We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Embrace the slope?  (Read 7263 times)

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
Re: Embrace the slope?
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2016, 07:13:03 PM »
It looks like a perfect spot for a crevice garden  Tristan. I also like to start with very young seedlings, thanks to the teaching of Harvey Wrightman for planting in tufa, but surely they should establish better in any crevice garden.

Maggi did mention Ramonda on Cwm Idwal thread; I will add that Haberlea may also be one for your climate. It's drought resistant but here curls up its leaves in the summer no matter how much water it gets.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Tristan_He

« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2016, 10:58:39 PM »
As gardeners we like to grow as many plants that take our fancy but how often do we stop and consider the natural habitat of those plants. Perhaps more time should be spent on what kind of habitat the plant needs, even before buying. It is very disappointing to see the plants struggle to survive and eventually give up the fight. The plants requirements should be the main concern. What type of soil does it need, acid, alkali or neutral. Is it an upland plant, a woodland plant, does it need permanent moisture, seasonal drying, seasonal wetting? I, like many gardeners, like to grow as many plants as possible, in a very small garden. How often have I been left with so many plant labels in the ground resembling a graveyard of ex plants. I have tried to create a range of habitats but in a small space this is not always possible.  A dry stone wall is the nearest I have managed to a rock outcrop but if someone with muscles like popeye did the work I could supply the rocks.

Agree Ian. However I think we are quite good at some of these variables - pH for example is nearly always mentioned when discussing cultivation requirements, as is whether the plant likes sun or shade (though in my view there are quite a few different sorts of shade) and moisture requirements. However, other things are mentioned less often and the potential benefits of steeply sloping environments are one of these. Similarly I've seen quite a few examples of crevice gardens constructed 'on the flat' and whilst of course it's possible to grow alpines in these situations, many of the really good alpine locations are on steeply sloping or vertical cliffs. Obviously we can't all recreate these in our garden, but we can certainly exploit naturally sloping / 'difficult' terrain better rather than planting it up with ground cover.

I love wildflower meadows too Ian and am trying to manage part of the garden in this way. One of my favourite tools is my Austrian scythe!

Tristan_He

« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2016, 11:00:43 PM »
As an example - but nothing to do with a slope (sorry) I am excited to see a lot more bulbs self-sowing under trees in our lawn. The prospect of this as it develops over the next few years is enticing.

Yes Tim, bulbs are wonderful aren't they. I have hundreds of Chionodoxa sardensis seeding themselves under some goat willows which will look very fine in a few weeks.

Tristan_He

« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2016, 11:07:31 PM »
Maggi did mention Ramonda on Cwm Idwal thread; I will add that Haberlea may also be one for your climate. It's drought resistant but here curls up its leaves in the summer no matter how much water it gets.

I have one of the two Gabriela, but can't remember which! Planted last year and doing well in a shady corner but has not flowered yet - and no curling up either. One drawback of crevice gardening is that you have to shove the label into the crevice with the plant and then it's not so easy to read without disturbing the plant. I think it was Ramonda myconi though. I plan to try Haberlea at some stage and if I can get any seed or plants, Jankaea...

ian mcdonald

« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2016, 02:12:19 PM »
Tristan, Jankaea seed was available from Jelitto seeds. I bought some last year but with bank charges etc. it is not cheap. Worth a go once though. Don,t sneeze when opening the packet or you will not find the seed. I scattered mine in two small pots of compost and some on the tufa in the wall. Here.s hoping.

ian mcdonald

« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2016, 10:36:02 AM »
Haberlea rhodopensis in the wall,east facing. The roots will have made their way into the soil at the back of the wall. There used to be a good display at Cluny House, near Aberfeldy. The leaves of Haberlea are different to those of Ramonda. img. 1010172.

ian mcdonald

« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2016, 05:02:00 PM »
Slope gardening, mother natures way. Near Ben Lawers img. 262. another version img. 263. Don,t forget the water feature img.264. More native alpine pics. to follow on the IRG.

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2016, 06:54:35 PM »
Slope gardening, mother natures way...

Just how I like it!  :)
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

ian mcdonald

« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2016, 08:24:08 PM »
Jelitto have Jankaea seed on their 2016/17 list.

ian mcdonald

« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2016, 08:25:57 PM »
Gabriela, I wish my garden was measured in square miles instead of square yards. We can only dream.

Tristan_He

« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2016, 06:17:00 PM »
Jelitto have Jankaea seed on their 2016/17 list.

Thanks Ian, I've tried Jelitto in the past with mixed results. I've just seen that Eschmann offer plants and am contemplating whether to attempt these.. but they are 18 quid each!

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2016, 09:18:55 PM »
I grew Jancaea from seed (ex. Josef Halda) a long time ago using the same method as with fern spores and Ramonda - i.e: sterilised humus-rich, sandy compost in a propagating box with warmth in spring. Germination was really good and the trick then, as with ferns, is carefully pricking out and weaning on the tiny seedlings! I think viability of the seed is good (the same is true of other gesneriads and many fern spores) so the real skill comes later! Harry Jans obviously has great success with them self-seeding on tufa - as do Gothenberg(?) so sources of cultivated seed are available of this amazing plant. Looks like we should grow it again!
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal