We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: When to repot  (Read 1709 times)

Jack Meatcher

When to repot
« on: September 04, 2015, 06:13:22 PM »
I keep seeing or hearing references to repotting bulbs in August. I'm wondering if that may be too late. This year, I emptied a pot out in June because I thought I'd lost the bulbs to rot. However, revealed was a selection of healthy bulbs with clear evidence of new root growth. On the 2nd September 2015, I emptied out a somewhat sad looking pot of N. rupicola ssp watierii to find a a collection of healthy bulbs with extensive root systems. My thoughts are: I should repot bulbs in early Summer so that the root systems are damaged or disturbed the least? Also, if I haven't kept the pots completely dry during the Summer, does that prompt precocious root development?
Any thoughts on the timing of re-potting, anybody?

Learner Jack
The Learner

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
  • Why grow one bulb when you can grow two:-))
    • Direct link to the Bulb Log SRGC
Re: When to repot
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2015, 06:50:50 PM »
Jack, when your bulbs go start to show signs of going dormant in late spring/ summer you should allow them to dry out - for us this is usually from mid May into early June.
Once they are dry you can repot them any time before watering them again in September.
If the compost remains moist and the temperature is cool roots can form any time making it difficult to repot without damage.
If you see roots present you can always top dress the pot by tipping off the compost above the bulb and replace that without disturbing the bulb and any roots.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 01:21:24 AM by Ian Y »
Ian Young, Aberdeen North East Scotland   - 
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/index.php?log=bulb

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2015, 10:56:40 AM »
You can repot tulips as late as November.
Ralph Carpenter near Ashford, Kent, UK. USDA Zone 8 (9 in a good year)

Matt T

• Nuts about Narcissus
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2015, 06:37:23 PM »
Bear in mind that some bulbs, like some Narcissus bulbocodium, may be almost evergreen - the are never really without green foliage/roots. In this case it's definitely better to repot sooner rather than later, i.e. forego some of the old roots rather than the new ones that will come to support the plant in the season ahead.
Matt Topsfield
Isle of Benbecula, Western Isles where it is mild, windy and wet! Zone 9b

"There is no mistake too dumb for us to make"

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2015, 12:15:39 AM »
I have a pot of N bulbocodium that never went dormant this year
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Jack Meatcher

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2015, 09:37:45 AM »
Many thanks for your informative replies. I think I'll have to improve my self-discipline and resist the temptation to water between late May and September. I managed it this Summer with my N. viridiflorus pots (bulbs and seeds) but not all my Ns, Fs and Ts.

Jack
The Learner

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal