We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: N. minor ssp asturiensis  (Read 1315 times)

Jack Meatcher

N. minor ssp asturiensis
« on: November 18, 2015, 06:40:58 PM »
For several years, I have been trying to grow and flower specimens of N. minor ssp asturiensis. I have bought flowering plants labeled as N. asturiensis at shows and have grown some plants from seed. My "specification" is the description given in John Blanchard's book and uses the characteristics of waisted corona and green leaves. The plants I've grown from seed haven't flowered yet (flowers expected Spring 2016) but do have green leaves. All the flowering plants I have bought have somewhat glaucous leaves. Some of these plants have waisted coronas to the flowers but others don't have that pronounced waisting. The seed was ex JJA and JA.
So, are these glaucous leaved plants not actually asturiensis but N. minor or other sub-species of N. minor?
Wisley have a plant with glaucous leaves and waisted corona labelled as N. asturiensis.
Does the N. minor group naturally hybridise so it's difficult to find a "pure" John Blanchard specimen? Would DNA analysis enable one to separate the various forms of N. minor?

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Jack

The Learner

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Re: N. minor ssp asturiensis
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2015, 06:54:15 PM »
Jack, I'm pretty sure we have discussed this before on The Forum. May be useful to do a search.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Jack Meatcher

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2015, 06:47:12 AM »
David,

Thanks for that reminder. I had a feeling I had raised it before but that the result was inconclusive. I did do a search as you suggested and looked at quite a lot of images. Plenty of waisted coronas but many more glaucous leaves than green. Jenny Archibald reckons my specimens from seed she gave me 2 1/2 years ago should flower in 2016. I know the leaves will be dark green so it's down to the corona shape.
I reposted the subject in case knowledge had moved on. Apologies for my obsession. Its origin is in the 1960s.

Jack
The Learner

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2015, 10:33:37 AM »
Memo to self - find time for that half corona.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal