We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Moisture Meters  (Read 2737 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Moisture Meters
« on: February 12, 2008, 08:25:03 PM »
For ages I have been looking for a moisture meter with a very slim probe, all the ones available in garden centres are, to my mind, to thick and can damage roots. Someone I know told me of one that worked from a watch battery and had a rigid galvanised wire probe. If a plant was nicely damp music played when the probe entered the soil and if the plant was dry no music was forthcoming. Has anyone else heard of these and does anyone know if they are available?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

David Shaw

• SRGC Publications Manager
Re: Moisture Meters
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 08:35:21 PM »
This sounds all very scientific, David. What music does it play?

Desert Song            -    too dry
Singing in the Rain    -    perfect
Theme from 'Titanic'  -   too wet

;D ;D
David Shaw, Forres, Moray, Scotland

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 08:51:27 PM »
This sounds all very scientific, David. What music does it play?

Desert Song            -    too dry
Singing in the Rain    -    perfect
Theme from 'Titanic'  -   too wet

;D ;D

;D ;D ;D

David it was made in China apparantly (aren't most things these days!) so maybe you order your tunes by numbers ;)
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 08:57:06 PM »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008, 07:50:23 PM »
Could it be these ?.......
http://www.virtualvillage.com/Items/003910-003?sck=365220
Singing bird moisture meter   $7.99   one prong

http://www.giftedstore.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1448&osCsid=4025e32c3f4dfda0e094fe912516fb05      $17.50  2 prongs

Thanks for that Maggi, it came in after the 'witching hour'- I'd gone for a pint! Think I shall carry on looking though as these are in Oz and The States and the postage will probably cost more than the thing is worth.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2008, 08:03:48 PM »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2008, 08:08:02 PM »
That's more like it I'll give them a ring and find out about the thickness of the probes. That was really the crux of the matter and I don't really have a singing creature fetish. :-[
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2008, 03:56:31 AM »
David,

Just catching up with this section of teh forum, so I am a bit behind...... My concerns would be with the thinner probe, not the thicker one.  I would feel that the thicker probe was pushing roots out of the way, whereas a thinner probe would just puncture stright on through anything it encounters?  I think I'd be preferring the occasional broken root rather than holes punctured through a series of roots (or bulbs or whatever)?

Just a thought.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal