We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Veratrum formosanum from seed  (Read 1003 times)

P. Kohn

Veratrum formosanum from seed
« on: November 01, 2015, 04:11:03 PM »
I've just harvested seed of Veratrum formosanum.  Most of my usual refernce works suggest that seed can be sown at any time but I just found advice on the internet suggeting that seed of Veratrum nigrum needs to be sown fresh. I'm going to play safe and sow a pot straightaway and tuck it in the shady frame along with the monocarpic meconopsis which I sowed a few days ago. I should have spare seed if anyone wants to try. I bought the parent plant from Andrew Ward at Norwell with the advice that V. formosanum was unusual in reaching flowering size quite quickly unlike other members of the genus. I should have a little more spare seed if anyone is interested in giving it a try. Does anyone out there have experience of raising any of the veratrumsfrom seed.

Growild

• Growild Nursery
Re: Veratrum formosanum from seed
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2015, 06:23:00 PM »
I've raised quite a few species from seed with ease from fresh seed from a friend. I've always left pots overwinter in cold frames as I think they do need a chill to germinate. I've transplanted in their second year when they are dormant ... but although I've had success with seedlings, once planted out they have been destroyed very quickly by slugs  :(

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal