We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Snowdrop gardens on television  (Read 4424 times)

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
Re: Snowdrop gardens on television
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2016, 08:16:12 PM »
Carolyn - it's a stimulating garden isn't it. Brigitte says she does really well with hepaticas too. Iris 'Katherine Hodgkin' grows quite well with us but I have had similar experience as you have with many of the reticulatas - they do OK for a season or two and then decline. One group of 'Clairette' has grown more successfully in an area liberally top-dressed with pea gravel. By coincidence I have just picked up a plant of Galanthus 'Walker Canada' from Richard Bashford at the Myddelton House Snowdrop Sale! Richard says what a fine plant it is and also prduces good seedlings, so I greatly look forward to growing it.
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2016, 08:51:37 PM »
I have had similar experience as you have with many of the reticulatas - they do OK for a season or two and then decline.

Last year I went to a talk by Toronto-based expert Alan McMurtrie.  My impression is that what you describe is normal for these plants (in cultivation) unless they are dug-up and replanted. 
Almost in Scotland.

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2016, 10:13:21 PM »
Here is another, longer, video which introduces snowdrops rather well (I'm not too sure about the short section a little way in?). It is nicely produced and if you watch towards the end there is a fine plant of Helleborus thibetanus; a good celebration of snowdrops in a plants-persons garden which could easily (with the same care and imagination) be extended to the woodland garden to come:

Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Carolyn Walker

• American Galanthophile
    • Carolyn's Shade Gardens
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2016, 11:18:00 PM »
Another fun video, Tim.  I thought again what an under-appreciated snowdrop 'Viridapice' is, so striking.  I had a good laugh when they called 'Augustus' beautiful (which it is) and then compared the outer segments to a golf ball.  I guess you have to be a golfer to appreciate that.

Maxine, I second your motion to have Alan present a series, the longer the better, on snowdrops.  You know I am one of his biggest fans.
Carolyn in Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania, U.S.
website/blog: http://carolynsshadegardens.com/

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal