We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: 2016 - Robert's adventures in the Northern Sierra Nevada - California  (Read 108209 times)

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
Re: 2016 - Robert's adventures in the Northern Sierra Nevada - California
« Reply #315 on: May 19, 2016, 06:34:11 PM »
This week's posting will be somber compared to last week's extravaganza of blooming wildflowers.

A scene from the King Fire burn area.

This week I traveled to one of the locations severally damaged by the King Fire. For me, the outing was extremely enjoyable (despite hurt feelings over the destruction seen) and interesting. There is something to learn from everything and I look forward to the progression of events over the years in this part of the burn area.
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #316 on: May 20, 2016, 06:45:39 PM »
Rubicon River Canyon
Ellicott's Crossing

Wednesday, 18 May 2016

Sacramento Weather

High Clouds

Temperature, High: 94 F (34.5 C), Low: 65 F (18 C)

Placerville Weather

High Clouds

Temperature, High: 88 F (31 C), Low: 52 F (11 C)

This week's outing took me to the northern boarder of El Dorado County where the Rubicon River is the boundary with Placer County to the north. This area was severely impacted by the King Fire two seasons ago. I'm quite interested is studying the impact this fire had on the region. In 2002, I had done a preliminary plant survey of the Rubicon River Canyon. In addition, our family summer cabin had been in this area for many years. I am fortunate to be very familiar with the terrain, past history, and plant species of the area. This is a great opportunity to see how the ecology - natural history progresses and changes into the future.

My first stop was at the southern canyon rim, 4,666 feet (1,422 meters).

Despite the fact that most of the forest trees had burned and were dead, there was considerable regrowth on the forest floor. There were huge colonies of Viola lobata in bloom throughout this area.

Joining Viola lobata was an equal number of Viola purpurea.

Most of the Viola purpurea were past their prime bloom cycle, however many still had flowers along with many seed pods ripening on the same blooming plants.

Where there was adequate sunlight and some bare mineral earth, Mimulus torreyi was growing and blooming abundantly.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 07:22:17 PM by Robert »
Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #317 on: May 20, 2016, 07:20:14 PM »

Mimulus torreyi, a California Native annual, is a tiny species. I have found this species growing over a broad altitude range in El Dorado County, California, from the mid-elevations well into the arctic-alpine zones.

Much of the shrubbery has recovered well at this site. Bushy and blooming plants, 2 meter high, of Frangula rubra ssp. rubra were scattered about.

Also, at this site, was a sightly different manifestation of Rosa bridgesii. The plants at this site were double serrated, however it took a very close look to notice.

Soon the path I was traveling started to descend into the Rubicon River Canyon, however I first needed to pass a slash pile from the salvage logging that had taken place in the area. The whole site had been colonized by the invasive Tansy Mustard, Descurainia sophia. This species does not concern me, however logging and logging equipment too often introduce new and sometimes highly invasive species. I like to take look around these areas too and see what is going on.

The path traversed the more shaded north facing slope of the canyon where there were many Maianthemum racemosum in bloom.

Maianthemum racemosum, as well as its related species, M. stellata grow in our region. They are extremely easy to grow in a woodland garden.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 07:26:38 PM by Robert »
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #318 on: May 20, 2016, 07:40:58 PM »

This slope was also prime habitat for Trientalis latifolia, Lysimachia latifolia. Many grew and were in bloom along this slope. The flowers ranged in color from clear pink, through various shades of pale pink, to pure white. In addition, maybe 0.5% had cauline leaves.

One can look at the next few photographs and see some of the flower color range for themselves.

Pink shades.

Somewhat pale pink.

Very white.

As I moved on, Draperia systla was frequently seen in bloom in sunnier, but still fairly shady spots.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #319 on: May 20, 2016, 07:52:52 PM »
Robert,

Although the great fire has damaged a lot it is very interesting to see how the nature regenerates!

Trientalis latifolia seems to have bigger/broader leaves than its European cousin. Moreover, they are devoured by slugs! The native ones are left unscathed.

Old picture, they have not started flowering yet.

I do grow Maianthemum stellatum but not racemosum in my garden :)

Rosa bridgesii looks great!  - as do all the other ones :)

Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Robert

« Reply #320 on: May 20, 2016, 08:13:27 PM »

I was delighted to find some good stems of Lilium washingtonianum. The deer like to eat the tops out of the lilies and Fritillarias leaving no flowers. The best plants are often those growing out of the shrubbery where the deer can not reach them. Along this slope I found only 3 specimens, however in this area I have found mountainsides covered with thousands of blooming lilies. The fragrance of this species is very clove-like and delightful.

At one point along the slope, there were many Thimbleberry, Rubus parviflorus, in bloom. The fruit of this species is good to eat, if you can get to it before the wild creatures do. I generally associate this species with springs or running water. I did not see any signs of a spring, however ground water must be present during the whole growing season.

Soon the path opened into a sunny area where there had been some salvage logging. There were a few specimens of Calyptridium monospermum in bloom. The cauline leaves (seen in the photograph) on the flowering stems is one characteristic that is used to identify this species.

Also in bloom in this sunny, mineral earth area, was Collinsia torreyi var. torreyi. This is one of our smaller growing species, and of coarse an annual too.

I still had much I wanted to accomplish, so I hiked back up the ridge to the truck. From here I drove down into the Rubicon River Canyon to Ellicott's Crossing, 3,514 feet (1,071 meters). These days they call this site Ellicott's Bridge, however I spent many summers in this area when I was younger. A long time ago the site was called Ellicott's Crossing as one needed to drive through the water to cross the river. As a boy, I remember an old wooden bridge across the river. Now there is a steel - concrete bridge that crosses far above the river.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #321 on: May 20, 2016, 08:46:48 PM »

Although the fire has changed things considerably, I parked the truck in my usual place and started hiking east toward Hell Hole Reservoir a good number of miles up stream. I had hiked this trail many time during the 2002 survey season. I was very curious to see what impact the fire might have had.

I was very pleased to be greeted by many blooming clumps of Iris hartwegii.

The whole scene was marvelous, for in addition to the Iris there were large drifts of Penstemon heterophyllus in bloom, as well as the bight yellow-orange, Acmispon nevadensis var. nevadensis.

I was not hard to see how nature was adjusting to the aftermath of the King Fire. Much of the forest floor was carpeted with masses of small plants of Ceanothus integerrimus var. macrothyrsus. The whole canyon side was covered more or less in this manner.

This certainly seemed to be beneficial to ecosystem. The Rubicon River was flowing clear and clean without any signs of slitting. In addition, as I hiked the tail toward Hell Hell Reservoir I saw no indications of major erosion or slippage in the canyon.

The original crossing and old bridge site is very old. Many invasive species have long established themselves here. Here grew the usual mix of invasives such as Bromus tectorum, B. diandrus, B. hordeaceus, and Hordeum murinum, as well as Rumex crispus, Rubus armeniacus, and many others.

It was pleasing to see some native species, such as Mimulus bicolor, blooming at this old river crossing.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #322 on: May 20, 2016, 08:49:20 PM »
Brilliant stuff as usual Robert.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Robert

« Reply #323 on: May 20, 2016, 09:26:29 PM »

The trail climbs rather steeply from its starting point at Ellicott's crossing. Although Ceanothus integerrimus dominated the regrowth, in places there were large patches of Draperia systyla in bloom. It was quite impressive, and has me reconsidering its value as an ornamental in the garden.

Not only was the river running clean but the tributary streams seemed to be in good condition too. This small waterfall was quite pleasing.

Stick Sedge, Carex multicaulis, is a very un-sedge-like sedge species. I do come across this species throughout the lower elevations of Sierra Nevada Mountains, as well as the higher foothill regions. I saw this species frequently this day. In addition, I also found one other Carex species in a moist area near the waterfall. This species key out as Carex infirminervia, a species very closely related to C. leptopoda.

I hiked the trail as long as time allowed. Indian Pinks, Silene lancinata ssp. californica, were still in bloom and provided some bright color.

However, it was now getting late and time for me to return to the truck and home. I was very pleased with my efforts this day and hope to return soon to see how things progress as well as hike the complete route to Hell Hole Reservoir.

This is how private land is being managed in the King Fire burn area. All growth is being removed down to the mineral earth. Not much is left growing. The area will be replanted with a monoculture of a single conifer species, most likely Ponderosa Pine. Massive amounts of herbicides and chemicals will be used to kill and suppress the growth of all other species. This area straddles both sides of Pilot Creek the chief tributary of Lake Edson and the drinking water supply of Georgetown and the whole Georgetown Divide.   
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #324 on: May 20, 2016, 09:43:23 PM »

More salvage logging.

Scenes like this help me appreciate the wisdom of U. S. Forest Service and some of their land management practices. Leaving the dead trees standing in the Rubicon River Canyon will benefit the health of the ecosystem, as well as help maintain water quality in the Rubicon River. Nature is already repairing the damage done by the King Fire. Salvage logging, as currently practiced, within the canyon would create severe negative impacts to the whole canyon ecosystem.

For me, it will be a great pleasure to study the natural regeneration within the Rubicon River Canyon ecosystem over the future years.

Until next time......    :)
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #325 on: May 20, 2016, 09:56:09 PM »
Robert,

Although the great fire has damaged a lot it is very interesting to see how the nature regenerates!

Trientalis latifolia seems to have bigger/broader leaves than its European cousin. Moreover, they are devoured by slugs! The native ones are left unscathed.

I do grow Maianthemum stellatum but not racemosum in my garden :)

Rosa bridgesii looks great!  - as do all the other ones :)

Trond,

I do not have any Trientalis europaea growing to make any comparison. I very much appreciate the observations and insights. Slugs are a big problem in our garden here in California too. Hopefully some of seed planted (T. europaea) will germinate. Like yours, all of my Trientalis latifolia seedlings were eaten by the slugs this spring. Nothing is left (or at least I do not think that anything is left), however I will try again.

We have a number of Rosa species here in California, some of which I already grow. The largest plant is in the shade of our orange tree and does not want to bloom. Maybe it is time to move it.  ;D
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #326 on: May 20, 2016, 09:59:46 PM »
Brilliant stuff as usual Robert.

David,

Thank you so much.  :)

This is certainly a fascinating and enjoyable project for me. I will endeavor to continue with a job well done.

Thank you again!
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #327 on: May 22, 2016, 10:04:55 AM »
Robert,

I always get depressed when I read about or see the use of herbicides, especially along the roads and in plantations. For me a mixed woodland is much more valuable than a monoculture. I am not sure a monoculture of trees will be more profitable in the long run as the whole ecosystem is destroyed.

What is the turnover time for a plantation of let's say Ponderosa pine?

Mimulus bicolor is cute :)
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #328 on: May 22, 2016, 10:54:58 AM »
This first film made by Peter Keith is an interesting, and balanced, view of forestry practices in the UK which could be learned from more widely. The pressures to manage woodland in a small country such as the UK are obviously far more immediate than in the vast landscapes of N. America, but the philosophy behind the ways this is done is surely universal, even where the ecology is so very different. Our woodlands and forests are incredibly important 'recreationally' (interesting to observe the meaning of that word!) as well as resources.

http://www.peterkeithfilms.co.uk/peter-keith-films-blog/?tag=Inspire+1#show-archive
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #329 on: May 22, 2016, 02:23:52 PM »
Draperia systyla  is interesting, an endemic to California? in Boraginaceae ?
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal