We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Cruelty to Plants  (Read 2308 times)

Roma

Cruelty to Plants
« on: November 25, 2015, 08:41:57 PM »
I was horrified in Dobbies today to see some beautiful well grown Echeverias all sprayed different colours :o  Another batch looked nice with a white bloom on the leaves but the labels said they glowed in the dark so goodness knows what they were sprayed with.   I thought artificial flowers stuck in cacti was bad enough.  They also had bright blue (dyed) Phalaenopsis >:( 
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

Graeme

Re: Cruelty to Plants
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2015, 08:48:39 PM »
and the small pines sprayed with snow and glitter - who buys these things................
"Never believe anything you read on the Internet" Oscar Wilde

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2015, 08:57:58 PM »
There's a lot of this cruelty around  - Bobby Ward from North Carolina  shared this pic of poinsettias  he saw locally  .....

Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

TC

• Roving Reporter
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2015, 09:46:27 PM »
Roma

Yes we have seen them in our local Dobbies in Ayr.  The hideous blue Phalaenopsis appeared about 14 days ago.  However, it appears that they have not sold any in that period.  Who thinks that these things are a good idea.  Dyed heather plants in garish colours seem to be de rigeur from the purchasing dept.
I just wonder if it is someone in Tesco's HQ with no gardening experience who sources these monstrosities.
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

meanie

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2015, 11:27:11 AM »
All these messed about with plants are hideous in my opinion but the "blue" Phals really do take the biscuit.

Another batch looked nice with a white bloom on the leaves but the labels said they glowed in the dark so goodness knows what they were sprayed with.
I have an Echeveria cante that has a whiteish bloom on the leaves but that doesn't glow in the dark. Some info on E.cante.............

http://www.llifle.com/Encyclopedia/SUCCULENTS/Family/Crassulaceae/22248/Echeveria_cante
West Oxon where it gets cold!

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2016, 02:12:42 PM »
x Pachyveria & Aptenia on 23 November 2016, cuttings were taken a month ago but the remaining plants are still quite unfazed by the weather.  The small Aptenias were planted in May as 2 10cm pots and seem to have enjoyed the summer.

john - +3c at 10am
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal