We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Will named varieties of Anemone nemorosa come true from seed?  (Read 1115 times)

Robert Pavlis

• Garden Myths
Will named varieties of Anemone nemorosa come true from seed?
« on: November 26, 2015, 11:58:38 PM »
Past seed lists have various named clones available, so I was wondering what can be expected from this seed?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 10:42:17 AM by Maggi Young »
Robert, Guelph, Ont Canada, zone 5
Author of http://www.gardenmyths.com/
Owner of Aspen Grove Gardens

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Will named varieties of Anemone nemorosa come true from seed?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2015, 10:58:25 AM »
I've no experience of this - but I'd expect (hope??!!) that at least a few offspring might come true - but I wouldn't expect  a great result.
 Personally, I am surprised that seed from named cultivars would ever have been listed  in any other way than  "ex" - which I think was the intended implication.  :-\

The latest Seed List from SRGC is being mailed out to members now , so should arrive soon -  online ordering will be enabled next week - possibly Tuesday 1st December - watch for the announcement in the main website seed section!
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 11:00:04 AM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

wooden shoe

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2015, 08:10:35 PM »
I think you will have a chance that you will find some new varieties in your seedlings. Maybe some ugly, but some will look similar or even look better than the parent and some will look like the wild type.
After a few generations I expect they all tend to get closer to the wild type. I grow both the wild type and "robinsoniana" but the seedlings are the wild type, but these are open polinated. Maybe you are lucky and have varieties with a stable genetic variation.

As for the seedlists, I hope they will soon be published on the web so not only UK members can have a look on the without doubt impressive list, but I do not mind if the ordering will be later.
Rob - central Nederland Zone 7b

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2015, 08:30:02 PM »
SRGC seedlist was just posted out to UK members today, I think. The overseas ones are already in the post.  I will ask if the  list can be posted for browsing in advance.

wooden shoe

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2015, 08:33:33 PM »
That would be great, thanks for asking Maggi!
Rob - central Nederland Zone 7b

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2015, 08:56:00 PM »
The SRGC seedlist No 69 is now online for  you to browse - no ordering is possible yet : see here : http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=13321.msg345531#msg345531

Carlo

• BirdMan and Botanical Blogger
    • BotanicalGardening.com
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2015, 04:20:38 PM »
Technically named cultivars will only come true from vegetative reproduction--and should only carry the name forward if they are produced in such a manner. The production of seed involves the mixing of genes and is likely to result in a diversity of outcomes. Some may come close the the appearance of the cultivar, but should still not be tagged with the cultivar's name.

Not coincidentally this is the reason that nurseries are often offering plants that don't live up to the cultivar's description.
Carlo A. Balistrieri
Vice President
The Garden Conservancy
Zone 6

Twitter: @botanicalgarden
Visit: www.botanicalgardening.com and its BGBlog, http://botanicalgardening.com/serendipity/index.php

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal