We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Autumn crocus and galanthus seeds  (Read 1019 times)

anita

Autumn crocus and galanthus seeds
« on: July 25, 2015, 07:46:29 PM »
Hi I've just collected seeds from autumn flowering crocus and galananthus.  I'm in South Australia in the Southern Hemisphere, so seeds are ripening now.  There are a range of crocus and Galanthus regiinae-olgae.
Should I sow immediately?
Night temps currently range between 1C (cold for us) and 7C (more typical) and days around  12 to 16C. However, as we head to August and September we'll start warming up.
Seeds of autumn flowering narcissus planted immediately after harvesting are already germinating.
Thanks Anita
Dry Gardener (rainfall not wine). Adelaide, South Australia. Max temp 45C min -1C

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Autumn crocus and galanthus seeds
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2015, 08:00:42 PM »
From an old Crocus Group Newsletter:
"Crocus seed has been shown to germinate best if sown during the higher temperatures of late summer before the lower temperatures of autumn and winter initiate germination. The best time for sowing is therefore at the same time as nature does it in the wild, that is when the ripe seed is expelled from the mature seedpod in late spring to early summer."

This Bulb Log of Ian Young may help too -
http://www.srgc.org.uk/bulblog/log2006/061206/log.html   - and Ian likes to sow all crocus seed as fresh as possible - so he would advise you to sow now.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal