We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Alpine Campanula seed - spring or autumn sowing?  (Read 1187 times)

Tristan_He

Alpine Campanula seed - spring or autumn sowing?
« on: September 08, 2015, 11:29:41 PM »
Any thoughts or advice? I have some seed from several Campanulas collected on my travels, and am wondering whether to sow now or wait until spring.

On the whole I prefer to sow as fresh as possible, but Campanula seed is small and there won't be much time for any seedlings to reach a reasonable size by winter, when they will be vulnerable to wet and slugs. So perhaps better to wait until spring?

Any advice appreciated.

Tristan

Matt T

• Nuts about Narcissus
Re: Alpine Campanula seed - spring or autumn sowing?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 12:48:29 AM »
I sowed C.barbata last autumn, which promptly germinated so then I had exactly the problem you identify of bringing tiny seedlings through the long winter. Seed of C.versicolor collected from the wild last November I saved until the beginning of March when it was sown and germinated well. There may be some species that need winter chilling, but based on my experience with these two species I'd be inclined to wait until the spring. Of course, if you have enough seed you could sow a pinch now and the rest in the spring?
Matt Topsfield
Isle of Benbecula, Western Isles where it is mild, windy and wet! Zone 9b

"There is no mistake too dumb for us to make"

Tristan_He

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2015, 10:44:49 PM »
Thanks Matt. I think I will save most of it for the spring then. I've already sown a bit of C. barbata which I had quite a bit of.

astragalus

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2015, 03:20:37 AM »
Matt, how and where do you save your seed when you want to delay for spring sowing?
Steep, rocky and cold in the
Hudson River Valley in New York State

Matt T

• Nuts about Narcissus
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2015, 09:08:22 AM »
Hi Anne,
All my seed is kept in glassine packets at cool room temperature. Our house is relatively cool compared to most, around 15oC year round. This means that any seed that needs to continue to develop in 'warmth' can do so. I suppose there is some seed that might be better kept in a fridge, but hope that our relatively cool house will keep them ticking over. Still learning though from my own successes and failures.
Matt Topsfield
Isle of Benbecula, Western Isles where it is mild, windy and wet! Zone 9b

"There is no mistake too dumb for us to make"

astragalus

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2015, 01:15:40 PM »
Thanks, Matt.  Aren't we all in the 'learning stage'?  I'm still in the process of learning how little I know - that's gardening.  And that's one of the reasons you get up in the morning - to learn something new.
Steep, rocky and cold in the
Hudson River Valley in New York State

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2015, 01:22:52 PM »
Any thoughts or advice? I have some seed from several Campanulas collected on my travels, and am wondering whether to sow now or wait until spring.

On the whole I prefer to sow as fresh as possible, but Campanula seed is small and there won't be much time for any seedlings to reach a reasonable size by winter, when they will be vulnerable to wet and slugs. So perhaps better to wait until spring?

Any advice appreciated.

Tristan
I sowed one year Campanula alpina in late February (under lights) and it germinated very well. The seeds were fresh collected by me in late summer, and I kept them in glassine envelopes in the fridge. I usually keep freshly collected seeds at room temperature for about 2 weeks and then packed and place them in the fridge in the crisper sector with the humidity set on low (except the ones that require a warm period for maturation). The glassine envelopes are also enclosed in a big Ziploc bag. Many alpines keep very well this way.
Gabriela
http://botanicallyinclined.org
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal