We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Haworthia  (Read 1670 times)

Rogan

• Beetle daisy
Haworthia
« on: September 27, 2015, 07:56:15 AM »
This is such a pretty arrangement and it looks contrived but, it's not! At least, I don't think so... I found this specimen of Haworthia mirabilis in it's nest on a remote hillside, not too far from my home. It is a common species in this area.  :D
Rogan Roth, near Swellendam, Western Cape, SA
Warm temperate climate - zone 10-ish

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
Re: Haworthia
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 05:04:48 AM »
Very interesting!

The "nest" does not look like it has been in use for a very, very long time. In your part of the world who would build such a rock "nest"? A bird? A reptile? The wind or water? Bushmen - for fire? I know next to nothing about South Africa. Like California it seems the climate and flora can be very complex depending on where one is.?

Thank you for sharing!
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Rogan

• Beetle daisy
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 12:31:21 PM »
This nest of rocks is purely coincidence I think, or perhaps a concerned nature-lover came by and placed these rocks around this plant to protect it - an unlikely scenario as there are dozens of other plants, equally as choice, in the neighborhood.

This is a really beautiful part of the Western Cape: lofty mountain ranges - the Langeberg in the middle distance, and the rolling hills and valleys of the Agulhas plain to the south. The prominent gash in the mountains is the Tradouw Pass, a gateway to the Little Karoo which you can see through the gap in the distance - the mountains in the background being the Warmwaterberg. Haworthia mirabilis grows here and there on the hills in the foreground.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 02:23:48 PM »
That scene paints an instant picture of the beauty of the area, Rogan.  What a place to live!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Rogan

• Beetle daisy
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2015, 06:11:57 PM »
I thank my lucky stars every day, Maggi - it really is breathtaking. 8)

Robert

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2015, 04:46:32 PM »
Rogan,

I appreciate very much your postings from South Africa. Such a beautiful country.. and beautiful and amazing plants. I hope that you do not mind me asking questions from time-to-time. The climate here in California seems very similar to that of South Africa i.e. extremely variable depending on where you are. I am fascinated with South African plants but have much to learn, thus questions.

From other postings I can see that we have a similar situation here in California - much of the native flora is often confined to a strip on both sides of the road between the fence-line and the spray zone next to the road. I am grateful to find our California native plants in this zone, however it is also very sad for me as I wonder what things were like before all the development, both agricultural an other (ranching, housing development etc.).

Thank you again for all the photographs. I am certainly enjoying them.
Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Rogan

• Beetle daisy
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2015, 06:50:10 PM »
It always gives me great pleasure talking about SA and all its plants and animals. I don't mind answering your questions at all, Robert. If you feel they may be off-topic, please feel free to contact me via the personal message system but, I know our gracious moderators do not mind the occasional off-topic foray and, often encourage it  ;D

Robert

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2015, 12:41:27 AM »
This is great. I look forward to more sights of South Africa through your photographs.  :)
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Rogan

• Beetle daisy
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2015, 07:58:51 PM »
I went by my favorite patch again today and photographed this fine trio (Haworthia mirabilis) - they look as though crafted from the finest confectionery...

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal