We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: The Norfolk Plant Heritage Snowdrop Gala  (Read 4687 times)

Josh Nelson

Re: The Norfolk Plant Heritage Snowdrop Gala
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2016, 11:03:44 AM »
No nothing to do with me, apart from input on naming, the photograph was passed on by a friend who is going to bulk it up - you (and I) might have to wait for several years before seeing it in the flesh.
Thanks Brian - remember seeing it in thread from a while back (partial memory recall's not bad I guess!).  Always happy to wait for a nice virescent, especially plicatus

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2016, 11:35:31 AM »
I agree with Chas that it makes excellent sense to co-ordinate snowdrop events where possible so having the two Norfolk events on the same weekend was ideal in that respect.  But, as Brian mentioned, unfortunately there was a clash with a Suffolk event (a snowdrop talk and sale) which was a pity.  I strongly suspect that there was one person that did manage to attend both of the two clashing events, albeit with a rather brief appearance in Norfolk.

The Norfolk sales tables offered very good value for money, something I should have highlighted in my previous comments.  And Avon Bulbs was there with a good selection at their regular prices.  I had no idea that sales were influenced by position in the room, Brian.  Unfortunately the far corner from the entrance was actually a little alcove and with people keen to see what Ann Borrill and Brian had for sale, I wad to wait for a lull in the crowd to get close to the MacLennan's display at the back.  But plans had to be changed at the last minute to accommodate the loss of Joe Sharman and overall this major upset was handled tremendously well.

As it happens, I had heard Andy Byfield talk on similar subject matter before and I heard Richard Hobbs speak last year.  But both these speakers are very good and had altered the content of their talks.  So I did not at any time feel that anything might have heard before did not bear repetition.             
Almost in Scotland.

Blonde Ingrid

• Journal Access Group
  • General gardener & Galanthophile
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2016, 11:51:37 AM »

The committee were very pleased with how the event went and thanks all those who attended for their support and help in making it such a friendly day.

The Committee should be very pleased, it was an excellent day and we both expressed as much to Cathy.

It was great to meet and swap current status with friends from all over the country, plenty of interesting and useful insight! The presentations were interesting and the catering was first class. It was good to meet Avon's new guy, 'Micky' and collect my order.

All in all, a delightful experience and wonderful photos David  ;D

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2016, 11:59:34 AM »
Everything I have heard from those attending suggests it was great fun and went well - I am so pleased that David has taken the trouble to allow those of us unable to attend such an event to enjoy at least some of the day, by his photos.

If I might add a  comment on  the timing of such events  - it is MUCH  more difficult that any "civilian" might imagine to  coordinate  the timing of such a day - as well as the myriad difficulties in knowing just which of the multitudinous organisations across the country might  be planing something similar, there are the restrictions  locally on availability of a venue,  volunteers to help,etc .   If only the organisation of such events WERE  as simple as Jack phoning Mary to agree a date between them! Just not the case!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2016, 12:02:35 PM »
Ah, that comment sounds like it came from the heart, Maggi.
Almost in Scotland.

David King

• The Norfolk Eye
    • David King
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2016, 12:19:46 PM »
unfortunately there was a clash with a Suffolk event (a snowdrop talk and sale) which was a pity.           

There was nothing unfortunate about the date as Maggi indicates.  As I have said before on this forum this was a Norfolk Plant Heritage event primarily for Plant Heritage members.  The fact there may have been sales or events elsewhere is irrelevant as most or our members would not attend snowdrop events let alone out of the county.  People had a choice where they went indeed we were surprised to see some attend particularly as they seemed to favour attendance at the Suffolk sale some 47.4 miles away.  While it was hoped to open the event to non-members it was touch and go as demand from members far exceeded expectations.  Clearly people voted with their feet!  Good on them!
Brooke, Norwich, Norfolk.

Web site:  http://www.zen62218.zen.co.uk

David King

• The Norfolk Eye
    • David King
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2016, 12:48:53 PM »
Unfortunately the far corner from the entrance was actually a little alcove and with people keen to see what Ann Borrill and Brian had for sale, I wad to wait for a lull in the crowd to get close to the MacLennan's display at the back.         

I think you are rather overstating that Alan.  The alcove, as you call it, just to right of the screen, is just under 20 feet wide and in my estimation had plenty of room for movement.  While you may have had to wait it clearly wasn’t for long as the two picture below show.  Taken at 11.11am and 11.12am, i.e. some 11 and 12 minutes after the event opened, they show people looking at Ann Borrills table, the National Collection display, with just three people looking at it at that time, and Brian’s table.  And who is that at Brian’s table in the first photo and in the second looking over the shoulders of the people at Ann’s table?  Not much lack of space methinks!

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2016, 02:07:22 PM »
Thanks to all who organised a great day
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2016, 03:12:37 PM »
David, I'm sure you (and many others) put a lot of work into the Plant Heritage Snowdrop Gala and I, and everybody else who has commented, thought it was very successful. 

The truth of the matter is that, faced with a conflict, I had originally hoped to attend both Roger Harvey's Suffolk sale and your Norfolk Plant Heritage Gala (taking advantage of its later start time).  Then Roger scheduled a talk before the sale which rendered that plan impossible so, for a variety of reasons, I picked the Norfolk Gala.  I was sad not to attend the talk by Valentin Wijnen but, hey, that's life and I enjoyed the Norfolk event.  Sure, I mentioned a few bit and pieces I thought might be improved on next time but these were minor little things in the overall context of a really good day.       
Almost in Scotland.

David King

• The Norfolk Eye
    • David King
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2016, 03:32:34 PM »
Sure, I mentioned a few bit and pieces I thought might be improved on next time but these were minor little things in the overall context of a really good day.     

Sorry to disappoint you but it is unlikely there will be another one.  We move on to a completely different genus.

Blonde Ingrid

• Journal Access Group
  • General gardener & Galanthophile
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2016, 04:22:05 PM »
The only downer on the day was when Cathy told us there would not be the snowdrop gala again next year, I was ready to pencil it into my diary right there and then.

It was a very comfortable atmosphere and lovely that so many people were happy to come up and introduce themselves. I will miss it next year and consider Blacksmiths as an option, depending on structure and offering.

Bernadette

• Amateur collector with a lot of plants...
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2016, 05:22:38 PM »
David, I'm sure you (and many others) put a lot of work into the Plant Heritage Snowdrop Gala and I, and everybody else who has commented, thought it was very successful. 

The truth of the matter is that, faced with a conflict, I had originally hoped to attend both Roger Harvey's Suffolk sale and your Norfolk Plant Heritage Gala (taking advantage of its later start time).  Then Roger scheduled a talk before the sale which rendered that plan impossible so, for a variety of reasons, I picked the Norfolk Gala.  I was sad not to attend the talk by Valentin Wijnen but, hey, that's life and I enjoyed the Norfolk event.  Sure, I mentioned a few bit and pieces I thought might be improved on next time but these were minor little things in the overall context of a really good day.     

I was quite surprised Harvey's announced a speaker, it seemed almost at the last minute, he
doesn't normally have one and I'd seen no earlier advertising of one.

Had he kept his opening time at its normal slot, I and I'm sure others may have gone
there first but putting it back later messed up that idea.

Wasn't his snowdrop event moved forward for the last 3 years, I'm sure before it used to be
after the Blacksmiths weekend.

I thoroughly enjoyed the plant heritage event and thought Blacksmiths was superb,
and thought Rod Leeds was wonderful, plus what lovely and unusual snowdrops
he had for sale, plus of course Joe Sharman and others had a fantastic selection.

I look forward to Blacksmiths Cottage nursery spring plant sale with visiting
nurseries on Saturday 9 th April too.

As a member of plant heritage I think they are a fantastic asset for Norfolk with
great speakers and events throughout the year and I'm grateful for all the hard work
people do behind the scenes.

I thought the event well thought out and also set out and organised in the hall.

Personally I'm pleased the radio didn't attend as it would have been a distraction, but
Richard Hobbs, Ian Roofe and Ben Potterton all garden party panelists were present
over the weekend and are all approachable and delightful personanalities if you wanted
to engage in conversation or ask them anything.

I certainly feel lucky to have such events on my doorstep.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 06:25:36 PM by Bernadette »

Derryclare

« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2016, 08:42:27 AM »
My friend and I thoroughly enjoyed both events and thought that the Plant Heritage free plant was a great idea, a generous gift and one that must have taken a lot of time and effort to sort out.  We were each given a snowdrop that we already had but gave them to the two snowdrop novices sitting next to us at lunch to encourage them to get started.  They went away with well loaded bags so they may become familiar faces only seen in February.  Your comment, David, about moving on to a different genus next year creates visions of an enormous 'free gift stall' or was that a one-off or restricted to small plants?

There was such a friendly atmosphere at both events and being able to stay over was certainly easier than the Shaftesbury/Chedworth dash next week.  Grateful thanks to all concerned.

David King

• The Norfolk Eye
    • David King
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2016, 09:04:43 AM »
Your comment, David, about moving on to a different genus next year creates visions of an enormous 'free gift stall' or was that a one-off or restricted to small plants?

Very pleased to hear you enjoyed the NPH Day and also the rest of the weekend.  Certainly the feed back we have all had was most positive which is very gratifying for the NPH committee and especially Kathy Gray who works so hard to ensure everything is as it should be.  I think the free gift was a one off as they all need sourcing, but who knows, it is never-the-less something the committee may consider doing again in the future.

carolesmith

« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2016, 07:59:12 PM »
Have only just found this - great photos as usual David thank you.  I now see people I missed on the day!
I think I can say Cliff, Joan and myself enjoyed our weekend in Norfolk as per usual. Congratulations to the Plant Heritage team on their superb organisation and reorganisation. I really liked the different approaches to snowdrops by Richard and Andy.
Wansford
North Cambridgeshire

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal