We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Violas 2016  (Read 6611 times)

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
Re: Violas 2016
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2016, 08:34:28 AM »
Here are
Viola adriatica - from Croatia and Viola rubella  from Chile

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2016, 11:36:00 AM »
Viola rubella !  Ohh, I'm in love - never seen this in real life- how charming it is.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2016, 08:47:44 PM »
They're easy from seed! No flower yet - the plants are 1/2 year old.
Thanks Gerd ;)

Viola rubella seedlings.
526948-0
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Gerdk

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2016, 09:00:31 AM »
Thank you Maggi!
Hoy,  you are an excellent grower!

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Karaba

• My 2015-2016 seed list (in french)
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2016, 09:24:03 AM »
A real miniature : Viola rupestris, this one from Pyrénées.

Yvain Dubois - Isère, France (Zone 7b)  _ south east Lyon

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2016, 05:36:03 PM »
A real miniature : Viola rupestris, this one from Pyrénées.

Very cute Yvain, and it seems to grow in full sun? I will make a note for it ;)
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

ian mcdonald

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2016, 10:09:08 PM »
An uncommon plant in the UK is V. stagnina (at present and likely to change again) Fen Violet. Note the leaf shape. img. 038a.

Roma

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2016, 10:08:36 PM »
I was intrigued with this Viola shown by Jean Wyllie at Perth show on Saturday.  It was labelled Viola aff. hancockii.  To my eye it looks very close to Viola jooi.  My plant was bought from Kevock in 2006.  It has not grown much but is still alive and flowering very well this year.  I thought perhaps they were closely related species but Google tells me one comes from China and the other from Transylvania so unlikely. 
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2016, 03:43:31 AM »

A batch of Viola purpurea seedlings.

The seed was sown during the autumn of 2015. Germination during the spring of 2016 was excellent. And now they are blooming. This is quite the surprise for me, but a pleasant one. The seedlings are packed together very tightly, so the plants are not growing true to their nature at all. If all goes well, I will separate the seedling early next spring when they first emerge from dormancy. With more room to grow, hopefully they will grow true to form. Any ol' way I am delighted with this batch of Viola purpurea seedlings.
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Ed Alverson

« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2016, 05:51:57 AM »
Robert, how do you store the seed of your native violets between when they are collected in the spring and when they are sown in the fall? The reason I ask is the challenge, at least in our area, of keeping them out of the hands (feet?) of ants...

Ed
Ed Alverson, Eugene, Oregon

Gerdk

« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2016, 08:24:14 AM »
Robert,
What a success!  It isn't unusual that some violets build cleistogamic (closed) flowers  quickly - but, open flowers
in that time - just sensational!

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Robert

« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2016, 07:45:19 PM »
Robert, how do you store the seed of your native violets between when they are collected in the spring and when they are sown in the fall? The reason I ask is the challenge, at least in our area, of keeping them out of the hands (feet?) of ants...

Ed

Ed,

My main challenge with our wild native viola species is the dehiscent nature of the seed pods. Last year I was able to gather "ripe" seed from Viola purpurea. I also gathered seed that was not completely ripe from V. douglasii (i.e. the seed was still white).

My usual method of dealing with Viola seed pods is to place them in aluminum pie tins with some sort of covering. Without the covering the dehiscent nature of the seed pods will send the seed all over the place, thus the covering. I leave the seed out just long enough to become fully mature, then they are packaged and stored cool and dry in our refrigerator until sowing (seed in paper coin envelopes - envelopes in sealed plastic bags with as much air removed as possible).

Gathering ripe Viola seed in the wild is a challenge and seems to be all about good timing i.e. being in the right place at the right time. So far I have never had any problems with ants. For Viola seed from the garden, I always bag the seed with a tobacco bag or specially designed bags for seed saving - controlled pollination. This has worked very well for me.

As for the semi-ripe Viola douglasii seed.... I had excellent germination this spring! This knowledge gives me a little more flexibility when gathering wild Viola seed.

I hope that I have answered your question well.
Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2016, 07:56:27 PM »
Robert,
What a success!  It isn't unusual that some violets build cleistogamic (closed) flowers  quickly - but, open flowers
in that time - just sensational!

Gerd

Gerd,

I have observed the same phenomena concerning the nature of cleistogamic flowers and seed set on young Viola plants.

My experience with Viola purpurea this year caught me completely by surprise. Generally, I feel fortunate to get something more than the cotyledon leaves the first year from seed, especially from our xeric California Viola species. Our native wetland types stay in active growth much longer and thus the seedlings tend to develop much more during their first season. This is my experience here in California.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

ian mcdonald

« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2016, 08:42:08 PM »
Robert, V. purpurea is a good looking plant but why is it called purpurea?

Robert

« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2016, 08:54:35 PM »
Robert, V. purpurea is a good looking plant but why is it called purpurea?

Ian,

The abaxially both the leaves and corolla can be purple-tinted.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal