We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Helleborus 2016  (Read 16272 times)

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
Re: Helleborus 2016
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2016, 09:36:01 PM »
Yann,

What an interesting and delightful selection of Helleborus. We have nothing like this in our area. We have kinda' light and very dark, with of few pinks in between. Nothing like what you have shown.  :)

Thank you for sharing the photographs. It is inspirational. I even went out in the rain to see how our Helleborus are doing. Very dormant! No sign of any growth at all. Our plants certainly react to our climatic conditions differently than yours.

We rarely get extremely cold here in our part of California, however in an average winter the plants behave as though the climate was much colder. But then plants survive... I just found a Rhododendron commonae that I left out in the frost. I know that it is one of the few "hardy" Vireya Rhododendrons but it seems very happy enduring what for it must be cold temperatures.
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Jeffnz

« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2016, 08:04:14 PM »
A selection of fantastic hellebores from all contributors.
Down under we are 4-5 months away from our flowering season but this summer I have had more than a few plants in bloom, mostly doubles.
A question, assuming I was starting from scratch and was looking for apricot shaded flowers what would the best parents to use ?
As a colour apricot is achieved by mixing yellow and red, there are now yellows that approach daffodil yellow but no true red hellebores. This may explain the absence of deep apricot shades, although there is a French nursery that seems to have bred a true apricot.
Hope someone can provide feedback. While I have some apricot shades they are always predominantly primrose as the main colour with a tingle of apricot which does intensify as the flowers age. 

WimB

• always digs deeper...
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2016, 07:43:35 AM »
Yann, I visited on monday and was once again astonished by the wonderfull variety of Hellebores he grows...he has become one of the (if not THE) best Hellebore hybridisers in Europe. I heard that he started many years ago with seeds and young plants from Maurice Vergote (the godfather of modern gardening in Belgium, he has educated a whole lot of nursery-men and women during the last half century in Belgium), who taught him what to cross to get new colours.

Anyhow: I brought the two below from him.
Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Flemish Rock Garden society (VRV): http://www.vrvforum.be/
Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

fleurbleue

• les Jardins des Grims
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2016, 08:40:17 AM »
Two beauties, Wim ;) I visited his nursery some years ago and I didn't know what I have to choose among all these nice forms and colours
Nicole, Sud Est France,  altitude 110 m    Zone 8

WimB

• always digs deeper...
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2016, 08:56:24 AM »
Two beauties, Wim ;) I visited his nursery some years ago and I didn't know what I have to choose among all these nice forms and colours

Yes, you feel like a kid in a candy shop   ;)
Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2016, 09:00:00 AM »
Yann and Wim, those are wonderful Hellebores!
Do you know if Thierry sells ever seeds?
Leena from south of Finland

WimB

• always digs deeper...
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2016, 09:34:27 AM »

I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think so. Maybe Yann will know for sure!
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2016, 03:09:45 PM »

Totally agree! All of them gorgeous.
Selling seeds  - It would be too good to be true...
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2016, 05:13:37 PM »
Yann - we need about fifty or sixty of those hellebores for this area we have just cleared under the apple trees! ;) I've seen some pictures on Facebook too, amazing range of colour and form. There are fine growers in Japan and N. America as well and a really good book on them published by Timber Press (Hellebores - A Comprehensive Guide, C. Colston Burrell & Judith Knott Tyler). Seed would be good but it still takes three or four years to get a strong flowering sized plant.
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2016, 05:15:47 PM »
(PS: would also like to grow some of their epimediums!!)
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Yann

• Journal Access Group
  • Growing and collecting plants since i was young
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2016, 07:19:53 PM »
Neither seeds nor seedlings are sold.
Tim if you wanna populate your woodland i think you should think up a nice budget ::)
If a few hybrids are of interest i can bring some pots to the next AGS show.

North of France

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2016, 09:33:38 PM »
I think you are right Yann! We will go slowly but I must try to cross the channel and visit the Delabroye nursery sometime - too much happens here in the spring though...

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2016, 06:57:11 PM »
This Welsh Nursery has some lovely hellebores - and I think they have some pretty seedlings for sale  from this sort of stock.... http://farmyardnurseries.co.uk/      Llandysul SA44 4RL

They had posted these photos on Facebook   "  bicoloured Hellebores... some to look forward to, available now as seedlings and seed, flowering plants next year  "

* fyn4.jpg (33.53 kB. 442x466 - viewed 57 times.)

Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

fleurbleue

• les Jardins des Grims
« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2016, 09:25:11 PM »
Desirable plants ;) I think I'll order seeds
Nicole, Sud Est France,  altitude 110 m    Zone 8

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2016, 02:10:58 AM »
Very beautiful. Thanks for posting Maggi. I don't know when you have time to take the tour on all these Facebook pages!  :) ???
I am trying to stay away.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal