We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Narcissus July 2015  (Read 7120 times)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Narcissus July 2015
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2015, 10:52:07 PM »
Ahhhh..... so the Monster mini-splitter is back! Sorry Graham, you know by now that splits aren't for me though I have to say they are much more attractive in the tinies than in the walloping great fence posts we see at the daff shows.

Other than those, you have some lovely things there. When I have a super seedling as I occasionally do, I tend to pet it and lay down to worship but you have so many it makes my accidental treasures seem pretty ordinary really.

Thanks goodness spring is on the way even if not in the air yet, here anyway.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2015, 09:28:51 AM »
Great to see the daff season in full swing already!
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Mini-daffs

« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2015, 12:17:38 PM »
 ;D
Hi
Lesley, split miniatures and doubles are a fairly common goal for miniature hybridisers these days. There are a lot about that are infertile but the split of ours is fertile so I am hopeful that we will do some good hybridising with it. We have flowered a couple of good ones already but there is a lot of work remaining.
The question of what constitutes a super seedling in our case is usually the one that opens perfectly first up. We have flowered some really nice early seedlings but the two new ones that I really like are attached. The first is a superb exhibition quality miniature that will be able to be used for breeding more miniatures with perianths that are the equivalent of standard sized daffodils. The third one makes the list because it opens all white. It will help us to new range of miniature white cyclamineus hybrids.
Anne, the number flowering will increase dramatically over the next couple of weeks. What I have posted is really late winter flowering daffodils rather than spring and our current conditions are certainly cold. However, it is even colder where Fermi is. Tomorrow it will be 10 degrees in Melbourne while we have a subtropical 15 degrees!!
Graham, Canberra, Australia

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2015, 07:49:53 PM »
Strange, we had the same here last week!
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal