We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus plicatus 'Wandlebury Ring' ?  (Read 22748 times)

jamouatt

Re: Galanthus plicatus 'Wandlebury Ring' ?
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2008, 08:30:04 PM »
Yes and no. To my eyes from Mark's three photos there are distinct differences in the size and shape of the coloured area of the inner petals. This makes me now think that my first photo is Bill Clarke as it is only half height. As to the colour differences that is another unknown to me. Does the colour change from year to year, the accuracy of the colours as vieved on photos and online etc?
Mark't shot of Galanthus plicatus 'Wandlebury Ring' shows a distinct V shape back to back (point part to point part).
John(M). in Bedfordshire

snowdropman

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2008, 08:31:17 PM »
Mmmmm. I like Wandlebury Ring. Guess it''ll have to go on my ever-increasing wants list? ::)
Anthony - it could be a long wait - this snowdrop seems to be rather weak in constitution and, as a consequence, rather prone to succumbing to stagonospora curtisii etc. I am trying to help a friend whose 'Wandlebury Ring' went down with stagno - in order to twin scale, we had to cut away virtually all of the layers of the bulb, but managed to get a reasonable number of chips which, thus far, are doing well - it will be interesting to see whether twin scaling has the effect of re-invigorating this snowdrop, in much the same way as has happened with g. elwesii 'Carolyn Elwes'.
Chris Sanham
West Sussex, UK

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2008, 08:35:11 PM »
David I have seen this snowdrop in only 3 gardens including one over here. While Wendy fetches around £15, and more on Ebay, I expect Wandlebury Ring to be up for auction when released or at least be around £40 to £50 from a supplier. I have no actual idea on costs those quoted are guesses. The one over here was a gift and those in England were flowering groups from twinscaled gifts. I'm sure the big boys are bulking it.
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2008, 08:41:36 PM »
Thanks Chris and Alan for your replies, can I pick up with you both on a couple of points please?

Alan, in your reply you refer to '.......the differences are not large, at least to the untrained eye......'. You are obviously an experienced Snowdrop grower but how would you go about explaining to the novice just what the differences are between Wandlebury Ring and Wendy's Gold firstly because I would like to know, but secondly, and more importantly, today's novice has to be tomorrow's expert.

Chris, you say '.......... looking for some evidence that it is what it says on the label....' Again, you are an experienced grower, I am a novice, so how do you tell me what to look for, or, are all of us, really, just second guessing?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2008, 08:46:58 PM »
David I have seen this snowdrop in only 3 gardens including one over here. While Wendy fetches around £15, and more on Ebay, I expect Wandlebury Ring to be up for auction when released or at least be around £40 to £50 from a supplier. I have no actual idea on costs those quoted are guesses. The one over here was a gift and those in England were flowering groups from twinscaled gifts. I'm sure the big boys are bulking it.

Mark, with respect you haven't answered my question. If Wandlebury Ring was to come on EBay at £50 and you bought it, grew it on and flowered it, the day would come when you would compare it to Wendy's Gold. How will YOU know that you haven't wasted your money and bought Wendy's Gold at over the odds. Sorry to go on but I really do want to know.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2008, 08:53:05 PM »
I wouldnt buy it from Ebay because that is where someone will sell Wendy as Wandlebury. I would only buy it from a supplier like the Snowdrop Company, Monksilver or off Avon's special list.

Out of interest do you own the snowdrop book?

snowdropman

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2008, 08:58:39 PM »
Chris, you say '.......... looking for some evidence that it is what it says on the label....' Again, you are an experienced grower, I am a novice, so how do you tell me what to look for, or, are all of us, really, just second guessing?

David - I think that the point I was trying to make was to try to buy from reliable sources, do not be afraid to ask questions to try and authenticate the snowdrop, before you pay out your money, obviously have a good look at the snowdrop before you buy it and compare it to known published sources e.g. 'Snowdrops' book, RHS Daffodils, Tulips & Snowdrops Yearbook etc.

A lot of comment has been made on the forum about the, at times, extraordinary prices being paid on ebay for snowdrops - I have no problem with someone spending their own money however they choose to do so, but I do worry that many of them are buying absolutely blind - the saving grace, at the moment, is that most of the sellers on ebay seem to be genuine snowdrop people and go to some lengths to ensure that what they sell 'is what it says on the label' - I hope that this will last, but fear that it will not.
Chris Sanham
West Sussex, UK

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2008, 09:01:19 PM »
I wouldnt buy it from Ebay because that is where someone will sell Wendy as Wandlebury. I would only buy it from a supplier like the Snowdrop Company, Monksilver or off Avon's special list.

Out of interest do you own the snowdrop book?

No Mark, I don't have the book and I don't think I shall ever grow enough varieties of 'Snowies' to make it worthwhile. So you would trust the supplier to get it right, but what if his supplier had got it wrong-then we all in the soup? ::)
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2008, 09:04:50 PM »
Matt says

Wendy mid '70s - mark and elongated V covering 2/3rds of the inner petal with two short raised arms
Bill '87- mark 2/5ths of the inner petal and a solid circular blotch except for the notch
Wandlebury '91 - mark 2/5th of the inner petal and an oval shape except for the notch. Taller than Wendy

Wendy has the largest mark
Wandlebury is a selected crossing between Wendy and other yellow snowdrops. Responds well to twinscaling

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2008, 09:05:36 PM »
David,

There had been an increased naming of snowdrop which have very little difference to others already in circulation. It has to be remembered that for a great many people snowdrops are a collecting hobby and while there are people who want to collect there will be  people who will make 'new' snowdrops available for them to collect - at a price.

We recently had mention of the amazingly high price of that newly available snowdrop, Ecusson d'Or (this was a guess at the spelling, I'm afraid). It is indeed amazing that someone paid so much but at the other end of this arrangement was a seller rubbing his/her hands together in glee. But, I suppose it was their money to spend as they wish. Too  much for my pocket though.

I think it better to spend some time looking through the snowdrop book and choosing those snowdrops which appeal to you. I imagine that the majority of those you choose will turn out to be tried and trusted cultivars and probably in existence for many years and so available at more reasonable prices.

There will always be snowdrops for which you will be willing to pay more - those which are distinctly different, have a connection with a person or place which has some significance to you. Many a snowdrop which is not particularly distinct can be treasured because of its connections.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2008, 09:30:49 PM »
Easy, one is two a penny and the other is hen's teeth

What, no other difference? Surely there must be or how would the expert know if he was paying top whack but getting the cheaper plant/ ???

The three flowers pictured are very different in the size and shape of the yellow mark. The two Ws have full marks, but Wandlebury's is forked at the top. This of course may not be a diagnostic feature but it is certainly one that I spotted, and that's without my specs on! 8)
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2008, 10:42:07 PM »
Mentioning 'Ecusson', rumour in England says I bought it on Ebay
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 10:53:34 PM by mark smyth »

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2008, 10:51:03 PM »
I think that rumour has just spread a little further Mark, but your secret's safe with me. ;)
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2008, 10:58:12 PM »

Alan, in your reply you refer to '.......the differences are not large, at least to the untrained eye......'. You are obviously an experienced Snowdrop grower but how would you go about explaining to the novice just what the differences are between Wandlebury Ring and Wendy's Gold firstly because I would like to know, but secondly, and more importantly, today's novice has to be tomorrow's expert.

David, flattering though it is, it is quite wrong to think I am an experienced grower.  I have only been growing snowdrops for a few years and have made more mistakes and had more bad 'luck' than many.  Snowdrops planted in some areas of my garden just do not reappear and I have yet to work out why.  A few years ago I constructed a raised bed devoted to snowdrops and this has been very successful so far, but who knows if this will last?  I have been mildly adept or lucky at finding new snowdrops and this has helped to keep me going.

I have Wendy's Gold and, after a very very shaky start, this is doing quite well for me.  I don't see the other two as being hugely different so would not spend large sums of money to acquire them.   It would be nice to have a similar yellow with a fuller mark on the inners, but that is the only area where I see room for improvement.       
Almost in Scotland.

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2008, 11:00:03 PM »
I personally think Bill Clark is a better flower

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal