We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: 2016 - Robert's adventures in the Northern Sierra Nevada - California  (Read 107883 times)

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
Re: 2016 - Robert's adventures in the Northern Sierra Nevada - California
« Reply #240 on: April 29, 2016, 08:19:47 PM »

Minuartia californica was another species blooming among the serpentine rocks. Both Minuartia californica and M. douglasii grow in the Traverse Creek area. They look quite similar, but fortunately they are easy to distinguish from each other; M. californica being glabrous, M. douglasii being glandular - hairy.

I have find this species useful in the rock garden, the airy stems and small white flowers mixing well with other species.

Throughout the Traverse Creek area there are many meadows, often each meadow has its own unique species.

In some areas there were thousands of the Themidaceae, Triteleia hyacinthina in bloom. In some places they were the dominant species, in other areas they mixed with other blooming species creating beautiful color combinations.

Another Mimulus species I was hoping to find this day was Mimulus layneae. Their blooming season is just starting so I found only a few tiny plants in bloom. Later in the season there will be huge drifts of this species blooming throughout the Traverse Creek area.

A great treat was finding Viola douglasii still in bloom. This species blooms very early in the season. I found many plants still in their blooming prime. In addition, they seem to have benefited from the additional rainfall this year. The number of plants observed was up considerably over the previous two seasons.
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #241 on: April 29, 2016, 08:42:07 PM »

I have always found Viola douglasii growing in areas of serpentine rock. It is a xeric species that goes completely dormant during the hot, dry summer season. I have found this species growing both in full sun and in the part shade of neighboring shrubs.

I cultivation I tend to keep the plants slightly moist during their summer dormancy. This is especially true in containers. In the ground, established plant prefer to be keep completely dry during the summer. I tend to lose this species if I irrigate even slightly during the summer when they are planted in the open ground (generally a clay soil).

In other areas there were large drifts of the tiny flowered Leptosiphon bicolor. I have found this annual species easy to cultivate in the garden as long as the soil is gritty and well drained.

Where there was more moisture and greater soil depth Sisyrinchium bellum was growing and blooming.

I reached the top of a ridge, 2,496 feet (761 meters), as another wave of rain showers approached. It was getting late and I still had another site to visit. I quickly moved down the ridge to the truck parked below.

I am curious about all the plants species. As I approached the truck I found this Carex species, C. serratodens, blooming in a seasonally moist meadow. After a photograph it was back to the truck and off to my last site for the day.
Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #242 on: April 29, 2016, 09:08:58 PM »
I had been given a tip about a site where there were many Primula (Dodecatheon) hendersonii growing in one location. This site is located up the mountain above the small town of Georgetown, California. I was very eager to check this site and see what I might find.

I could have driven directly to the site but preferred to park a short distance away and hike the rest of the distance to see what I might find. I was not disappointed. Where I parked the truck there were large colonies of Calochortus monophyllus and Triteleia ixioides in bloom. In addition I found one blooming plant of Horkelia tridentata. I have never observed this species at such a low elevation before, 3,246 feet (924 meters).

As I walked down the dirt road I found some excellent examples of Ceanothus tomentosus in full bloom.

Also, some excellent specimens of Iris hartwegii in full bloom.

Another surprise was finding Viola purpurea. This was the only plant in bloom and one of maybe 3-5 specimens I found in this area. I rarely observe this species at low elevation sites. I have found this species at still lower elevation sites but this is not very common in our area.

After a short hike I finally arrived at the Primula (Dodecatheon) site. All the plants had finished blooming and some had ripening seed capsules. This was fine with me. I had a great time checking on the other species that grew at this site. I found blooming plants of Dichelostemma capitaum, Calochortus monophyllus and Triteleia ixioides. The whole site was carpeted with Acmispon parviflorus and Trifolium dubium. Luzula comosa and a Chlorogalum species were a few of the other species of note.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #243 on: April 29, 2016, 09:15:25 PM »
It had started to rain again, however I saw something a short distance away that I wanted to check on.

This turned out to be the species of the day. A beautiful colony of Hosackia incana! The woolly gray foliage is very striking and the flowers are attractive too.

The rain was pouring now and it was late in the day. Time to return home. This was a great site and I will return, especially to see the Primula (Dodecatheon) in bloom and definitely to revisit the Hosackia.

Until next time....
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #244 on: April 29, 2016, 09:40:12 PM »
Robert - no doubt that spring in Sierra Nevada is 'the season of ten thousand flowers'  :) (as called in a poem by a Chinese monk).
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #245 on: April 30, 2016, 08:33:45 AM »
Robert - no doubt that spring in Sierra Nevada is 'the season of ten thousand flowers'  :) (as called in a poem by a Chinese monk).

Looks more like high summer to me ;) Here the maximum temperature is still only 10C (and the minimum is 0C).

I enjoy your trips Robert, even in rain ;)
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Robert

« Reply #246 on: April 30, 2016, 06:20:23 PM »
The rain has been very nice. For the most part everything is still green. There is some drying in the central valley, as some areas begin to turn golden yellow for the summer, and early autumn.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #247 on: May 01, 2016, 07:03:28 PM »
Robert,

I forgot to say, the Hosackia looks great! Hosackia is unknown here. It looks a little like a Vicia or Lathyrus to me. Iris hartwegii is very nice too.
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Robert

« Reply #248 on: May 01, 2016, 11:29:50 PM »
Trond,

Hosackia incana is high on my "attempt to cultivate" list. Not surprising, it is a member of the Fabaceae family, some of which are certainly difficult to cultivate well (at least for me).

Iris hartwegii is said to be difficult in cultivation for some here in California. I have no difficulty with this species. I have many seedlings coming along at various stages of growth. No flowers this year. Somewhat surprising for me, as many are large and old enough to bloom now. Maybe next year.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #249 on: May 06, 2016, 12:29:54 AM »
I had a high productive day yesterday at three different sites. Each had its unique mix of flora. I had very good fortune with my photography and have a very good selection of photographs to share. I will have to separate this posting into three different segments.

Below are a few sample photographs.

I hit Calochortus luteus in peak bloom at the Deer Creek Hills.

From there I moved well into the Sierra Nevada.

A view of Silver Creek far down in the canyon near Jay Bird Reservoir.

There was a great display of Iris hartwegii as I moved down into the canyon.

A huge display of Calochortus minimus at my last stop of the day.

There is much for me to post. I hope to get an early start.  :)
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #250 on: May 06, 2016, 09:04:01 AM »
So many more fascinating plants Robert! Viola douglasii is a neat thing, and Hosackia incana. I think my interest in the Apiaceae has a lot to do with their foliage as much as flowers; legumes have the same appeal and the viola is delightful too. Here in the 'alpine world' in the UK we see pictures of the amazing rosulate violas from S. America (and very occasionally see them in cultivation) but the N. American species are just as fascinating. Must be so exciting to come across these in their natural habitats. (PS: some of the seed you sent me of other plants is germinating but we had such a lack of proper winter cold that seed germination this year has been much more erratic and limited than usual - I hope that more will appear next year and I would certainly like to explore the Californian flora more in the garden here, even if not so easy to grow. The landscapes you show are even more wonderful. Thanks again).
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Robert

« Reply #251 on: May 06, 2016, 06:19:49 PM »
Deer Creek Hills
Jay Bird Reservoir
&
Peavine Ridge

Part I

Wednesday, 4 May 2016

Sacramento Weather

Weather: Cloudy
Temperature, High: 78 F (25.5 C), Low: 59 F (15 C)

Placerville Weather

Weather: Cloudy
Temperature, High: 74 F (23 C), Low: 54 F (12 C)

I started the day in Sacramento and headed east in the Sacramento Valley toward the Sierra Nevada Mountains. First for the day, I was in search of Delphinium variegatum ssp. variegatum. I had sighted the species blooming along side the freeway for several weeks and was hoping to find a good place to have a close look at them on some side road in the area. I pulled off the freeway onto a side road hoping to find some. No luck!

Rather than return to the freeway I decided to take the back roads as I traveled toward the mountains. Right away I started seeing plants of Calochortus luteus blooming along side the road. Unfortunately, the semi-rural roads in this area are very narrow and loaded with automobile traffic. Very frustrating for me, as it would be great to check on this species too.

The road I was on headed in the general direction of the Deer Creek Hills so I decided to head out there. At least there would be no traffic!

As you can see from the photograph there is much open space in the Deer Creek Hills.

Quickly, I spotted large drifts of Calochortus luteus in bloom.

No traffic here! This was a great place to get out and take a much closer look at the plants.

There were hundreds of Calochortus to check on each with their own variation in flower markings.

There were other species in bloom too.  Scattered among the Calochortus luteus was Dichelostemma multiflorum.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #252 on: May 06, 2016, 06:59:42 PM »

The Deer Creek Hills are low elevation, 555 feet (169 meters). The low rolling hills are still considered "Valley" habitat as the plant life changes considerably was one moves in the lower foothills of the Sierra Nevada Mountains.

Triteleia hyacinthina was in full bloom.

Here they are blooming with Hawkbit, Leontodon saxatilis. The Hawkbit, an invasive Asteraceae, put on quite the show. Thousands were scattered among the invasive grasses over the rolling hills.

As I walked among the plants I found one lone plant of Delphinium variegatum ssp. variegatum. This species is sometimes referred to as the Royal Larkspur.  The flowers are certainly a rich, royal, dark purple-blue. This species is perennial. It is summer dormant, with new growth arising each winter as the autumn-winter rains return. I have never cultivated this species in the garden, however it is high on my long list of species to try in the garden.

I did not spent much time at the Deer Creek Hills as my main goal was to visit the Silver Creek Canyon near Jay Bird Reservoir.

First, I briefly stopped at the Greenstone Serpentine Barrens just down the road from the farm. The whole site was ablaze with Clarkia in full bloom.

I keyed the species out to Clarkia dudleyana a species said to be limited to the southern and central Sierra Nevada Foothills. It has been suggested that the species is Clarkia arcuata, however the plants do not fit the description completely. It will be fun to looking into this more. Perhaps this could be a new northern limit for Clarkia dudleyana, or maybe just a mistake on my part.  :)

Anyway, it was now time to get up the the Silver Creek canyon ridge.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #253 on: May 06, 2016, 07:26:05 PM »

By late morning I arrived at the ridge top overlooking the Silver Creek Canyon and Jay Bird Reservoir, elevation 4,636 feet (1,413 meters). This area sustained considerable damage when the King Fire burned through the area two seasons ago. I was very pleased to find that this portion of the canyon suffered much less damage. The King Fire may have created a benefit for the forest and ecosystem in this area as some undergrowth was burned away leaving the forest canopy alive and intact. The thinning of the forest also has allow more light to reach the forest floor and has reduced plant competition. Most of the perennial and annual species seemed to have benefited from this greatly.

Viola purpurea is one of the perennial species that has benefited from the fire. They were growing and blooming abundantly from the canyon rim well down into the canyon.

In an area of ancient volcanic ash and debris I spotted a nice drift of Lupinus grayi coming into bloom.

In this area where the soil was somewhat drier grew the annual Mimulus bicolor. Last year I found only scattered patches of this species. The return to average precipitation has increased their numbers dramatically.

Where water seeped from the rock face Mimulus guttatus was in bloom. Some forms of this species have a conspicuous maroon blotch on the petals. I find this characteristic attractive and interesting.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #254 on: May 06, 2016, 07:54:09 PM »

As I worked my way down into the canyon I came across large drifts of the annual, Nemophila heterophylla, in bloom.

In some areas this species formed huge spectacular carpets on the forest floor.

Never abundant, Solanum xanti was found in bloom. This species grows over a wide altitude range. I have found this species growing in the lower foothills of the Sierra Nevada as well in high altitude areas.

A somewhat common species, Western Waterleaf, Hydrophyllum occidentale, is often seen in shady forested area.

The flowers are suggestive of the Genus Phacelia to which it is related. At one time Phacelia, Draperia, Nemophila, Hydrophyllum, etc. were part of the Hydrophyllaceae family, however they have now been subsumed into the Boraginaceae family.

There is still more, however it is time for me to continue later.  :)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 08:03:49 PM by Robert »
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal