We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Bulb Log #26  (Read 3434 times)

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
Bulb Log #26
« on: July 01, 2015, 02:35:27 PM »
Ian,

I found the photographic report of your trip to Golspie very fascinating! The scenery was spectacular and the plants very interesting. It is amazing to see Linnaea borealis also growing in your wet climate. Here in El Dorado County, California it receives, more or less, no summer rainfall and yet thrives here too. It seems to thrive in many other parts of our planet.

Lotus corniculata has naturalized in parts of the Sierra Nevada Mountains, mostly at the higher elevations. Last year I found hundreds growing at an abandoned logging camp. They were quite lovely - I would not mind having a few in the garden, however I still have not gotten around to gathering seed.

Botrychium lunaria reminds me of our Parsley Fern, Cyrptogramma acrostichoides. It appears that it has both fertile and sterile fronds like our Parsley Fern.

Euphrasia officinalis is beautiful. I can see why one would want to grow it in a trough or the garden. I am sure it would not survive around here.

Lastly, I am glad to know that I am not the only one who often has difficultly photographing the wee wild plants.  :)

Fantastic! Thank you for sharing.

It is going to be 108 F (42 C) today. Very different from your part of the planet. Today is my outing day. I hope that I do not have to deal with a thunderstorm in the high country.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 02:37:50 PM by Robert »
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Chris Johnson

Re: Bulb Log #26
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 03:15:27 PM »
Ian

Another great blog. It's a little home-from-home for me except we have little in the way of estuaries. The best are on Harris but rather over-grazed.

I spent some time about three years ago looking at seaweeds and the coastal environment, but I have fingers in too many pies and names are not readily retained. We do have larges areas of the green seaweed (Ulva intestinalis), especially on the Atlantic coast,  and would suspect yours is the same.
South Uist, Outer Hebrides

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 03:35:22 PM »
Robert, we thought it might be very hot here today- but it is getting cooler and rain is about. We'd rather not have thunder either!

Giving the links here  for those just coming upon this page....

Bulb Log 26 -2015  This week in nature -Scottish wildflowers incl Primula scotica http://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/logdir/2015Jul011435747890BULB_LOG_2615comp.pdf

Video supplement to Bulb Log 26 - Primula scotica http://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/logdir/2015Jul011435747890BULB_LOG_2615comp.pdf
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
  • Why grow one bulb when you can grow two:-))
    • Direct link to the Bulb Log SRGC
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2015, 08:36:04 PM »
Thank you Robert, it is a nice change for the bulb log to go out into the field to look at the wild flowers, where my interest in plants firsts started when I was 11 years old.
We saw a number that I would welcome into our garden.
I like to spend a while looking around and assessing an area before I start to take photographs but this was not possible on this trip - plus I had to join the queue to get the photograph the there was also the poor weather to contend with.

Chris yes the landscape was much like your part of the world. Thanks for the name of the seaweed I have always been fascinated by them but have never got round to learninng the Latin names - I loved the lurid green.
Ian Young, Aberdeen North East Scotland   - 
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/index.php?log=bulb

Matt T

• Nuts about Narcissus
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2015, 07:37:37 AM »
This log marks the half way point through another bulb log year, bringing pleasure and insights to thousands. Congratulations and thanks, Ian!
M
Matt Topsfield
Isle of Benbecula, Western Isles where it is mild, windy and wet! Zone 9b

"There is no mistake too dumb for us to make"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
Re: Bulb Log #27
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2015, 07:38:25 PM »
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 03:34:59 PM by Maggi Young »

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
Re: Bulb Log #28
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2015, 03:36:48 PM »
http://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/logdir/2015Jul151436956306BULB_LOG_2815_plus.pdf

This week's Bulb Log  contains  a chapter from Ian Young's Erythroniums in  Cultivation - the first part of  of  growing in containers.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
Bulb Log #30 - 29th July 2015
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2015, 01:28:00 PM »

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2015, 02:12:48 PM »
How refreshing to see such a beautiful garden, especially this time of year. I hope everyone checks out the Bulb Log!

I know that I need some inspiration for the garden right now. 40 C temperatures certainly leaves our garden looking tired. The doe and her two fawns are eating the rest down to nothing! Well not quite. There are plants that they do not like. Drought and new folks moving in who do not grow anything has left the resident deer population very little. I was even able to catch one of the fawns yesterday! They destroy the deer fencing both going in and out. Better to catch them and let them go outside the fence than get hurt trying to smash through the fence.  :)
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2015, 02:46:33 PM »
Lovely to see all the Dactylorhiza, especially as ours has completely gone over.  What a difference 500 miles and the climate make!
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal