We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Is Hepatica nobilis var. glabrata actually completely hairless?  (Read 3419 times)

Peppa

• Always diggin'! :)
    • My Garden Blog
Is Hepatica nobilis var. glabrata actually completely hairless?
« on: January 11, 2016, 12:05:09 AM »
I completely forgot that I planted this plant four years ago in my garden and I am wondering if it is actually H. nobilis var. glabrata...  ::)

My plant came from my friend who purchased the seed directly from the late Severin Schlyter and I think my plant was seed from a plant raised from that original seed.

Anyway, it is very slow-growing, which matches the glabrata description, and the flower is white. But I can see some peach fuzz on the stems! How hairless is glabrata actually? 
Peppa

From the beautiful Pacific Northwest, USA,
where summer is mild and dry
but winter is dark and very wet...
USDA Zone 7b or 8 (depends on the year)
http://seattlepuppy.blog82.fc2.com

Gunilla

Re: Is Hepatica nobilis var. glabrata actually completely hairless?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 07:42:23 AM »
It has been snowing all night so I can't check my old plants now. The plants I grow are small and slow-growing with light green stems and leaves and white flowers.
 I did find some photos of seedlings.  The stems are as far as I can see smooth and hairless.

H. nobilis var. glabrata seedling.
Seedlings in a pot.  H. nobilis var. glabrata and H. nobilis.

Gunilla   Ekeby in the south of Sweden

Peppa

• Always diggin'! :)
    • My Garden Blog
Re: Is Hepatica nobilis var. glabrata actually completely hairless?
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 07:28:25 PM »
It has been snowing all night so I can't check my old plants now. The plants I grow are small and slow-growing with light green stems and leaves and white flowers.
 I did find some photos of seedlings.  The stems are as far as I can see smooth and hairless.

H. nobilis var. glabrata seedling.
Seedlings in a pot.  H. nobilis var. glabrata and H. nobilis.

Thanks for the pictures, Gunilla! The second one is a great comparison. I can see no hair on your H. nobilis var. glabrata and the stems are much smoother than those on my plant. I guess my plant needs a good waxing treatment for hair removal... ;D
Peppa

From the beautiful Pacific Northwest, USA,
where summer is mild and dry
but winter is dark and very wet...
USDA Zone 7b or 8 (depends on the year)
http://seattlepuppy.blog82.fc2.com

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal