We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: 2016 - Robert's adventures in the Northern Sierra Nevada - California  (Read 108046 times)

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
Re: 2016 - Robert's adventures in the Northern Sierra Nevada - California
« Reply #225 on: April 24, 2016, 11:14:32 PM »
Part III
North-South Bald & Iron Mountain

From the Camp Creek site I hiked back to the truck and continued up the road toward Norht-South Bald and the upper Iron Mountain area.

Just beyond Flemming Meadow the road was lined with the blooming carpets of Ceanotheus prostratus. I some areas there where native Dogwoods in bloom, Cornus nuttallii.

The first stop was at North-South Bald. The base of this mountain is at 5,490 feet (1,673 meters). From this point it is a very short hike to the top of the bald, only .34 miles (.55 km).

This is a terrible photograph, however it represents a common sight at this elevation at this time of year, Viola purpurea blooming with Horkelia tridentata.

This bloom cycle for Viola purpurea has just started at this elevation. I am sure I will get better photographs next time around.

The Five Spot, Nemophila maculata, had started into bloom. This annual generally blooms for a considerable length of time. I find it very desirable as an ornamental and I have a few seedling established down at our Sacramento garden. I am hoping to get a small seed crop this year and to keep this line going in our garden.
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #226 on: April 24, 2016, 11:33:22 PM »

As I moved toward the top of the bald there where many Sanicula tuberosa in bloom any place where there was an opening in the trees and sufficient sunlight.

I very much enjoy this member of the Apiaceae family. So far I have not had any success establishing it in the garden. It is a very small plant and early bloomer, to me it could be a very good addition to our garden.

I quickly arrived at the top of the bald, elevation5,618 feet (1,712 meters). Three species of Eriogonum grow on the top of this bald. Pictured is E. wrightii ssp. subscaposum. The other two species at this site are E. nudum and E. umbellatum. Many of the Eriogonums looked in good condition, however even last year I noticed considerable drought stress on some of the plants.

Lupinus grayii yet to bloom. I know its identity from my previous trips to this site.  ;D  I do have seedlings of this species growing down at our Sacramento home. I am hoping that they will do well. It is a very pretty species both in flower and foliage.

I found Lewisia kelloggii growing and blooming at this site last year. I found a few in growth this day but with no flower buds.....yet.

Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #227 on: April 24, 2016, 11:50:02 PM »

One flower open on Amelanchier alnifolia at the summit of the bald.

Yet to bloom where huge colonies of Allium obtusum.

The round globes at ground level are the flower buds. The plants at this site have deep pink flowers and fit the description of variety conspicuum. In Jepson's it is said to be uncommon, however they are plentiful here.

As I left the bald and walked through the forest I found colonies of the Orchidaceae, Goodyera oblongifolia. The flowers are not much, however the foliage is nice. It is easy to please in any well drained, woodsy soil that is not keep too moist. It is very shade loving.

From North-South Bald I continued up the road until my progress was stopped by snow, elevation 6,680 feet (2,036 meters).
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 11:52:45 PM by Robert »
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #228 on: April 25, 2016, 12:07:27 AM »

I backed down the mountain a short distance where there was an excellent view of the Crystal Range, elevation 6,503 feet (1,982 meters).

Even at this elevation early spring was arriving.

Arctostaphylos patula in bloom, a pale pink form.

There were still patches of snow on the ground, however all the sunny areas were free of snow.

An early bloomer is the Apiaceae, Cymopterus terebinthinus. I find the foliage and flowers to be most attractive, however I have yet to try it in our garden.

In this area the Green Leaf Manzanita, Arctostaphylos patula, were a mix of both pale pink and deeper pink forms.  I enjoy them all.

Time had run out this day and now it was time to return home.

Next week I plan on checking on a low elevation site. There is still many species blooming in the lower foothills.

Until next time!  :)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 12:09:24 AM by Robert »
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #229 on: April 25, 2016, 11:58:29 AM »

.  .  .  .  .  .  .
From North-South Bald I continued up the road until my progress was stopped by snow, elevation 6,680 feet (2,036 meters).

Nobody takes the trouble to keep the road open in winter?

Some of the winter closed roads open in May and June after a tremendous amount of work :D
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Hoy

« Reply #230 on: April 25, 2016, 02:12:56 PM »
Robert,

What do you think about cold hardy Ceanothus species? I have tried a few which are available here but they don't last long.

Nice five spot and violet :)

Robert

« Reply #231 on: April 25, 2016, 03:40:13 PM »
Trond,

Yes, it is true, nobody keeps Iron Mountain Road open during the wintertime. The day I drove up there I saw a guy driving up the road with a trailer with boat in tow. I wonder how he got that thing turned around? There is nobody around to help for miles!

I like Nemophila maculata a lot. I have some blooming in a pot now at our Sacramento home. Hopefully they will set seed. If they do I will seed out a tub full next year for a much larger seed crop. From there I can play around with them in the garden and have some to share with others.

I have had some good success growing our California native Viola species. I have a pot full of Viola purpurea and V. douglasii seedlings that are doing extremely well from last year seed. As I can, I will report on how all of this is coming along. Same with the Mimulus thread. Things just got kinda messed up with my computer problems. I am still trying to get caught up.  :P   .....but things are coming along.  :)
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #232 on: April 26, 2016, 08:08:56 PM »

Trillium angustipetalum in bloom.

This plant was seen near Panther Creek on my outing to the North Fork of the Mokelomne River a few weeks ago.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #233 on: April 26, 2016, 08:34:43 PM »
A good name  :) and what a contrast between the dark, narrow petals and the large leaves.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Robert

« Reply #234 on: April 26, 2016, 09:06:29 PM »
The Trillium were growing with Dicentra formosa. Some had very dissected lacy leaves. I have never observed this before in a wild population. They seemed very interesting and well worth growing in a garden.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Hoy

« Reply #235 on: April 26, 2016, 09:55:41 PM »
In my opinion almost all the plants you how are garden worthy, Robert :)

Robert

« Reply #236 on: April 27, 2016, 02:24:01 PM »
Trond,

I have to admit that I will try just about anything in our garden. I do try to avoid the thugs!
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #237 on: April 28, 2016, 09:39:53 PM »

A very cloudy, overcast day yesterday, 27 April 2016. There were rain showers and thunderstorms at times. I did manage to visit 3 sites this day and will be posting photographs from 2 sites in the coming days.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #238 on: April 29, 2016, 07:35:03 PM »
Traverse Creek
&
Peg Leg Mine Road

Wednesday, 27 April 2016

Sacramento Weather: Rain Showers & Thunderstorms.
Temperature, High:71 F (21.5 C),  Low: 55 F (13 C).

Wednesday was a very busy day. I started the day by returning to the Flemming Meadow area to collect data on Polystichum imbricans spp. curtum. It was a short 1 mile (1.6 km) hike from the trail head down to the ferns, however this site is in central El Dorado County and I then had a bit of a drive to get to Traverse Creek.

We have had more or less average precipitation in El Dorado County this rainfall season and Traverse Creek has a good flow of water in it.

The weather turned very overcast and showery with gusting winds at times. This and cool temperatures made photography difficult for me. There was so much to see. Many areas were a riot of color with wildflowers blooming almost everywhere. This scene is dominated by blooming plants of Mimulus guttatus.

I was very surprised to find Lewisia rediviva still in bloom. This species is generally an early bloomer. There were still a fair number of plants in bloom, also many with ripening seed pods.

In some places it was almost impossible to walk without stepping on the Monkeyflowers, Mimulus guttatus. This species is quite easy to grow in the garden and has a long blooming cycle. This species tends to be a short lived perennial with summer irrigation. Otherwise, it is annual, drying up when the weather turns hot and dry.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #239 on: April 29, 2016, 07:56:09 PM »

Much of Traverse Creek area is dominated by Serpentine Rock. This limits the species that can grow when this rock is very dominant.

Sedella pumila is one species that grows well in the serpentine rock. It is a tiny species, however the bright yellow flowers do stand out.

In other areas dominated by the serpentine rock were large drifts of Linanthus dichotomus. There seems to be two forms of this species, one which opens its flowers with sunlight, and one that opens its flowers without the sun. I guess these were waiting for the sun. Nevertheless, they were still quite beautiful.

Here and there, I found blooming plants of Chaenactis glabriuscula. This species is an annual Asteraceae and can be very attractive both in flower and foliage. Another annual to test in the garden someday.

I was hoping to find Mimulus douglasii this day and hiked over to a site where I had seen them last year. I did not find Mimulus douglasii, however there when plenty of M. bicolor and M. guttatus in bloom.

The Mimulus bicolor grew in large sheets in the openings among shrubby species such as Ceanothus cuneatus and Quercus durata.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal