We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: NARGS 2016 Conference  (Read 17461 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
NARGS 2016 Conference
« on: November 23, 2015, 07:25:25 PM »
Stuck what to do for your holidays? Like somewhere warm? Well here's a suggestion. Between 22 and 27 June 2016 the annual NARGS Conference will be held in Steamboat Springs, Colorado hosted by The Rocky Mountain Chapter. A chance to explore  North Western Colorado in prime wildflower season with hikes and trips to steppe, montane and alpine plant communities.

Tours of both Denver Botanic Gardens and Yampa River Botanic Park. Book sales and signings.

Could you ask for more??????!!!!!

510108-0
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 07:30:59 PM by Maggi Young »
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: NARGS 2016 Conference
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 07:31:38 PM »
NARGS Annual Meeting: Steppe to Alpine
Steamboat Springs, Colorado - June 23-27th 2016

Steamboat Springs will offer NARGS members a chance to see a beautiful and less famous side of Colorado in what Mike Kintgen describes as a botanical paradise of contrasting habitats. Most of the hikes and trips will focus on elevations ranging from the rich and varied steppe flora up to the interesting montane and subalpine areas (depending on snow cover).

The meeting will convene in Denver on June 22 and and picks up the afternoon of the 23rd in Steamboat Springs 170 miles to the northwest.

Please see Mike Kintgen's article "Steamboat Springs and the Northern Colorado Rockies" in the Summer 2015 Rock Garden Quarterly for a description of the floristic areas surrounding Steamboat Springs and what attendees may hope to see when they attend the meeting.

More details will be posted as they are available. Registration for the meeting will commence early in 2016.

Delphinium nuttallianum pictured in June - you could be seeing this! 

« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 07:34:36 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

brianw

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2015, 11:51:39 PM »
In view of the cost and distance, to get the most benefit from this conference for non N. Americans, I suggest you base a longer visit around it.

I have attended 2 of these conferences; 1 in Ottawa, and the other at Snowbird in Utah. Both I have attended with friends, adding exploration trips before and after. This also extends the season, as we all know getting the flowering time right is difficult. In Ottawa the cypripedium were hardly in flower for the conference trip, but a week or so later backtracking on a Greentours route through Ontario I saw many hundreds. The Utah conference I went out early, Snowbird alpine flowering timing was perfect, the conference included a 3 day trip, in my case to S. Wyoming, not far north of where the 2015 trip is based, and then an optional post conference trip to N. Wyoming, where we were a too late for Aquilegia jonesii flowers but saw many others.

I have been lucky with weather, and not had to hire my own transport on these 2 trips, but have done on other visits without any problems. You will have to join Nargs, for at least a year, to take part in the conference, and it gives you another seed exchange too.
Edge of Chiltern hills, 25 miles west of London, England

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2015, 02:41:49 PM »
A note from NARGS : It costs non-members more than members to register   ...  and if you are a non-member, you get membership as part of your package! Of course some people will not want the journal or Seedex, so they can opt for "do not send" for the journal.

See some more photos from the area : https://www.nargs.org/2016-annual-general-meeting-steamboat-springs-colorado
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 03:59:29 PM by Maggi Young »

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2015, 04:16:51 PM »
I'm told  that the winter issue of the NARGS  Rock Garden Quarterly is a special "Northwest Colorado" issue with seven articles about the flora of the area. (Projected mail date of Dec. 16, 2015.) 

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2015, 12:34:26 PM »
We visited Steamboat Springs in 1999 and made a point of seeking out the Yampa River Botanic Gardens' rock garden which was newly planted - it would be interesting to see it again.
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

astragalus

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2015, 06:43:36 PM »
In view of the cost and distance, to get the most benefit from this conference for non N. Americans, I suggest you base a longer visit around it.

I have attended 2 of these conferences; 1 in Ottawa, and the other at Snowbird in Utah. Both I have attended with friends, adding exploration trips before and after. This also extends the season, as we all know getting the flowering time right is difficult. In Ottawa the cypripedium were hardly in flower for the conference trip, but a week or so later backtracking on a Greentours route through Ontario I saw many hundreds. The Utah conference I went out early, Snowbird alpine flowering timing was perfect, the conference included a 3 day trip, in my case to S. Wyoming, not far north of where the 2015 trip is based, and then an optional post conference trip to N. Wyoming, where we were a too late for Aquilegia jonesii flowers but saw many others.

I have been lucky with weather, and not had to hire my own transport on these 2 trips, but have done on other visits without any problems. You will have to join Nargs, for at least a year, to take part in the conference, and it gives you another seed exchange too.

We must have met because I was one of the guides for the Wyoming part of the Conference.  Hope you sawe the Eritrichium in bloom, not to mention some special astragali.
Steep, rocky and cold in the
Hudson River Valley in New York State

brianw

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2015, 09:02:13 PM »
Hi
You mean this one
510912-0
I am the one on the LHS with the blue hat here
510898-1
in the Bighorns.
In the Snowys there were 2 Brits together.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 04:58:46 PM by brianw »

astragalus

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2015, 03:13:58 PM »
Nope, not that one.  My husband and I were guides in the Snowy Range.  Sorry you missed that one.
Steep, rocky and cold in the
Hudson River Valley in New York State

brianw

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2015, 05:09:00 PM »
Sorry don't have a group photo for the Snowys. Enjoyed the natural hot springs bath there before breakfast in the teepees on the "hotel" lawn, and the deer wandering through the grounds while we were chatting in the evenings in the marquee. Hot swimming pool an acquired taste?
The flowers on the trips out were great too. Snow melt Erythroniums, gentians, Moneses .....
Thought of an after conference trip back there if I come next year.

(altered my previous post photo, apologies)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2016, 03:50:33 PM »
News from NARGS  :  "Online registration for the Steamboat Springs Conference  has been delayed until Jan 13. Feel free to use the mail in regestration for in the quarterly in the mean time."

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2016, 01:33:00 PM »
More News  from NARGS  - from today's date .... "  At this point in time the Post Conference Trip to Wyoming has filled. Stay tuned for more detail on a waiting list and other details."

Julia

• Journal Access Group
  • Past SRGC President
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2016, 04:32:11 PM »
Hi Maggi
the Registration form has still not gone live :-\
I'm hoping to go but only if I can get on the post conference tour  :)
Julia Corden
Head Gardener Goodwood Estate

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2016, 04:45:28 PM »
 Their Facebook page says the online booking should go live today - 13th - but bear in mind the time difference - their day is just starting!
They have a mail-in form on the site now it seems, if you haven't got the paper  version - but I can't find it. 

Julia

• Journal Access Group
  • Past SRGC President
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2016, 04:47:51 PM »
Hi Maggi Date has just changed on the Registration Page - "Registration Form scheduled to go live on 16 January"   :'(
Julia Corden
Head Gardener Goodwood Estate

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal