We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Which Colchicum  (Read 2376 times)

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
Which Colchicum
« on: January 21, 2008, 06:55:22 PM »
Today I saw at the weekly Flowershow in Lisse this Colchicum, from Sierra de  Gador (2000m.)
 in S. Spain without a name.
I hope somebody can help me.
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
Re: Which Colchicum
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 11:25:00 AM »
Luit, what's about Colchicum triphyllum ? Sometimes it has more than 3 leaves. I didn't know that until I had a closer look at my plants today.
I add a  (poor) pic of my pot, although the 4 leaves are not clearly visible - you have to trust me :)
The plants are more leggy than usual.

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 03:39:24 PM »
Luit, what's about Colchicum triphyllum ? Sometimes it has more than 3 leaves. I didn't know that until I had a closer look at my plants today.
I add a  (poor) pic of my pot, although the 4 leaves are not clearly visible - you have to trust me :)
The plants are more leggy than usual.

Gerd
Thank you Gerd, that is possibly the same plant (despite your picture).
I'm not worrying about the number of leaves, because when it is a plant from the mediterranean countries, it is always possible that differs a little, depending on the habitat.
I'll tell my friend what we know until now.
Thanks again being so helpful
Luit
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

art600

• Travels light, travels far
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 02:10:52 PM »
I would appreciate identification of the following 3 colchicums.  I am hoping that the white colchicum might be 'Cretan White'.  Apologies for the none too brilliant picture of the small colchicum - this is growing on sand and I did not want to disturb the roots to photograph it in a better location - it started flowering in October and eventually produced 6 flowers.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 05:08:04 PM by art600 »
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 01:27:04 PM »
Well - three questions in one!
The first one might be C cupanii which I rate the most common in cultivation but there are several other possibilities.  But do I detect hairs on the leaves?  If so it should not be C cupanii!
The second one, perhaps C bivonae as it appears to be tesselated.
The third is a mystery to me. 
Are we assuming these are all true species rather than garden hybrids?

art600

• Travels light, travels far
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2008, 12:50:55 AM »
Tony
The first has hairs and resembles hungaricum, but bloomed in October/November.

The second could be bivonae, but I did not know I had it - have been sowing seed from AGS & SRGC to make sure I did have it.

I am hoping the last one is macrophyllum 'Cretan White'.  I was given one and it curiously split into many parts - rather like Crocus can do when the growing tip is damaged.  I then admit I lost track of the small bulbs.  I have three of these that have come up for the last two years.  They are just producing their leaves - if not eaten they might provide a clue.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 01:25:39 PM by art600 »
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal