We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: 2016 - Robert's adventures in the Northern Sierra Nevada - California  (Read 107871 times)

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
Re: 2016 - Robert's adventures in the Northern Sierra Nevada - California
« Reply #285 on: May 14, 2016, 09:06:20 AM »
Joke aside, I agree - it is incredible beautiful!

- and I love water, both trickles and big streams (whatever I have said before ;) ).
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #286 on: May 14, 2016, 02:31:36 PM »
Gabriela,
I can't see any similarities with the Mekon?  ;D

What did I miss Trond? ??? Was I born too late? ;D
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Hoy

« Reply #287 on: May 14, 2016, 06:12:39 PM »

The drawing of Mekon is from 1997 so you have to be very young then ;) (I don't know the figure either, just came across it)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #288 on: May 14, 2016, 06:30:49 PM »

For sure !  Read more here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/anderson/scarlet/
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
« Reply #289 on: May 14, 2016, 06:34:59 PM »
Poho Ridge

Part II

Continuing on among the rock ledges.....

Bird's-foot Fern, Pellaea mucronata, was frequently seen on the sunny rock ledges and cliff faces. This species endures brutally hot, dry conditions and yet it thrives, remaining evergreen throughout the hot, dry summer and autumn months.

There were plenty of other wildflowers to be seen in this area. On slopes with a bit more soil, there were large colonies of the annual Lupine, Lupinus nanus. The flowers of this species are rather large and make a considerable impression.

More Lupinus nanus.

Also pictured is the yellow flowered invasive, Trifolium dubium. Both Trifolium dubium and T. campestre grow in our area. The two species are fairly easy to distinguish from each other if they are examined closely. Trifolium campestre generally has 20 or more flowers per inflorescence, T. dubium generally 5-10 flowers per inflorescence. In addition, there are differences in the striations on the flowers, as well as differences in the relationship of the petiole length to the leaflet length in the mid-leaves. There are other subtle difference as well.

There were a number of non-native Trifolium species in this area. Tomcat Clover, Trifolium wildenovii, pictured, is one of our native clover species.

There were a fair number of Themidaceae seen this day. Pictured is Dichelostemma multiflorum. On the top of Poho Ridge I also found Dichelostemma congestum in bloom. The two species can look similar, however the perianth crown of Dichelostemma congestum is deeply notched, thus the common name, Fork-toothed Ookow. The perianth crown of Dichelostemma multiflorum is generally rounded or truncate, however I have seen plants where the perianth crown is shallowly notched or lobed, but not deeply notched.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 06:38:04 PM by Robert »
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #290 on: May 14, 2016, 06:55:25 PM »

As I moved higher on the ridge there were areas with much more soil. The wildflower displays in these areas were spectacular and stunningly beautiful.

This is one such display with Lupinus nanus, Eriophyllum lanatum var. grandiflorum, and Trifolium hirtum.

It was difficult to restrain myself. It was very compelling to capture the scenes with photographs.

More beautiful combinations.

Trifloium hirtum, the dominate species in bloom in this photograph, is a very common non-native invasive in our area. Most of the time it does not make much of an impression on me. Here it look fantastic with our native species.

There were many other things to see, so I continued on to the crest of Poho Ridge.

The landscape may look green with grasses between the burned out trees, however I was soon to find that a huge variety of other wildflowers grew in these areas.
Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #291 on: May 14, 2016, 07:19:50 PM »

In many places, the King Fire burned intensely hot on the slopes approaching the canyon crest. Even in these situations, where there seemed to be no life after the fire, there has been strong regeneration of species well adapted to fire.

Pictured is Ericameria arborescens a pioneer species that regenerates and grows strongly after a fire.

There were also many seedlings of White Leaf Manzanita, Arctostaphylos viscida. This species does not "stump sprout" as other California Arctostaphylos species are capable, however it is still very well adapted to survival with fire.

Other areas along the ridge crest were showing very strong regeneration with an amazing diversity of species.

This blooming Purple Milkweed, Asclepias cordifolia, caught my attention. I am happy that it did, as there turned out to be many interesting and beautiful species at this site.

Among the regrowth, I found Viola lobata in bloom by the hundreds.

This site contained the largest concentration of this species that I have found to date. A real treasure!
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #292 on: May 14, 2016, 07:42:56 PM »

More Viola lobata.

I often try to understand why a species will grow in large concentrations at one site and yet is not commonly seen throughout the rest of the region. Such things are generally not simple, multiple factors being involved. In the case of the Violas, fire may have been a contributing factor in their strong growth at this site. I also noticed the kaolinite based soil, reddish from iron oxide, they were growing in. I have found this species in both kaolinite based soils as well as soils based on other rocks and minerals. Something for me to file away in my mind and contemplate.

Bear Clover, Chamaebatia foliolosa, is a common species at this elevation, 3,311 feet (1,009 meters). This species often forms large carpets under the tree canopy at this altitude. Regeneration after a fire is generally very strong, as it was at this location.

Lathyrus sulphereus was found twinning and blooming among the other plant species.

For me it is a very attractive species worthy of garden cultivation. I have yet to give it a try, however it is high on my priority list.

Another attractive Lathyrus species sharing this site was L. nevadense. I found some excellent forms of this species on my trip to the Mokelomne River canyon (Yes, I will post this outing sometime in the future  :-[  ).
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 07:47:38 PM by Robert »
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #293 on: May 14, 2016, 07:47:52 PM »
The range of plants you are showing us is astounding. Thank you, Robert, for opening my eyes to these riches.

Robert

« Reply #294 on: May 14, 2016, 08:08:03 PM »

There were hundreds of Calochortus monophyllus blooming at this site.

I enjoy looking at all of the individual blooming plants as the flowers all have subtle differences and can be very fascinating.

This specimen had more than ten flowers in the clump.

I make a considerable effort to pay attention to all of the plant species (for me vascular species) at any given site. This requires some degree of time and patience as there are often numerous species and sometimes small subtle species to examine.

Pictured is a common invasive grass at this elevation, Bromus tectorum. I take note of such things, as invasive grasses have had a huge impact on our California ecology and environment. How such species interact with the ecology and environment can be very interesting (at least for me).

Where there was a bit more shade I found Rubus glaucifolius growing among the tangle of regrowth. Sadly I rarely find berries on this species. The wild creatures find them first.

There is more!

To be continued......
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #295 on: May 14, 2016, 08:21:57 PM »
The range of plants you are showing us is astounding. Thank you, Robert, for opening my eyes to these riches.

Maggi,

I am very pleased to share these outings. I believe there are tremendous riches almost everywhere. I often view Ian's Bulb Log and think of the fantastic treasure you and Ian have in your own backyard (front yard too)!

We can find such things everywhere and can hopefully be truly inspired in our gardens and local environments. I know some folks have only small container gardens, yet such things can still be inspiring and beautiful.

And yes, the plants and environment were especially beautiful and inspiring this day. I am glad that you and hopefully many other enjoy!  :)   :)   :)
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #296 on: May 14, 2016, 08:25:28 PM »
A coincidence that you should picture the Bromus on a day when Bob Nold in Colorado has been bemoaning
(elsewhere) the field overrun with the stuff that ajoins his property. A real nuisance indeed.(But elegant too!)

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #297 on: May 14, 2016, 09:22:40 PM »
Oh, that was a treat Robert after along day weeding before we open the garden tomorrow. Some tremendous pictures! Nature really does know best. I'm more intrigued by the xerophytic ferns; imagining a rocky trough devoted to them (a project for the future).
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Hoy

« Reply #298 on: May 15, 2016, 06:48:15 AM »
Robert,

I am enjoying your colourful report while looking out on a very bleak landscape up here. What a contrast!

Robert

« Reply #299 on: May 15, 2016, 11:33:09 PM »
A coincidence that you should picture the Bromus on a day when Bob Nold in Colorado has been bemoaning
(elsewhere) the field overrun with the stuff that ajoins his property. A real nuisance indeed.(But elegant too!)

Maggi,

The invasive non-native Bromus species are generally nasty things to deal with around here. 4 to 6 species (Bromus diandrus being on the top of the list - Ripgut Brome is a very appropriate common name) can be terrible to deal with after they have dried somewhat. They getting in ones clothing while weeding, doing fire control, and other activities. Sometimes I look like a porcupine after doing fire control. It is a real mess!  :P
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal