'
Galanthus 'Sybil Roberta'
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2016, 03:50:53 PM »
Ian Christie‎ writes :

"My latest find this is -  a hybrid G. nivalis x G. plicatus the main flower is single and the lower flower on the same stem is double Matt Bishop has seen this."

Matt Bishop comments :  "Possibly the strangest snowdrop ever!!"

There seem to be one or two like this, Avon sold one last year called 'Phantom', their description:
A large rounded giant hybrid poculiform which almost always shows two scapes, the second of which resembles G.plicatus ssp. byzantinus, so two different flowers from the same bulb!
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2016, 05:09:23 PM »
Thought you might be busy, Ian!  Snowing here too - yuck !
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2016, 05:31:10 PM »
There seem to be one or two like this, Avon sold one last year called 'Phantom', ...
But this one is extraordinary because the two different flower forms are on the same scape!  I have one in development which produces a good flower on top and a more aberrant one below on the same scape but that's not really a virtue.  And you have 'Saraband' with two perfect (?) flowers on the same scape.  But a double and a single together on the same scape is really something.
Almost in Scotland.

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2016, 06:15:45 PM »
I didn't say it wasn't extraordinary, I was merely pointing out that there is another where one bulb produces two different shaped flowers albeit on different scapes.
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2016, 08:24:16 PM »
We visited two gardens over the weekend.  The first was Carole Smith's garden near Peterborough.

I too visited Carole Smith's garden last Sunday.  I understand that Carole is considering moving house so this may have been the last time her garden was open.  In order to persuade my wife to come along we then went on to somewhere she wanted to visit, the Welney Wetland Centre.  There we were fortunate to see this fellow:
521128-0

My wife felt very sorry for him, so far from his home and native land (he has been ringed in Poland).  But it turns out that he had not come so far, just from a 'rest home' near Diss where he had been recuperating.  This was the Shorelands Wildlife Centre;
 521130-1

And who is that photographed with an injured stork there?  Only Ben Potterton who doubles as proprietor of Blacksmiths Cottage Nursery (next door) and well-known amongst galanthophiles.  Small world!

I took the second image from the news article here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-32504476
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 08:29:51 PM by Alan_b »
Almost in Scotland.

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2016, 09:33:45 PM »
From this morning, just before the gale struck:

Hill Poe
Tubby Merlin - a superb snowdrop and increases nicely
Benton Magnet  - another superb snowdrop and increases nicely
nivalis SG (Lowick f.) - the Lowick in this particular spot remains stubbornly solo

john
John in coastal Nova Scotia

kentish_lass

• Nothing succeeds like excess
    • Jennie's Daylilies
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2016, 02:58:31 AM »
We visited two gardens over the weekend.  The first was Carole Smith's garden near Peterborough.

Thanks David - I thoroughly enjoyed the photos you posted of both gardens - just fabulous.  Real plant collectors gardens.  It amazes me seeing all the large clumps everywhere - obviously no swift moth there!  That Erythronium is just beautiful - is it for sale anywhere do you know?
Jennie in Kent, England

To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow.......

my blog:  http://pick-a-lily.squarespace.com/

My pics: https://picasaweb.google.com/jenniesivyer

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2016, 07:52:01 AM »
... obviously no swift moth there! 
It may not be obvious from David's pictures but look up and you would see that Carole's garden is mostly shaded by large trees (that would cause many a lesser gardener to despair and give up).  A swift moth lays it's eggs on the wing in the summer and presumably instinctively seeks-out sites where the larvae will have good chance of finding something to eat.  So it may look for somewhere that is more open with more summer vegetation.  Alan Shipp, who grows his National Collection of Hyacinths on good fenland soil north of Cambridge http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/pictures/Cambridge-garden-home-world-s-largest-collection/pictures-26290272-detail/pictures.html in what is basically a field, has told me that swift moth larvae are a problem for him.  He would be about 35 miles from Carole and fenland extends much closer.  So if Carole does not suffer swift moth problems it seems to me that that is more likely down to the nature of her garden rather than their absence from the area.     
Almost in Scotland.

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2016, 07:52:58 AM »
What a name  ;D  ;D

What does it mean?

Irm, nice 'Cowhouse Green' :)
and Roma, how lovely big clumps of snowdrops!

John, you don't have any snow anymore! I'm hoping to see the first snowdrops peaking next week, if the snow starts to melt, it is supposed to get above zero degrees soon. :)
Leena from south of Finland

Blonde Ingrid

• Journal Access Group
  • General gardener & Galanthophile
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2016, 08:50:37 AM »
The first shots of a new drop that Andy Byfield asked me to garden trial, provisionally called 'Goatee Green Tip'.

Andy describes it as: '"The variety is a hybrid, probably of byzatinus x nivalis, and came from the colony where the likes of Fanny & Northern Lights came from". I can speak to the excellent heritage in regard to Northern lights!

It has a wonderful dark green inner marking which resembles a lobster tail with the slight indentations. The outer markings are delightfully green and distinct, a lighter green than Greenfinch and more finely drawn.

It appears to be a very good do'er which is always a key factor for me. It has to pass the 'Byfield aesthetically acceptable test' but I would certainly add this to my collection if encountered as an offering.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2016, 10:35:19 AM »
N. B. - when the  middle picture in Ingrid's post, above, is enlarged, the image is correctly aligned!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal