We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: N romieuxii jacquemoudii taxonomy  (Read 1625 times)

Jack Meatcher

N romieuxii jacquemoudii taxonomy
« on: December 17, 2015, 11:10:23 AM »
From the 2012 AGS seed exchange, I sowed some N. romieuxii jacquemoudii seed. I was replacing the label and thought I'd find out a bit more about N R J. John Blanchard doesn't mention it in the N romieuxii section of his book. Bob Mitchell in January 2011 (on the internet) gives the opinion that N R J has N. bulbocodium characteristics, namely "stamens displayed within the corona".
Has the taxonomy of this plant been fully resolved and a clear name given or confirmed?

Jack

The Learner

Lewis Potter

• Go Fourth, Work Hard and Smile.
Re: N romieuxii jacquemoudii taxonomy
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2015, 06:30:33 PM »
All sources say that it is one of the three subspecies of N. romieuxii

'While serious growers can identify the differences between all of these plants, the Kew list (2010) accepts only three subspecies and the three varieties are reduced as synonyms, largely based on the DNA research by Zonneveld (2008).  She includes as the third subspecies the little known Narcissus romieuxii ssp. jacquemoudii named by Fernandes Casas in 1986.' http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~gdk/stabg_new/poms/2011/jan11pom.htm

The Plant List as shows it to be a sub-species, Narcissus jacquemoudii Fern.Casas is a synonym of Narcissus romieuxii subsp. jacquemoudii (Fern.Casas) Zonn. But The Plant List also says this name has low confidence in being correct, so I guess its the best you have got at the moment. http://www.theplantlist.org/tpl1.1/record/kew-282760.

Jack Meatcher

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2015, 07:01:13 PM »
Thanks Lewis. The resultant seedlings have yet to flower but at least I can call them something with some confidence in the meantime.

Jack
The Learner

Ray Cobb

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2015, 04:09:47 PM »
Attached is my photo of N. romieuxii jacquemondii It was collected some years ago I think by Michael Salmon near Amizmiz  in Morroco. The name is based on DNA work. I have not yet read the original paper and the only distinctive morphological features I can see are a reflexed edge to the corona and anthers only very slightly exserted.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2015, 04:35:38 PM »
Good to see one of the "legends" posting with us.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2015, 05:45:55 PM »

Narcissus jacquemoudii  Fern. Casas was first published in Fontqueria 10: 11 1986. 

Narcissus romieuxii jacquemoudii (Fern.Casas) Zonn.   came in 2008   in Pl. Syst. Evol. 275: 130

The systematic value of nuclear DNA content for all species of Narcissus L. (Amaryllidaceae)- B.J.M. Zonneveld :
http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00606-008-0015-1/fulltext.html
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal