We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Amaryllis belladonna  (Read 6396 times)

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
Re: Amaryllis belladonna
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2016, 05:03:12 AM »
Thanks Fermi,
that sounds sensible...
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

Anders

• InVitroOrchids
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2016, 07:41:29 PM »
Hi Gail

I have had Amaryllis belladonna at a south-west facing wall in Denmark since 2010, lots of leaves, no flowers yet. It survives the winter with some mulching, lowest air temperature was minus 18 degrees C for several nights. But I must say that I prefer the hybrid with Crinum moorei (xAmarcrinum memoria-corsii) that grows next to it and flowers year after year in October and November.

Anders

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2016, 08:05:03 PM »
That's interesting Anders. 
My unnamed clone(s) of A. belladonna also grow quite vigorously but rarely flower, maybe only once every 3-5 years.  However they did so this year and fortunately the weather has been fairly dry and calm so the flowers are lasting well.   
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Gail

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2016, 10:54:55 PM »
That is useful to know Anders; so long as I don't actually kill it I think I will be happy. I only moved here this year so don't yet know how low temperatures will get; I'm hoping that the close proximity of a huge maltings will provide a favourable microclimate!
Your x Amarcrinum is lovely - is it fragrant?
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

Anders

• InVitroOrchids
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2016, 07:56:34 AM »
Yes, both of my  xAmarcrinum memoria-corsii clones are fragrant, one is the clone 'Howardii' the other one was unnamed, but there is little difference so it might also be 'Howardii'. And I guess that my Amaryllis only survives the Danish winters because I mulch with 15 cm of dead leaves and some evergreen prunings on top.

By the way, has anyone ever tried to cross Amaryllis belladonna with Crinum bulbispermum to get Amarcrinums with striped petals?

Anders

Gail

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2019, 07:09:06 PM »
The Amaryllis belladonna 'Durban' that I bought in 2016 and assumed I'd killed as there was no sign of it at all last year, has got two flower spikes. Very lovely with a light sweet fragrance. It's leaning away from the wall a bit - if it were straight it would be 100cm tall.

651917-1
651919-2
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2019, 09:35:22 PM »
The Amaryllis belladonna 'Durban' that I bought in 2016 ...

Absolutely fabulous 8)
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal