We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: 2016 - Robert's adventures in the Northern Sierra Nevada - California  (Read 107869 times)

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
Re: 2016 - Robert's adventures in the Northern Sierra Nevada - California
« Reply #495 on: August 09, 2016, 03:43:57 PM »

When traveling around the Sierra Nevada Foothills it is common to see the California Buckeyes, Aesculus californica, brown and semi-dormant this time of year.

Fremont Cottonwood, Populus fremontii, is a good indicator of subterranean moisture. This species grows both in the Great Central Valley as well as the Sierra Nevada Foothills. Huge trees are commonly seen growing on river banks, however they can also been found near springs or sites where underground water is located near the surface.

The leaves make a pleasant sound when there is a breeze. The sound would be a nice addition to the garden, however another appropriate species would be advisable. In the U.S.A. it is best planted in the "back 40" as the roots are aggressive and making gardening impossible.

Verbascum thapsus, a common invasive weed. Sometimes they they can look okay and I will let one grow. So sad some of the nicer species do not seed around as easily.

Cichorium intybus, Chicory. Some of the other species make wonderful vegetables!  :)  Endive, Frisee, etc. I always enjoyed them when they flowered for seed production.
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #496 on: August 09, 2016, 03:57:01 PM »

Skeleton Weed, Chondrilla juncea. 50-60 years ago there was an attempt to eradicate Skeleton Weed from California. Sadly the project failed and this species can be found in most disturbed sites throughout the lower elevations of California.

Conifers and other forest trees and shrubs continue to die due to the drought. Average precipitation this past winter did bring some relief, however much of the ecosystem is still very stressed.

Yesterday I was able to take a ride up to Wright's Lake.

There are still many wildflowers in bloom at the high elevations, such as this Paintbrush, Castillejia miniata.

Cirsium andersonii looking good. I will be able to resume my botanical outings next week.  :)  8)
Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #497 on: August 13, 2016, 08:11:46 AM »
Two of these are native here, and a few more I know, but the grasses are unknown to me. Usually I don't look twice of a grass except when it is something special with it ;)
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Robert

« Reply #498 on: August 14, 2016, 01:02:35 AM »
Two of these are native here, and a few more I know, but the grasses are unknown to me. Usually I don't look twice of a grass except when it is something special with it ;)

Trond,

I can understand how you might pass on the Poaceae. I did this for too many years. In California the Poaceae are often a very large component of an ecosystem. In my situation, understanding the impact of invasive species, their distribution, as well as many other considerations, especially with Poaceae became imperative. In many situation, the original native bunch grass habitats have been obliterated. In some cases, finding even a tiny remnant of a native bunch grass habitat (especially low elevation) can be a significant find.

Maybe it is much different in Norway?

I am now back at home.  :)  I have an outing planned for this week. I look forward to both the outing and reporting on my findings.  :)
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Hoy

« Reply #499 on: August 14, 2016, 08:04:24 AM »
Robert,

Grases and grass-like plants like sedges, are very important here also in many ways. They are often main components of the ecosystems, economically imortant and also aestetic important (lawns!). Most species in Norway are the same as in the rest of Europe although different ecotypes exist. Nobody seems to bother as much of foreign grasses as of other foreign plants though. Grasses from other parts of the World are still rare. Anyway, most grass species you will find on a "botanical outing" are still native.

Robert

« Reply #500 on: August 17, 2016, 12:54:55 AM »
Tomorrow I will be off to Smith Lake. This is a back door route to the summit of Mount Price. Most likely I will not have time to reach the summit, however I hope to have a lively report on my findings.  :)
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #501 on: August 18, 2016, 04:04:58 PM »

Yesterday I had a very successful outing to Smith Lake and beyond. Fortunately many of the photograph turned out well and I will report on this outing as I can over the next week.

This photograph was taken near a false summit looking out over Smith Lake.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Hoy

« Reply #502 on: August 18, 2016, 09:22:49 PM »
Looking forward to the rest of it, Robert! Smith Lake looks nice but the terrain seems to be very rugged!

Robert

« Reply #503 on: August 21, 2016, 02:13:18 AM »
Looking forward to the rest of it, Robert! Smith Lake looks nice but the terrain seems to be very rugged!

Trond,

I have a very good story to tell. Work keeps me busy and slows down the progress on posting the outings. I hope to get started Sunday or Monday.  :)
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Hoy

« Reply #504 on: August 21, 2016, 07:23:28 PM »
Take your time and don't hurry ;) 

Robert

« Reply #505 on: August 22, 2016, 09:11:34 PM »
SMITH LAKE
Part I

Wednesday, 17 August 2016

Sacramento Weather
Weather: Clear
Temperature, High: 95 F (35 C)
                     Low: 61 F (16 C)

Placerville Weather
Weather: Clear
Temperature, High: 98 F (36.5 C)
                     Low: 62 F (16.6 C)

I started this trek from the east shore of Wright's Lake, elevation 6,990 feet (2,131 meters). My goal this day was to hike to Smith Lake and then climb the high ridge near Mount Price (elevation 9,974 feet [3,040 meters]. I was hoping to find a quick and easier route to a high bench on the southwestern flank of Mount Price where a number of interesting alpine species can be found.

Wright's Lake is a very popular destination both for car campers, as well as the summer cabin owners in this area. It is hard to believe that before the summer cabins and campers that a dairy operated near the lake. As you can see from the photograph, there are many fine meadows near the lake. The dairy cattle are long gone and the meadows have recovered to a great extent. There are still remnants of fencing, however this is slowly disappearing as the wooden posts and metal wire rust and decay.

The meadows are full of moisture loving species, such as this Senecio triangularis, still in bloom.

Where the soil it thin Mimulus primuloides grows abundantly. If the soil stays moist they will bloom well in the autumn.

When the vegetation is lush and thick the grass Glyceria elata is commonly seen. Lovely stands of Aconitum columbianum were blooming in this area, however the photographs did not turn out.  :'(

Chanerion angustifolium is very lovely in this setting. This species can grow in large stands creating a beautiful show. Yes, I know this species can be weedy to say the least in other parts of the globe, however here as a native species they seem very much in balance.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 09:13:27 PM by Robert »
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #506 on: August 22, 2016, 09:38:13 PM »

On slightly higher, and drier ground around the lake, a completely different set of species is seen.

Lonicera conjugialis blooms very early in the season. This time of year the fruits turn bright red and are very attractive.

Where I parked my truck, I was greeted by scattered stands of the bright yellow Eriogonum umbellatum var. polyanthum in bloom.

This well known species is easily grown in our garden. They often have a prolonged blooming period in our garden, providing flower color well into the summer. As of today, we still have a few flowering stems that look good.

Bitter Dogbane, Apoccynum androsaemiflium, when growing in a good location can look quite fine. These were growing quite lush near the trail.

The dried stalks of Elymus elymoides, Squirreltail, (pictured) were seen frequently. The tall stems of Blue Wild-rye, Elymus glaucus ssp. glaucus, were also seen in this habitat.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 09:40:35 PM by Robert »
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #507 on: August 22, 2016, 10:03:40 PM »

This time of year stands of Solidago elongata brighten the landscape with their yellow flowers.

The trail follows a steep grade to Smith Lake and the terrain changes quickly as one leaves the meadowy flats around Wright's Lake. The hot, dry, open granite slopes are scattered with specimens of Jeffrey Pine, Pinus jeffreyi. It is quite the contrast from the Lodgepole Pine forest, Pinus contorta ssp murrayana, that dominate the landscape around Wright's Lake.

Where there is enough soil, chaparral species such as Quercus vacciniifolia are seen. This specimen has an oak gall created by a wasp species that propagate themselves within the gall.

Normal I rarely see acorns on Huckleberry Oak, Quercus vacciniifolia. This year many of the shrubs were loaded with acorns.

In this hot, dry, desolate landscape Sedum obtusatum finds a home among the rocks. Early in the season this habitat can be a blaze of color from the flowers of Penstemon newberryi and Penstemon laetus, as well as bulbous species. With the hot dry season they hang on while other species such as Crytogramma acrostichoides and Pellaea bridgesii dry up and look dead.

To be continued........
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #508 on: August 23, 2016, 11:42:26 PM »
Smith Lake
Part II

As I worked my way up the trail toward Grouse Lake, convection cloudiness had started to build. Were there to be thunderstorms today? This is something I needed to consider, especially since I was going to attempt to cross some very high ridges.

Grouse Lake, elevation 8,142 feet (2,482 meters), is about 3 miles (4.8 km) from the trailhead. The trail follows a fairly stiff incline especially the second segment of the trail.

The north end of the lake where the creek exits is very marsh-like with many interesting plants. Many Ericaceae species thrive at this site, such as Phyllodoce breweri, Cassiope mertensiana, Kalmia polifolia and Ledum columbianum. If ones timing is correct the orchid Planthera dilatata var. leucostachys can be found in bloom. This time of year all of the above have long since finished blooming.

Early in the season some parts of this marshy area are partly submerged with water. Here Carex utriculata (pictured) grows happily. This Carex species is commonly found in such habitats in this part of California.

Another Carex species that would follow me as I continued my climb up the mountain was Carex spectabilis.

Oreostemma (Aster) alpigenum var. andersonii is a late bloomer. I found them in bloom around Grouse Lake and in many of the moist meadows as I continued up the mountain.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 11:49:13 PM by Robert »
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #509 on: August 24, 2016, 12:05:09 AM »

Hemlock Lake, elevation 8,388 feet (2,557 meters), is a very short distance from Grouse Lake, however the trail is very steep between the two lakes.

There are a number of meadows between Grouse and Hemlock Lakes. The meadows are generally good locations to look around for interesting species.

This day I did not find much except the usual Cassiope, Phyllododce, Kalmia as well as blooming plants of Perideridia parishii (pictured) and Oreostemma alpigenum var. andersonii.

It is also a very short hike up to Smith Lake, however once again the grade is very steep. Here the forest thins dramatically as the tree line approaches. Here one sees wind swept and dwarfed Mountain Hemlock, Tsuga mertensiana.

As the forest thins, there are also fantastic vistas in many directions. This view is to the west toward Union Valley Reservoir (seen in the distance).
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 12:08:15 AM by Robert »
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal