We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Aconitum from Seed  (Read 8636 times)

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
Re: Aconitum from Seed
« Reply #45 on: March 03, 2019, 12:40:22 AM »
Helped greatly by this forum (this thread in particular, thanks all!) I have managed to germinate some fresh seeds of A. incisofidum. Now that they are up, I'm wondering at what stage to prick them out/repot? Only the cotyledons are currently showing, so probably better to wait for a bit?

Thanks in advance,
Marco

There is a lot to learn here in the forum Marco, that's for sure.

I would say it depends how thick your sowing is. If you have lots of seedlings in a small pot (like I showed A. alboviolaceum) I would advise to prick them as soon as possible, or when you see that the first leaf wants to grow. Be gentle, water well; they will be OK. (tip - let the pot dry out before pricking, small roots break more easily if the mix is too wet/heavy).

If your sowing is not too thick, then wait a bit longer but not until May - in my opinion. Aconitums have quite robust seedlings and they like to get going fast. The sooner they have more space the better they grow, just like Helleborus seedlings. If you wait too long they will stagnate in growth.
Good growing!

Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Gabriela

« Reply #46 on: December 23, 2019, 11:49:45 PM »
My Christmas gift - the revised notes on Aconitum germination.
Notable from last year sowings: Aconitum moldavicum from 2 different sources, no germination, maybe next spring.

If someone else has kept notes on germination last year (of well ID species), I'm happy to incorporate them.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2019, 11:52:34 PM by Gabriela »
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Véronique Macrelle

« Reply #47 on: December 24, 2019, 06:33:45 AM »
for Aconitum hemsleyanum:
sowing from SRGC seeds (therefore dried for a few months):
-  without GA3: no germination after 3 spring (attempted 2 times)
-with Ga3 (750 ppm): some germinations on the 1st spring

-fresh seeds sown immediately in autumn: (with ga3) no germination the first spring.

I am unfortunately not sure that my few beautiful seedlings (in pot ) succeeded in the summer of 2019, too hot. ???

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #48 on: December 24, 2019, 02:16:12 PM »
Thank you Gabriela for the notes.
For me A.moldavicum didn't germinate either the first year, I'm glad to know it wasn't maybe my fault, and it could germinate next spring. A.kusnetzovii germinated the first year fine.
Leena from south of Finland

P. Kohn

« Reply #49 on: December 24, 2019, 02:27:01 PM »
Thanks, Gabriela. Very helpful. I sowed 4 pots of frsh Aconitum yezoense seeds (16 per pot) on 9th November nad a couple of days ago got first germinations (approximately 5 so far out of 64).  None of the others sown at a similar time (japonicum, lamarkii,loczyanum.prolifrum and subcuneatum) have shown any signs of germination yet. All are in a small wall 'greenhouse' exposed to outside temperatures. I have just discovered PEG6000 as a tool to soften hard coated seeds so will experiment shortly.

P. Kohn

« Reply #50 on: December 24, 2019, 02:56:38 PM »
I should have said that last year the only successful germinations in the first year were fourf Acoitum lczyanum and teo proliferum, both in early March so the December germinations of A. yezoense were a real surprise.

Gabriela

« Reply #51 on: December 24, 2019, 05:17:16 PM »
for Aconitum hemsleyanum:
sowing from SRGC seeds (therefore dried for a few months):
-  without GA3: no germination after 3 spring (attempted 2 times)
-with Ga3 (750 ppm): some germinations on the 1st spring

-fresh seeds sown immediately in autumn: (with ga3) no germination the first spring.
I am unfortunately not sure that my few beautiful seedlings (in pot ) succeeded in the summer of 2019, too hot. ???

Thanks Véronique, I made a note with your findings. I will add to the table in the spring when I hope to also have more results.
There can be differences in germination depending on the source of seeds.
But regarding having no germination from fresh seeds? - it is something that I would repeat again before adding in the table.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Gabriela

« Reply #52 on: December 24, 2019, 05:19:07 PM »
Thank you Gabriela for the notes.
For me A.moldavicum didn't germinate either the first year, I'm glad to know it wasn't maybe my fault, and it could germinate next spring. A.kusnetzovii germinated the first year fine.

It will be interesting to see about A. moldavicum Leena if some seeds will germinate in 2020 spring. It may be one of the more recalcitrant species.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Gabriela

« Reply #53 on: December 24, 2019, 05:26:18 PM »
Thanks, Gabriela. Very helpful. I sowed 4 pots of frsh Aconitum yezoense seeds (16 per pot) on 9th November nad a couple of days ago got first germinations (approximately 5 so far out of 64).  None of the others sown at a similar time (japonicum, lamarkii,loczyanum.prolifrum and subcuneatum) have shown any signs of germination yet. All are in a small wall 'greenhouse' exposed to outside temperatures. I have just discovered PEG6000 as a tool to soften hard coated seeds so will experiment shortly.

Yes, some species can have a rapid germination when sown very fresh - A. alboviolaceum and A. lyctotonum as well.

As it was pointed in an early discussion, the seeds of Aconitum species have an underdeveloped embryo at maturity (of the seeds). This is the cause of delayed or sometimes failed germination, not a hard seed coat.

The substances used to create polyethylene glycols (PEGs)  are strong pollutants!!! so why use it when there are alternatives available?

Soaking seeds with a hard tegument in warm water for few weeks, or applying 'shocks' with hot water, both work well.
Also, scarification of the seedcoats and nicking are done in the same purpose, to allow water to penetrate easily inside the seeds, which is most important for the start of various processes involved in germination.

Again, these are treatments to apply for seeds with known hard seedcoats, not for species with underdeveloped embryos (case for most Ranunculaceae).
« Last Edit: December 26, 2019, 06:58:56 PM by Gabriela »
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal