We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Aconitum from Seed  (Read 8774 times)

P. Kohn

Aconitum from Seed
« on: September 14, 2015, 05:29:42 PM »
We regard ourselves as fairly successful at growing perennials from seed but one genus with which we are spectacularly unsuccessful is Aconitum. Does anyone have any experience with this genus and helpful advice please ?

Tristan_He

Re: Aconitum from Seed
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2015, 08:35:07 PM »
Hi there, I don't have masses of experience with Aconitum. However, like other Ranunculaceae, Aconitum seed has limited viability and so needs to be sown as soon as possible after collection. Seed from most of the major seed companies is likely to give poor results - get it from a friend or forum member.

Best

Tristan

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2015, 02:37:09 AM »
We regard ourselves as fairly successful at growing perennials from seed but one genus with which we are spectacularly unsuccessful is Aconitum. Does anyone have any experience with this genus and helpful advice please ?

As Tristan said, Aconitum seeds have short viability and best if sown fresh, but if they are kept slightly moist after collecting (at warm and after late fall, cold) they can be sown any time till spring. It is the same method used for many North American spring flowering woodland species (Sanguinaria, Erythronium, Podophyllum, Hepatica) in order to extend the seeds availability.
Gabriela
Ontario, Canada, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

arisaema

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2015, 05:21:50 AM »
Agreed, if you get fresh or moist packed seeds they are dead easy with nearly 100% germination. Basically just sow them in your regular mix, and throw them outside in a cold frame. Garden's North usually offer fresh, moist packed seeds later in the season: http://www.gardensnorth.com/

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2015, 07:26:57 AM »
I have sown dry Aconitum seeds many times, and they germinate in masses after two  winters (two cold periods). I keep Aconitum pots outside under the snow where it gets colder than in the fridge. The same treatment works also with Actaea.
Leena from south of Finland

Afloden

• why not ask him..... he'll know !
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2015, 05:05:33 PM »
Like many Ranunculaceae, Aconitum are fall germinators in my experience and will then put up the cotyledons in the spring. After the root forms these need to go dormant, but too much cold will often freeze these and kill them if in unprotected pots. Too much warmth won't allow dormancy requirements to be met so they rot during the next season, and too much dryness will also kill them (as would wet!). I sow them direct and germination is nearly 100%. Sadly its too hot and humid in the summer here to grow many species, but a few Korean ones do really well.

Aaron
Missouri, at the northeast edge of the Ozark Plateau

P. Kohn

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2015, 04:25:18 PM »
Thanks everyone. We'll try sowing our own seed as soon as ripe but this doesn't help with aquiring new species. We'll just hope that some older seeds will cooperate after a couple of winters

Gabriela

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2018, 02:18:49 AM »
Aconitum species: alboviolaceum, orientale, cymbulatum and rubicundum - germination in the second year.

The seeds were received in mid January so not that 'old', and I cannot say if the GA3 really made a difference. In any case there are noticeable differences between species, and good to take note. There is also Aconitum firmum with very low germination like rubicundum.

Anyone else has data on other species, regarding germination from dry kept seeds?

I am posting here one more image with the Aconitum alboviolaceum grown seedlings, I couldn't keep them all but at least I was able to share some.
628158-1

« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 11:54:10 PM by Gabriela »
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

kris

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2018, 05:48:47 PM »
So many seedling there Gabriela. ;)
The Trillium grandiflorum I got from you started germinating. Only two now.Hope to get more.
Saskatoon,Canada
-35C to +30C

Gabriela

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2018, 02:26:52 AM »
So many seedling there Gabriela. ;)
The Trillium grandiflorum I got from you started germinating. Only two now.Hope to get more.

Yes Kris, unfortunately many will be sacrificed because I have an overcrowding problem as it is with the pots at this time.
The Trilliums should all germinate in due time, don't want to post pictures here.

I hope others will share their experience with other Aconitum species; it would be useful to know the ones for which the germination is not affected by dry storing the seeds for a few months. This means from fall - Jan./Feb., precisely the time for receiving seeds from seeds exchanges.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Véronique Macrelle

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2018, 07:21:09 AM »
oh yes, the GA3 has made a difference!
3 years that I order  and sows Aconitum hemsleyanum and no seedling.
 Aconitum alboviolaceum: a single seedling (same stage as yours)  the 2nd spring on a very large number of seeds.
Aconitum arctuatum: nothing after the 2nd spring
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 04:02:49 PM by Véronique Macrelle »

Gabriela

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2018, 02:07:33 PM »
oh yes, the GA3 has made a difference!
3 years that I order  and sows Aconitum hemsleyanum and no seedling.
 Aconitum alboviolaceum: a single seedling (same stage as yours)  the 2nd spring on a very large number of seeds.
Aconitum arctuatum: nothing after the 2nd sping

Thank you Véronique.
I should probably open a separate thread for Aconitum, otherwise it will get lost here.

Alonsoa seedlings are interesting; I'm not familiar with it but there are other species with secretory glands that are not carnivorous.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

sokol

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2018, 05:30:18 AM »
I took pictures of all Aconitum that I have sown since 2017 yesterday. I did not use GA3 and germination was good, better than in some years before.
Two of them were sown at 03.01.2018.
Stefan
Southern Bavaria, zone 7a

Véronique Macrelle

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2018, 09:25:37 AM »
I still have some progress to make with Aconitum!

Gabriela

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2018, 01:06:25 PM »
I took pictures of all Aconitum that I have sown since 2017 yesterday. I did not use GA3 and germination was good, better than in some years before.
Two of them were sown at 03.01.2018.

Thank you Stefan - I am taking notes :)

It is very interesting to see and puzzling. I could only explain it by the different origin of the mother plants.

In what conditions you kept the 2017 and 2018 sowings please?

I would give you all my Aconitum seedlings for your A. anthora.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal