We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Developing a Garden in Bo'ness, Scotland  (Read 26653 times)

Graham Catlow

Developing a Garden in Bo'ness, Scotland
« on: September 03, 2015, 08:02:57 PM »
On the 2nd June we 'upped sticks' lock stock and 20 troughs, dozens of pots and all the garden plants from our home in Edinburgh to our new one in Bo'ness, 30 minutes (depending on commuter traffic) North West of Edinburgh.
Background to the move is in another thread (Moving On) in the Members Board of the forum.
Some of the initial photos in this thread will be familiar to those who have followed the Moving On thread.
I decided to keep a selection of photos for my personal memory of how the garden develops over the years and thought I would share it on the forum.
At this time I have a mix of getting some of the plants from the garden planted to keep them alive so the beds may well be nursery beds until I get round to a full design which may be some years away.

The first set of photos are of the garden as it was when we moved in. It is a very simply planted garden which has not been managed well in the last few years. I'm very pleased about this as I don't feel too guilty about a complete renovation. We looked at a couple of houses with mature gardens which would have been more difficult to put my stamp on.

I hope you enjoy the development as it progresses.

Bo'ness. Scotland

Graham Catlow

Re: Developing a Garden in Bo'ness, Scotland
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 08:05:19 PM »
And the back garden.

Bo'ness. Scotland

Graham Catlow

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 08:37:04 PM »
The first photo is an overview of the front garden (from a bedroom window) prior to any work being done.

One of the first things I did was fill an almost empty bed in the front garden with my dwarf Rhododendrons, Lilies, Peionies and some herbaceous perennials. As I said before this is likely to be a nursery bed for now.

Taming the privet hedge was one of the early jobs. It was too wide and too tall. It's likely that it will be removed eventually and be replaced with a wrought iron fence. But for now I need something to keep Hugo in. It was quite a task. Someone suggested it hadn't been as short as the final cut in 30 years. And the amount of litter uncovered; wine, vodka, whiskey and an assortment of beer bottles, cans, someones rotting jacket and an assortment of other items was quite a haul. There used to be a miners welfare club next door so I suspect the bottles are from late night drinkers as they passed the house on their way home.

Photos-
Hugo
The hedge
First prune
Litter
Final height and greening up nicely 10 weeks later.

Bo'ness. Scotland

Graham Catlow

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2015, 08:45:50 PM »
Nearly forgot to show you the Dwarf Rhodo. nursery bed
The bed was almost empty so it was quite easy to deal with.
There were two Hydrangeas in the bed which I left and I am really pleased I did as they turned out to be a fabulous shade of blue. They are the only things in the garden that I will keep.

Bo'ness. Scotland

Chris Johnson

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2015, 10:22:25 PM »
Hi Graham

I like these developmental stories and look forward to future instalments. Exciting times ahead.
South Uist, Outer Hebrides

astragalus

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2015, 10:42:06 PM »
Graham, where will your wonderful troughs be placed?
Steep, rocky and cold in the
Hudson River Valley in New York State

Graham Catlow

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2015, 11:17:00 PM »
Exciting times indeed Chris!

Anne - I'm not sure yet. They are stored down one side of the house at the moment. They will probably be incorporated into the front garden design but that's in my head at the moment along with a hundred other ideas. Prepping the ground and keeping things tidy are the main tasks at the moment.
More instalments soon.
Bo'ness. Scotland

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2015, 01:04:51 AM »
Hi Graham,
Looking forward to seeing things develop!
The colour of the hydrangeas shows you picked the right place for a rhodie bed ;D
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2015, 09:53:08 AM »
Seconded.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Matt T

• Nuts about Narcissus
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2015, 09:57:19 AM »
Graham, so pleased to see the beginning of this thread after the journey you've been on. Will follow the development of your new garden with interest. Happy gardening!
Matt Topsfield
Isle of Benbecula, Western Isles where it is mild, windy and wet! Zone 9b

"There is no mistake too dumb for us to make"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2015, 02:05:11 PM »
My first thoughts on seeing the garden was that I'd plant the front intensively- place all the troughs etc and keep most of the rear garden clear for a Hugo Playground! ;)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Graham Catlow

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2015, 08:59:43 PM »
I'm pleased this development will be followed and hope you enjoy what you see as much as I will enjoy creating it.

Maggi the back garden will indeed be left mainly to grass (moss, weeds etc), it will never be a lawn, for Hugo and the front will develop how I want it even though Hugo enjoys being out there on the grass with me whilst I am working.

I forgot to show the overview of the front garden yesterday so here it is today.

Bo'ness. Scotland

Graham Catlow

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2015, 09:02:51 PM »
The east border was the next job tackled and the photos are how it developed.
It was full of bluebells (blue, white and pink) and whilst I like the blue ones in woodland settings I didn't want them in a border and I really don't like pink or white ones. There were forget-me-nots and random daffodils also.
I cleared them all out - although I suspect there will be bluebells coming through for many years to come - those I missed and seedlings.
As with all the garden clearing this took some time due to tree roots near the surface and age related fitness levels. ::)
It is now planted with Agapanthus and Astilbe 'Sprite' and a Hosta. These were brought from the previous garden.
Bo'ness. Scotland

angie

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2015, 09:36:57 PM »
Graham looking forward to this new garden of yours. Loved your last one but I can imagine this will be even more special.

Angie  :)
ps can I babysit Hugo some time, just think he is so cute.
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2015, 09:40:28 PM »
I'm with you, Angela - Hugo welcome here anytime - Megan would LOVE him!

The Agapanthus are looking really terrific.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal