We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Problematic Snowdrops  (Read 1717 times)

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
Problematic Snowdrops
« on: September 04, 2016, 03:06:29 AM »
Repotting snowdrop of late I find some consistently have annoying behaviours.  Two in particular are 'Sophie North' and 'Colossus', while most others form new dry, shiny tunics beneath old dry black tunics these two have slippery black, wet, old tunics.  One would think they were battling stag or some kind of rot beneath yet once these old tunics are wiped away the new tunics eventually dry showing no sign of disease.  Also worrisome though as if not properly placed in the garden I reckon they wouldn't last long at all.  Have others experience the same?

john
John in coastal Nova Scotia

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
Re: Problematic Snowdrops
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2016, 09:19:48 AM »
Could this be just that these bulbs weren't as dry when you lifted them?
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2016, 08:15:29 PM »
In my experience dry bulbs have dry tunics and badly infected dry bulbs have a dry outer husk with very little live material left in the centre.

Bulbs that have been in wet soil or compost often have wet old tunics which are usually slippery and black.  If the bulbs is diseased then the tunic appears thicker than normal and may be foul-smelling.  But you may find what appears to be good live material beneath.

If I do find disease (which fortunately happens infrequently) it is Stag; other diseases may show different manifestations.
Almost in Scotland.

johnw

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2016, 12:16:41 AM »
These two cultivars were given fast-draining mixes because of this problem and despite the dry mix upon de-potting it's the same every year.  I'm going to try planbting some vigorous seeds in these particular pots as I once did.

john

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2016, 04:31:04 PM »
... despite the dry mix upon de-potting it's the same every year.

It cannot represent a major problem or your would not have many years of experience of it.  I don't own 'Sophie North' and have never noticed anything exceptional about dormant bulbs of 'Colossus'.  It did take me three attempts to establish it, however.   
Almost in Scotland.

johnw

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2016, 05:13:23 PM »
It cannot represent a major problem or your would not have many years of experience of it.  I don't own 'Sophie North' and have never noticed anything exceptional about dormant bulbs of 'Colossus'.  It did take me three attempts to establish it, however.   

Alan

True enough but the scenario would seem the perfect set-up for an inevitable disease outbreak.  Really I think only the name 'Colossus' is the draw,  it is likely superceded by superior look-alikes wouldn't you think?

I wonder what the life span of a single snowdrop bulb is?  I recall I had a solitary and quite small NIVALIS 'APPLEBY'  bought in 1996 that according to the records only started to offset around 2008 to a total of 3 small ones, 4 in 2011, gave a couple away in 2012, and had a whopping 5 small ones at last count in 2014.  Much the same for Potterton's 1996 "caucasicus".

johnw

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2016, 08:17:57 PM »
For me, the main virtue of 'Colossus' is its early flowering time.  Where I live that's typically in the first week or two of January.  'Colossus' is a great name that is not lived up to.  It's not particularly large in any respect when it flowers and who cares after that?
Almost in Scotland.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal