We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: What happened to these?  (Read 7301 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Re: What happened to these?
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2008, 09:58:09 AM »
Couldn't SRGC publish it, doing so would fit in well with the aims and objectives? Could be worth exploring further.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

David Shaw

• SRGC Publications Manager
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2008, 04:07:44 PM »
David, book publishing is a special skill and not a project to be undertaken lightly. Publishing and promoting a mongraph like this would take a lot of time and effort for a small company. The SRGC does have one person capable of undertaking the task but I don't think that she is in the least bit interested. To be frankly honest, if a company like Timber Press are not interested, then the probability is that the book is not very saleable.
David Shaw, Forres, Moray, Scotland

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2008, 05:27:34 PM »
Couldn't SRGC publish it, doing so would fit in well with the aims and objectives? Could be worth exploring further.

OK 'twas just a thought.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Gerry Webster

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2008, 09:29:55 PM »
I'm afraid David Shaw is right. Times have changed since 1982 & even with its beautiful colour plates, I doubt that BM's monograph would find a publisher today. Twenty or thirty years ago publishers could rely on substantial sales to institutional libraries of monographs but these days  such libraries don't have the funds for unnecessary or  "luxury" purchases.  Glossy picturebooks which sell to the general public are what publishers want now, not scholarly monographs. 
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2008, 09:34:56 PM »
Thats not so bad - I can contribute a bit to a glossy picture-book - just need to piggy-back the important stuff in from Germany without the publishers noticing.  A bit like The Great Escape - only hopefully the success rate will be higher :-\

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2008, 10:23:31 PM »
There is always the option of a CD/DVD book
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2008, 10:53:48 AM »
Thats not so bad - I can contribute a bit to a glossy picture-book - just need to piggy-back the important stuff in from Germany without the publishers noticing.  A bit like The Great Escape - only hopefully the success rate will be higher :-\

Go for it Tony.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal