We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Discussion Weekend 2016  (Read 20124 times)

Stan da Prato

• Snapper Stan
Re: Discussion Weekend 2016
« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2016, 06:44:04 PM »
nearing  end of open section

Stan da Prato

• Snapper Stan
« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2016, 06:46:26 PM »
two plants  from  RBGE then section 2
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 06:58:04 PM by Stan da Prato »

DaveM

• Doctor Rock
« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2016, 06:51:02 PM »
For me the most interesting and rarely seen plant in the show was Gentiana melandriifolia, shown by Roma Fiddes. I've not seen this in cultivation before, though I have seen it in the wild. I don't have an image of Roma's well flowered plant and hope that someone will post one. This gentian is native to Yunnan in SW China and I saw it in the Cang Shan, above the town of Dali. Here's some pix of this in the wild - another of the fabulous autumn gentian which deserves to be better known.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 06:56:13 PM by DaveM »
Dave Millward, East Lothian, Scotland

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #48 on: October 17, 2016, 06:57:13 PM »
Super looking show, even without a Forrest. 
Glad all went well and you're pleased too, David!

Pretty good going for those nice Livermores - good of them to support the show so well and get rewarded for it too!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Stan da Prato

• Snapper Stan
« Reply #49 on: October 17, 2016, 07:00:00 PM »
For me the most interesting and rarely seen plant in the show was Gentiana melandriifolia, shown by Roma Fiddes. I've not seen this in cultivation before, though I have seen it in the wild. I don't have an image of Roma's well flowered plant and hope that someone will post one.
One is a few photos  back in the group of three not for competition gentians though we could do with a close up.

Stan da Prato

• Snapper Stan
« Reply #50 on: October 17, 2016, 07:26:12 PM »
Matt has already posted his winning pic for the Reivers trophy. He was also an entrant  to the holiday photo competition  with two very talented couples  the Livermores and the McCaugheys. Hand held  snaps do not do justice  to these pictures but  do give a flavour of them for anyone  not at the show.

Stan da Prato

• Snapper Stan
« Reply #51 on: October 17, 2016, 07:27:51 PM »
and the others

Stan da Prato

• Snapper Stan
« Reply #52 on: October 17, 2016, 07:30:47 PM »
nurseries and the club stand

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #53 on: October 17, 2016, 07:41:17 PM »
Just settling in to the usual routine after a first class weekend in Peebles at the DWE.

Hotel excellent; food excellent; facilities excellent; organisation excellent; speakers excellent and Dave Millward and the team are to be congratulated on a first class job.

Of course it's great to re-meet with friends made at last years DWE as well as to make new ones but the important point to me is that regardless of it being your first visit or umpteenth you are welcomed, enveloped and included. That is the SRGC.

Personal highlights for me were to meet, for the first time, Anton Edwards (Editor of The Rock Garden) and Christine Boulby (Subscription Secretary) both of whom I have worked closely with for some years in my role as Advertising Manager. Good to meet too Dave Millward for the first time and splendid to chat with Lionel Clarkson and Alan Furness two giants of the Showing world. Having utterly and completely fallen for Bette Ivey last year it was lovely to see her again (and to be reminded that we had a 'date') and also to sit at Jean Whyllie's left hand (Matt Topsfield had the right one) at the Conference dinner.

All of the Speakers were first class and really on top of their game and Mike didn't have to nudge me in the ribs once. It's probably unfair on all of them to name my highlights but our own Anne Speigel (Astragalus) really went down a storm. I think the member's wondered how such a petite young lady could move mountains with a minimum of help and grow some of the most challenging plants in the World. It was a fantastic talk and boy does she know how to time a joke. Have a good flight home Anne and I hope Joe gets the rust off his clubs! I must mention also John Massey. I don't think I have ever laughed so hard and for so long as I did on Sunday morning at his talk 'The World of Hellebores'. His experience, skill and knowledge about this group of plants is legendary and that came out in spades but it was the asides, and there were many asides. Surely not all those were scripted, they couldn't be, no-ones mind works like that! From camouflage trousers to a huge Pinus (think about it!) he had us roaring.

I agree with Cliff as far as the wine prices are concerned (but they always are in Hotels aren't they?), £19.50 for a couple of large glasses of not excessively good Sauvignon Blanc, only eased somewhat later in the evening by finding that a couple of double Malts wighed in at 50p cheaper. No contest from then on.

So, to sum, if next year's is only half as good it will be a cracker.

Missed you both I & M.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Stan da Prato

• Snapper Stan
« Reply #54 on: October 17, 2016, 07:46:42 PM »
people and plants

Stan da Prato

• Snapper Stan
« Reply #55 on: October 17, 2016, 07:47:58 PM »
more

Stan da Prato

• Snapper Stan
« Reply #56 on: October 17, 2016, 08:11:09 PM »
around the weekend

Stan da Prato

• Snapper Stan
« Reply #57 on: October 17, 2016, 08:15:12 PM »
and more

Stan da Prato

• Snapper Stan
« Reply #58 on: October 17, 2016, 08:16:51 PM »
and to finish

Roma

« Reply #59 on: October 17, 2016, 08:41:24 PM »
Thanks very much for the pictures, Stan.  I was very disappointed not to be able to come.  Nice to see the plants and people enjoying themselves. 
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal