We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: 2016 - Robert's adventures in the Northern Sierra Nevada - California  (Read 107009 times)

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
Re: 2016 - Robert's adventures in the Northern Sierra Nevada - California
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2016, 05:51:15 AM »
Another great "report" on your area, Robert,
I love seeing snow-capped mountains, even if at a distance :)
The emerging Buckeye foliage is quite lovely too,
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2016, 04:39:15 PM »
Fermi,

Yes, this area is very interesting botanically. At the northern end of its range, most of the Calochortus venustus I have observed have been white, pale cream, or pale pink in flower. It would be good if I can explore the canyon of the North Fork of the Mokelumne River, just a few miles to the south. 10 years ago I surveyed parts of this river canyon from Salt Springs Reservoir and Blue Hole upper stream to Summit City Creek on the back side of Round Top Peak. There is an incredible variety of plant species in this area. I have yet to explore the lower end of the canyon where I am likely to find C. venustus near Tiger Creek. Below Tiger Creek Reservoir the flora was badly damaged by last year's Butte Fire. Still, maybe I can find some of the brighter color variations of C. venustus in this region, without having to travel farther south.

I think that I remember a comment, back awhile, about interest in some of the smaller Calochortus species in our area. Both C. coeruleus and the C. nudus / minimus complex grow at the higher elevations in El Dorado County (where our farm is located). They have been a bit challenging for me to grow, however I do have one C. coeruleus that may bloom this year. I will post my results when it is appropriate. In the mean time, I think that you may be interested in giving these a try as well as some of the lower elevation "dwarf" species.
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2016, 05:18:39 PM »
Wonderful 'exploration' again Robert! I have to say I envy you very much for being able to wander outside in the lookout for plants at this time of year.
And it would be interesting to see what species you will find in the area with granitic substrate.

Some of the pictures reveal a sad reality though - do we really need more vineyards?
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Robert

« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2016, 02:42:40 AM »
Gabriela,

It is a very sad situation with all the new vineyards going in. Sad for nature and sad for the farmer. There has been a glut of wine grapes on the market now for a number of years. The price per pound has dropped considerably. The old established growers and wine makers are doing fine, however the new growers often can not even sell their crop, especial if it is of poor quality. I hope somehow something good comes from all of this.
Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2016, 08:54:16 PM »
Robert,

Seems that El Dorado contains more than gold ;) (Whenever I hear or read the name I think of Spanish conquistadors ;D )

But I prefer the nature and not the vineyards  :(

I have planted one Incense Cedar where I work and it looks good but it is very slow growing.
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Robert

« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2016, 03:08:43 AM »

Trond,

My wife and I stopped by Traverse Creek today on our way to the farm. We only had enough time to stretch our legs. The creek was full of water and seems to have never been dry this past summer/fall.  :)

I hope to have my first good outing for 2016 this coming week.  :)

How large is your Incense Cedar now? They are somewhat slow growing here too.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Hoy

« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2016, 10:24:31 AM »
Robert,

I like that creek :) Seems a good place to start exploring!

The Incense Cedar is about 3m. I will take a picture later ;)

Robert

« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2016, 03:10:21 PM »
Robert,

I like that creek :) Seems a good place to start exploring!

Trond,

The Traverse Creek area is a treasure! The serpentine rock and soils have created an island of biodiversity in this area that is very unique.

The other day, my wife and I thought we could at least check on the Lewisia rediviva population. This did not work out - but this was okay too, as it would have been a bonus to what was already an excellent day.  :)  We will be back - Mimulus douglasii and M. layneae both grow here. I was hoping to gather seed from both these species last year, but my timing was off. They are two tiny annual species that I would be delighted to grow.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Hoy

« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2016, 05:16:29 PM »
This is an interesting creek up here but it is not much in bloom at the moment! A few years ago we had to make the track ourselves but now they use machines everywhere :(

Robert

« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2016, 02:53:56 AM »
This is an interesting creek up here but it is not much in bloom at the moment! A few years ago we had to make the track ourselves but now they use machines everywhere :(

Trond,

Is this creek up in the mountains inland from Myking?

It may be the same around here - machines everywhere. Skiing or snowshoeing around can be a good work-out, however I find the peace and quiet well worth the effort. When I went into the Sierra Nevada during the winter, especially on weekends, it was very noisy with the sounds of snowmobiles and their fumes. Not much fun when one is breathing hard!  :P

Anyway, spring looks very far away.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Hoy

« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2016, 05:46:34 PM »
Robert,

Yes, it is  creek from a lake near Myking (from Holmevatn ("Islet Lake") to Svartevatn ("Black Lake")). Fortunately although they use machines to make tracks we usually don't encounter any. The snowmobiles are only used for work, not for pleasure.

But surely you do not get astray with sutch autostradas:

« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 06:10:15 PM by Hoy »

Robert

« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2016, 03:15:21 AM »
Trond,

In the Sierra Nevada snowmobiles are used mostly for pleasure. On the weekend it can be very noisy and crowded. I have always gone out during the week when there are few people out in the woods. Years ago, I would ski into Wright's Lake and never come across anyone.  :)
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2016, 03:02:08 PM »

Ranunculus californicus - the first native wildflower to bloom this spring at our farm. This is a bit early in the season to see flowers with this species.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Hoy

« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2016, 05:23:19 PM »
Robert,

Is ranunulus californicus the typical spring flower at your place?
At home I would say it is Anemone nemorosa and at our summerhouse it is Hepatica nobilis.

Robert

« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2016, 03:15:24 AM »
Robert,

Is ranunulus californicus the typical spring flower at your place?
At home I would say it is Anemone nemorosa and at our summerhouse it is Hepatica nobilis.

Trond,

Yes, Ranunculus californicus is typical and often is the most abundant spring wildflower. Somewhere I have a photograph showing the savannah completely carpeted with this species in bloom on our farm property.

At our Sacramento home the landscape is carpeted with houses. I often wonder what the flora was like in this area 200 years ago.

Today it was 25 C, ugh! At least the weather is to cool and rain is predicted for Wednesday night.

I saw the first Dodecatheon hendersonii with open flowers today.  :)  I have been working on the identification of a mystery species that grows farther up the mountain - in a range between D. hendersonii and D. alpinum. The plant most closely resembles D. hendersonii and is it does not appear to be a hybrid. I have all three plants in the garden for careful observation, as well as various editions of Jepson and Munz (California Floras) to study very carefully. For me this is a fun and most interesting project.

More good news! I will be out doing some field botany tomorrow!  :)  The plan is to check on the North Fork of the Consumnes River near the village of Somerset, California. I hope this will turn out to be a most interesting outing. A report will be forthcoming a day or two afterwards.  :)

A sea of blooming Anemone nemorosa must be very beautiful. I happen to grow a few patched of this species here at the farm. I would like to see a large stand of Hepatica nobilis in bloom. This must be a most satisfying sight.

Enjoy your time at the cabin. Yes, I would love to join you in some cross-country skiing!  :)
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal