We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: BLHEG 2016  (Read 13912 times)

Josh Nelson

Re: BLHEG 2016
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2016, 09:25:21 PM »
Is Glenorma the biggest plicatus so far?  Here is a byzantinus selection from last year with 45mm outers - I didn't measure height alas but have note that leaves were 20cm x 2cm.  Measured 03 March 2015; photo of whole plant on 10 March few days after potting up.  Looks to be bulking up well this year and likely to be earlier in flower (as with many others of course!)

Josh Nelson

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2016, 12:50:38 AM »
Here's a shot of the inside of the byzantinus above showing its long, narrow outers - bit like Wasp on steroids!

Tim Harberd

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2016, 03:21:21 PM »
Hi Josh,
   Thanks for your contributions. For now, I've logged the cultivar as G.p.byzantinus selectJN. Do let me know if there is a more useful label for it! I've logged your figures against last year.. and I await an update with interest!

Regarding the height measurement, I just plonk the bottom of the ruler on the soil, and read off how high the top of the ovary is. It's a fairly rough measure to the nearest centimetre!

I've just been out to measure the first flower of Glenorma. It looks rather sad under the leaden grey sky, so I attach a photo from three days ago.

The measurements (39mm, 20cm) are NOT a fair comparison, because with MrsM I had dozens of flowers to choose from. Does anyone want to post better Stats for Glenorma?

There are three more buds coming on mine, and one is a double header! Given that last year this bulb produced two leaves and one flower I reckon that's an impressive rate of increase. If it does the same again I might have dozens of flowers to choose from next year!!

Tim DH

Josh Nelson

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2016, 11:44:16 PM »
Thanks Tim, not got any better label yet - waiting to see how it does this year. 

Good to see Glenorma and that it's vigorous with you - definitely on the list!

I got Wessex Titan from Paul Barney in December and it is already looking like it is going to be on the large size (45mm outers according to the Edulis list); looks like it will be a big plant too.  Not sure if anyone grows it - the list said it was new this year?  I'll measure and post mine at the appropriate time - it is coming on well in the mild weather

Tim Harberd

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2016, 01:37:38 PM »
Hi Josh,
   Thanks for the tip-off about 'Wessex Titan', one I've not heard of. Using the SRGC search facility, I don't think its come up on here before. The picture on the Edulis website looks good… and the references to its scent are a bonus.
   Looks like the double header on my Glenorma has been nibbled by a slug.. taking off the tip of both flowers. I go out EVERY night with a head torch & scissors. One session yielded over 200 kills. To be honest I'm currently more concerned about the daffodil damage. The forecast says we might get a frost on Friday.

Tim DH

scatigaz

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2016, 08:09:45 AM »
Bought Wessex Titan from Paul. It arrived yesterday. It's certainly a biggie and can't wait for it to flower.
gary lee

Josh Nelson

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2016, 09:15:39 PM »
Shame about the Glenorma Tim - slugs can be a right pain.... I also do a head torch round (although I probably need to step up the frequency from now on) - the slugs (and snails) usually end up with the problem weeds in the bin the council takes for green waste; hopefully they'll be getting recycled as compost!

freddyvl

« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2016, 12:31:25 PM »
Tim, update Glenorma: (P)45mm, (H)30cm today in our open garden.

Hagen Engelmann

• treuer Schneeglöckchenfreund
    • http://www.engelmannii.de
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2016, 06:19:30 PM »
I would like the giant drops too.
But sorry, I only have a small greenhouse.
So I prefer Gn! ;)
Hagen Engelmann Brandenburg/Germany (80m) http://www.engelmannii.de]

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2016, 10:55:55 AM »
Leena was enquiring (on the Green Mile thread) what the biggest Green snowdrop might be. Chantry Green Twins is the only other obvious contender on the list so far.

Thanks Tim! :)
My next question is about 'Glenorma' and 'Glenchantress'. How are they different in size and otherwise? There has been close ups of flowers in the forum but I would like to know more about them and which one do you prefer if you bought only one?
Leena from south of Finland

Tim Harberd

« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2016, 01:08:11 PM »
Hi freddyvl,
   Thanks for the Glenorma figures…. Much better than mine! I (naturally) planted my bulb in what I judged to be a favoured spot… but maybe its a bit on the dry side…..

Hi Leena,
   How shall I put this?….. As someone who is quite happy to leave the growing of the aberrant green outered forms to others (sorry Hagen!) My choice is easy!!
   If this particular mutation appeals to you, then 'Big Boy' is a cultivar I have seen referred to as having flowers up to 48mm long. I don't know if that includes the ovary.

Tim DH

Josh Nelson

« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2016, 09:26:48 PM »
I am growing 'Big Boy' this year for the first time but guess it will be next year before it gets to full size, although the bulb is quite large. 

Here's a shot in the meantime of G. elwesii 'Wessex Titan' from a few days ago - doing well and looking like it will be a very large plant.

Tim Harberd

« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2016, 04:00:42 PM »
After a long pause here, the next large flower is finally out:

'Bertram Anderson', a little smaller than last year (P 36mm H 22cm), but nice and chunky. Not a good doer with me… 2 flowers in its first year, 5 flowers in its third. However I would guess its the cheapest cultivar on this list!

Tim DH

Josh Nelson

« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2016, 09:28:14 PM »
Thanks Tim! :)
My next question is about 'Glenorma' and 'Glenchantress'. How are they different in size and otherwise? There has been close ups of flowers in the forum but I would like to know more about them and which one do you prefer if you bought only one?
Leena, Glenorma is a plicatus with very long clawed, substantial, slightly puckered outers with a an upside down Y shape sinus mark with two small dots above nearer the base.  Glenchantress has green marks near the apex of the outers, nearly full dark green inners and is an elwesii or a hybrid with characteristics closest to elwesii.  They are therefore very different.

I have Glenorma but not Glenchantress (although I am hoping to get it in the summer).  My Glenorma measured 45mm for the outers at the weekend when I picked it up at the Myddleton snowdrop sale; Glenchantress has sizeable flowers but is not on the scale of Glenorma.

I prefer plicatus to elwesii so would choose Glenorma if I was going to choose one but many would disagree I'm sure!  Both are expensive still though.

Josh Nelson

« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2016, 09:39:02 PM »
Tim, I picked up Glenorma at Myddleton and measured the outers of the larger flower at 45mm (it has subsequently gone over); the scape to top of ovary was in the order of 28.5 cm (less than figures already supplied this season).

I was also given Rev Hailstone a couple of weeks back or so and the largest flower had outers at 40mm (again shortly before going over); the scape is now about 38cm but think it was closer to 34cm when I measured the flower (although I didn't record it then; I also don't know if it had been in open ground or tunnel).

I also picked up Two Eyes, the outers of which were 39mm; the scape was very long (c37cm or so) but I know it had been in a tunnel so was likely drawn out a bit.

Glenorma below:

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal