We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Rhododendrons 2016  (Read 51562 times)

TC

• Roving Reporter
Re: Rhododendrons 2016
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2016, 05:39:10 PM »
David
I was in Plymouth twice last month and stayed in Cawsand for a night. We had hoped to look in on Mt.Edgcumbe to see the camellias on the way to the Torpoint ferry, but the weather was vile with a visibility of about 100 yards so we missed out on that.
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2016, 08:24:22 PM »
David
I was in Plymouth twice last month and stayed in Cawsand for a night. We had hoped to look in on Mt.Edgcumbe to see the camellias on the way to the Torpoint ferry, but the weather was vile with a visibility of about 100 yards so we missed out on that.

Just a normal day here Tom! Mount Edgcumbe will be on our RADAR as soon as we get anything that remotely looks a reasonable day.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

birck j c

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2016, 07:03:08 AM »
Hej Thorklid

Any indument on foliage
and how many lobes in the flower

birck
"Bana belt" close to Copenhagen - Denmark

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2016, 03:25:32 AM »
A few Rhododendrons from our Sacramento garden.

Rhododendron johnstoneanum x moupinense

This hybrid is cold hardy in our garden except for the flower buds. I have always protected the flower buds every winter so that they were not winter killed. This winter I did nothing -  the best flowering every, and the winter was somewhat cold. Go figure.  ???

Rhododendron pubescens

Surprisingly drought, heat, and sun tolerant. This plant is also a very compact and tidy grower considering the species.

Rhododendron scabrifolium var. spiceferum

Another view of the same species. Another tough, relatively drought tolerant species. It is very tolerant of heat and the hot California sun too. A very leggy grower - best cut back right after blooming for the best appearance and plenty of flowers for next season.

We also grow R. scabrifolium up at our El Dorado County farm. Its character is the same as above, however the flowers are white with a flush of pink. Both R. pubescens and scabrifolium have bristle-like, hairy foliage that is attractive.
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Thorkild Godsk

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2016, 02:40:38 PM »
Rhododendron.

Hello Birck. Thanks for the answer, I think there are 6-7 lobes, to be sure, I must wait until April when it blooms.

Thorkild
Thorkild.dk

Robert

« Reply #20 on: February 29, 2016, 06:04:00 AM »

Rhododendron mallotum (or something close to it) blooming in the garden up at the farm. I grew this plant from seed - started in 1987 (? maybe earlier). This is the first time this plant has bloomed. This plant seems like it has been through enough over the years!  :'(  Drought, branches broken by snow load, and too much neglect the past few seasons. It is a complete water hog, however now that it is blooming I will try to keep it going - drought or no drought. The flowers and the foliage are very attractive.  :)
Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #21 on: February 29, 2016, 09:12:19 AM »
Lovely set of Rhododendron Robert. I keep a few in pots, plenty of buds but a bit early for flowers yet.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #22 on: February 29, 2016, 12:29:35 PM »
Rhododendron mallotum (or something close to it) blooming in the garden up at the farm. I grew this plant from seed - started in 1987 (? maybe earlier). This is the first time this plant has bloomed... It is a complete water hog, however now that it is blooming I will try to keep it going - drought or no drought...
That's a gorgeous flower - worth the wait! Congrats,
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Robert

« Reply #23 on: February 29, 2016, 01:28:25 PM »
Lovely set of Rhododendron Robert. I keep a few in pots, plenty of buds but a bit early for flowers yet.

Thank you David. As the garden evolves growing some of the smaller Rhododendrons in tubs will be my strategy. This is more work hand watering, but it will save water. Clearly some of the larger Rhododendrons, such as R. mallotum, I intend on keeping in the ground.  :)  The poor plant may be misshaped, but the foliage is beautiful all year.  :)  and where it's placed it has never burned.  :)

I look forward to seeing some of your Rhododendrons in bloom.

Thank you Fermi. Very much worth the wait!
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #24 on: February 29, 2016, 01:45:46 PM »
(Attachment Link)

Rhododendron mallotum (or something close to it) blooming in the garden up at the farm. I grew this plant from seed - started in 1987 (? maybe earlier). This is the first time this plant has bloomed. This plant seems like it has been through enough over the years!  :'(  Drought, branches broken by snow load, and too much neglect the past few seasons. It is a complete water hog, however now that it is blooming I will try to keep it going - drought or no drought. The flowers and the foliage are very attractive.  :)

Beautiful - worth waiting for, Robert. You've beaten my own record of  waiting  nearly thirty years for the first flowers on Rh. auriculatum. I hope that  now your plant has begun to flower it will delight you with lots of flowers each year!   
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Robert

« Reply #25 on: February 29, 2016, 03:08:56 PM »
30 years is a record I do not want to break again, however, yes indeed, it was worth the wait.  :)
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #26 on: February 29, 2016, 08:41:13 PM »
Very beautiful! Good encouragement for growing rhodos from seeds  :)
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #27 on: February 29, 2016, 09:59:40 PM »
Very beautiful! Good encouragement for growing rhodos from seeds  :)

But Robert did get a hybrid rather than the straight species he thought he was getting.  The odds of getting somethung this good is somewhat akin to one's chances at the weekly Lotto.

john
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 02:57:18 AM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2016, 02:01:23 AM »
But Robert did get a hybrid rather than the straight species he thoiught he was getting.  The odds of getting this good is somewhat akin to one's chances at the weekly Lotto.
john

You're right, and considering I'm the kind of person that never wins anything....  :(  :)  In truth I only want to start from seeds R. myrtifolium from the Carpathian Mts. I read somewhere that it may flower in 7-8 years? and it would be the true species 100%.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2016, 03:04:47 AM »
Not to worry, we are all in the same boat with rhodo seeds and lottos.  The late flowering of myrtifolium should rule out any stray pollination from other species. Might have a bit ofr tolerance for higher pH (???).

john
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 01:49:50 PM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal