We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: 19th C plantings of Herbertia lahue in NSW Australia  (Read 860 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
19th C plantings of Herbertia lahue in NSW Australia
« on: November 13, 2015, 07:23:45 PM »
19th C plantings of Herbertia lahue in NSW Australia

Hello,

By way of introduction I am the curator for Rouse Hill House and Elizabeth Farm, with Sydney Living Museums.
At Rouse Hill we have a large number of Herbertia lahue growing across a paddock, which likely seeded from the nearby 19th century garden and naturalised.
I am researching their history, and wonder if they could have been acquired as H. pulchella which I understand they were sometimes confused with. This means that references in 19th century lists could actually be for H. lahue.

I wonder  whether any of your members had a particular interest in the history of the introduction of bulbs to NSW and might have any insights, that you could put me in touch with? Also as to the early nomenclature of this species and whether it may have been sold as H. pulchella

Kind regards,

Scott Hill

Curator
Rouse Hill House & Farm, Elizabeth Farm and Meroogal

http://sydneylivingmuseums.com.au/

edit to add Scott's photos of the plant in question

509472-0

509474-1
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 07:32:42 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal