We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Narcissus asturiensis from seed  (Read 2366 times)

Pennine Wanderer

Narcissus asturiensis from seed
« on: February 29, 2016, 11:28:56 AM »
On 15/01/2014 I sowed Narcissus Asturiensis seed obtained from the SRGC seed ex. To my surprise and delight one of the seeds has this year produced a flower.  All the literature I have read states that it is normal for Narcissus seeds to reach flowering age in three to five years. Is my plant unusual or does this sometimes occur?

Robin Hill

Re: Narcissus asturiensis from seed
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2016, 06:12:34 AM »
A number of the smaller narcissus will flower much earlier than their older counterparts.
Some of the bulbocodium species will flower 18 months after the seed is sown in good growing conditions. In saying that,you have done very well to get a flower so early.

Pennine Wanderer

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2016, 10:54:46 AM »
Hi Robin,
This is the first Narcissus I have grown from seed so it is a learning curve.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2016, 11:43:56 AM »
I agree with Robin - you have done well to get such a flower after such a short time. Such fun to grow these little gems from seed,  I think.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Pennine Wanderer

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2016, 12:16:49 PM »
Thanks Maggi.  I see there is another seed coming through in the same pot so it will be interesting to see if it also flowers this spring.

Jack Meatcher

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2016, 05:20:24 PM »
I, too, sowed some N. asturiensis seed in June 2014. It was very fresh and given to me by Jennie Archibold. It germinated and emerged that year and flowered this. I think that fresh seed sown in June is part of the secret of success. I've taken to keeping my exchange seed in the fridge until May/June so that I can sow it when it might do the same in the wild.
I keep tulip and fritillaria seed similarly until September.

I haven't got the timing for Autumn flowering narcissus sorted yet but I think shortly after Christmas may be a good starting point.

Jack
The Learner

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal